Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:26 AM

10 posts, read 46,690 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know which areas of Knoxville are bad? Where are the Moderator cut: bad areas ? The crime...drugs, robberies, rapes, assaults, gang activities...where do these most commonly take place? TIA

Last edited by Beretta; 08-14-2009 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: deleted word considered racist by some
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 04:00 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,623 times
Eastern, northern and parts of southern Knoxville usually have bad reputations.

Most of the Moderator cut: bad areas are in the eastern and parts of northern parts of Knoxville.

Western Knoxville, at large is alright, but illegal drugs and break-ins are common there.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just stay away from eastern Knoxville in the late evenings.

You could try contacting the Knoxville Police and Knox County Sheriff's to obtain crime stats - I don't know if they want money for it.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-14-2009 at 04:34 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 04:35 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCOKSTSOM View Post
I'd like to know which areas of Knoxville are bad? Where are the Moderator cut: bad areas ? The crime...drugs, robberies, rapes, assaults, gang activities...where do these most commonly take place? TIA
This website might help you with an answer to your question.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,128 times
East Knoxville has a reputation because of Magnolia Ave. But that is one street in an otherwise very nice area of the city. I walk my dog after dark and I feel safe. It gets so tedious hearing East Knoxville is bad because some paint it with a very broad brush.
Pam

Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
East Knoxville has a reputation because of Magnolia Ave. But that is one street in an otherwise very nice area of the city. I walk my dog after dark and I feel safe. It gets so tedious hearing East Knoxville is bad because some paint it with a very broad brush.
Pam
I agree, Pam.

I wouldn't put too much credence in a person who has not been back to this area in 20 years.

Moderator cut: best to not assume but to set the record straight all of Knoxville is wonderful. Truly. Even the ghetto area (parts of Magnolia) is very, very tame.

Be forewarned that we play well with others, here. It is one of the best places I have seen for integration.

You do not have to pay for crime stats. Our wonderful police department (a huge reason why our fine city is so safe!) is always happy to assist. In fact, the Knoxville Sentinel has wonderful maps showing crime in our area.

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-18-2009 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
"But that is one street in an otherwise very nice area of the city."

And here I thought I was the resident Pollyanna. There are some bad areas near Magnolia. But I own a rental property 1 block away and I can see a big improvement in the last 5 years. Thats on the Parkridge side which has a very active neighborhood assn.

Further east I know of very safe areas a few blocks from very dangerous ones. Its all in the microclimate.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 AM

To the poster of the #5 post -- how do you know if I have not been back to Knoxville in 20 years? I was in the city more recently. Please refrain from assuming too much. Thank you.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,596 times
Quote:
Eastern, northern and parts of southern Knoxville usually have bad reputations.
A broad generalization here which is just a personal opinion.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
A broad generalization here which is just a personal opinion.
Yeah? Who says it is not a personal opinion? Handful of people I have known over the years, have shared the same opinions to this day.

I grew up attending a private school in South Knoxville in the last 15-16 years. I spent plenty of times in South, North and East Knoxville, so I know what I am talking about.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
To the poster of the #5 post -- how do you know if I have not been back to Knoxville in 20 years? I was in the city more recently. Please refrain from assuming too much. Thank you.

You've said that you haven't been back to Knoxville in 15 to 20 years, based on several posts. You grew up in Loudon and that's where you go to visit.

I haven't been back to Mass. in 13 years. I don't comment on that forum.

People are coming here for information that can change their lives. I take giving them accurate information very, very seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville