Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
And I just wanted to say that Western Ave isn't all bad-just depends which side of Western--I live off Western and we are in a nice area
They mean the inner portion of Western Ave, east of i-640, commonly known as "Lonsdale". This area is not as bad as the hype, much safer than Mechanicsville (especially towards Pleasant Ridge). They may be referring to Western Heights, aka "the projects", that borders Mechanicsville on Western Ave. Past 640 is the 'burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 AM

47 posts, read 168,309 times
You can pretty much tell the moment you are in a bad area and it seems to hit pretty suddenly in Knoxville. West Knoxville is very nice and aren't too many areas I try to avoid, East Knox is a place you need to be careful of and some areas in North Knox.

Just keep your wits about you and remain aware of your surroundings at all times.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 PM

811 posts, read 2,009,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
They mean the inner portion of Western Ave, east of i-640, commonly known as "Lonsdale". This area is not as bad as the hype, much safer than Mechanicsville (especially towards Pleasant Ridge). They may be referring to Western Heights, aka "the projects", that borders Mechanicsville on Western Ave. Past 640 is the 'burbs.
yah, I know... I just moved from Baltimore, and even though it was a nice area the suburb I lived in had it's rough spots and people always looked at me like "oh, you live THERE" LOL--due to it's generalized reputation. So yep, I am still a dork and wanted to "rep" the west side of Western Ave, LOL

Old 02-16-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
yah, I know... I just moved from Baltimore, and even though it was a nice area the suburb I lived in had it's rough spots and people always looked at me like "oh, you live THERE" LOL--due to it's generalized reputation. So yep, I am still a dork and wanted to "rep" the west side of Western Ave, LOL
You are technically in west Knoxville, just the northern edge of it.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 PM

811 posts, read 2,009,926 times
glad you understood what I meant--thanks KOD!

Last edited by mysticfire0213; 02-16-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-04-2010, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,803 times
Just a quick note... My fiance does security at an apartment complex off of Magnolia (like right down the road from Cherry Street) and the neighboorhood has cleaned up quite a bit. I work evenings and overnights at an area hospital and haven't been bothered by anyone whenever I've come in at bizzare hours and Knox County patrols the area a lot more than they used to; my brother used to live in the area. It still has a long way to go, but it is A LOT safer than what is used to be and a LOT cleaner.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:45 AM

187 posts, read 460,312 times
Yeah Magnolia has cleaned up alot in recent years..It still has aways to go tho as long as Walter P Taylor homes is still around in the area...They are talking about re amping Magnolia tho and bring it back to what it was like back in the day..I would like to see all the projects torn down and replaced with some nicer Apts to lively up the area a bit...Driving thru there it gives most people the wrong impression...Magnolia isn't as bad as its rep says it is...MLK is far worse than Magnolia in my opinion

Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I finally went down there a few years ago after already living here a couple of years. I don't like bad areas.

Well, I couldn't believe it. I guess if you are from here or a very, very small town it might be a bit scary. Maybe. But I didn't think so.

In Florida, you can't miss the bad areas. The people are hanging all over the sidewalks, at the stores. Some will run right up to the car and ask if you want some dope.

Magnolia is nothing like that. I went down Cherry Street. Nothing. I've been on MLK, but further northeast, so maybe that is why, but it seemed like any residential street to me. I use to drive a friend home after work.

I "street viewed" Walter P. Taylor and it looked like the tamest housing project I have ever seen.

I guess it is your own perspective.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 AM

As much as I hate to infer this, I sometimes wonder if perceptions of these areas are tainted by race. Any "all black" neighborhood must be rough, right?

Old 07-05-2010, 04:39 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,862 times
This is a great topic. I'm going off to college in a few years ( I'm a Junior when summer ends) and I'm considering The University of Tennessee. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville