Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,043 times

Advertisements

If you have an abhorrence for billboards, beltways, strip malls, and an auto-centric lifestyle like I do then I would stay out of west knoxville. If you don't like black people I'd avoid the 'near east.' If lower class white people scare you then avoid south knoxville. If its yuppies and hipsters you are trying to avoid then watch out for downtown and the Old City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
MsChocolate, the apartments on S HOF are subsidized housing with all the problems that can entail. But some complexes are managed better than others so you probably need to find out more information. The weigles near there is a notorious spot that I wouldn't venture into after dark, and I am a pretty brave/foolhardy person.

What are you comparing it to, where are you coming from and what are your other options?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
As much as I hate to infer this, I sometimes wonder if perceptions of these areas are tainted by race. Any "all black" neighborhood must be rough, right?
I'd say that this is probably 50% of the perception, 25% is probably due the the shabbiness of much of the built environment, and 25% comes from actual experience and facts on the ground. Sketchy looking loiterers are the main detriments of these areas, and the fact that they are mostly black or shabby looking white people doesn't help the fact

Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 PM

There are some very nice predominately black neighborhoods around Brooks road that were built up by AA middle/professional class residents prior to widespread integration.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 AM

8 posts, read 45,731 times
Thanks a lot for the reply

Old 12-18-2010, 12:37 AM

8 posts, read 45,731 times
Thanks Creeksitter! I am coming out a divorce and starting over. I need somewhere cheep to stay but safe. A friend of my told me about public housing. Even tho i never lived in public housing before, I just need it until i can get on my feet.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:54 AM

There are probably better managed complexes. I don't know if the police would be willing to give you guidance. There are a lot of new complexes off sutherland that might be OK, also some people I know live in a new complex on Davenport - Oak crest is I think the name. They run a pretty tight ship and the kids play freely and safely in the parking lot. But please don't move there if any of your kids are mean - one of the residents is my adopted grandson.

I've heard one south place is well managed, but if you move there keep your kids away from southmont which is a couple blocks away and is the major pits.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,137 times
I would reconsider and try to find somewhere else if it is not too late.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,694 times
Default Your families safety!!!

You definitely want to STAY AWAY from cherry street,magnolia, Martin Luther king blvd.......this entire area is very dangerous!!! As a matter of fact my brother & I just stopped off the exit to get gas and as he went in to pay 3 gun shots went off, he got pistol whipped, everything on his person got taken & they even took his clothes and shoes!!! Needless to say its NOT SAFE AT ALL!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblueeyez View Post
You definitely want to STAY AWAY from cherry street,magnolia, Martin Luther king blvd.......this entire area is very dangerous!!! As a matter of fact my brother & I just stopped off the exit to get gas and as he went in to pay 3 gun shots went off, he got pistol whipped, everything on his person got taken & they even took his clothes and shoes!!! Needless to say its NOT SAFE AT ALL!!!
When did this happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville