Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:34 PM

33 posts, read 41,024 times

Advertisements

Here is the best source for digital coverage and type of antennae you need.

AntennaWeb - Address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 05:17 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,826,124 times
Thanks James!
Hik that doesn't make sense...needing cable for HuluPlus. But I guess I don't know the answer.... we just unsubscribed from Hulu and only doing Netflix for now.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Thanks James!
Hik that doesn't make sense...needing cable for HuluPlus. But I guess I don't know the answer.... we just unsubscribed from Hulu and only doing Netflix for now.
Because some networks will not allow you to watch their shows online unless you can prove that you have cable.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,826,124 times
When I google it I can't find the answer, but I guess this is what you're referring to....when I wanted to watch the Olympics online, whatever site it was (ESPN?) made me login with my Dish account. However we haven't experienced this on the Roku yet.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 AM

510 posts, read 1,388,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I agree. I love Netflix!

I'm still trying to figure out if you have to have cable to get some shows on Hulu Plus. I know that, not that long ago, if you wanted to watch a network show, they wanted you to prove you had cable. I'm not sure if that changed. Otherwise, what is the point?
From what I understand that plain old Hulu (free, fewer choices with ads) and Hulu+ (subscription, more choices with fewer ads) was created by a consortium of three of the major broadcast networks owners 21th Century FOX, NBC/Universal/Comcast, and ABC/Disney. CBS chose not to participate. One would think that all content offered for a monthly fee on Hulu+ would be available to all Hulu+ subscribers. BUT, for fresh content available only over cable channels I suspect some, possibly all, existing carriage contracts prevent release to non-cable fee payers until some time elapses which allows the content to begin to mold over and be less marketable. This may be changing but not necessarily in a way to help your wallet.

Regarding CBS and the way the lobbying system in Washington insures ordinary citizens get value for their dollar (CBS info is primarily in last 6 paragraphs):

CBS' Idea of Choice: $5.99/Mo for CBS Library and Live Local CBS Station Streaming • Stop the Cap!

Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim37680 View Post
From what I understand that plain old Hulu (free, fewer choices with ads) and Hulu+ (subscription, more choices with fewer ads) was created by a consortium of three of the major broadcast networks owners 21th Century FOX, NBC/Universal/Comcast, and ABC/Disney. CBS chose not to participate. One would think that all content offered for a monthly fee on Hulu+ would be available to all Hulu+ subscribers. BUT, for fresh content available only over cable channels I suspect some, possibly all, existing carriage contracts prevent release to non-cable fee payers until some time elapses which allows the content to begin to mold over and be less marketable. This may be changing but not necessarily in a way to help your wallet.

Regarding CBS and the way the lobbying system in Washington insures ordinary citizens get value for their dollar (CBS info is primarily in last 6 paragraphs):

CBS' Idea of Choice: $5.99/Mo for CBS Library and Live Local CBS Station Streaming • Stop the Cap!
Sadly, I'm aware. At one point, ABC wouldn't allow viewing unless you put in your cable account info, and it was then verified. That has since changed. You have to have a verifiable cable account for Fox shows or wait a week. At one brief moment, I believe you had to have cable to get a lot of Hulu shows, which was beyond ridiculous.

In other news, there is no more "plus" in Hulu.

Why Hulu dropped the "Plus" from name - Business Insider

And I'll add that I recently cut the cable tv cord. I'm in a complex that only allows WOW and ATT U-Verse. I hate the latter and Wow is just, wow. After promises of upgrading the old Knology system, WOW ended doing nothing but laying off nine percent of its workforce. Then it brought in the fees. Last count, it was over $31 for fees, surcharges and taxes. This is above and beyond any other cable company in the area. They are doing the classic bad business move of "when in trouble, raise prices." They tell me it will be 65 cents in taxes and fees for just the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville