Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 02:03 PM

32,629 posts, read 77,807,982 times

Advertisements

Hello! Has anyone else experienced a defect with XM antennas that permits moisture to enter into the antenna, damaging it? I've had my XM system now for a little over one year, and surely enough the antenna was giving me some VERY spotty reception for the past few weeks before finally dying now, as my receiver just says "No Signal." I went to Best Buy and couldn't find just a replacement antenna, but I did find the XM SureConnect system, which I purchased, figuring it would permit me to now house my new antenna inside of the car, away from exposure to the harsh PA winter elements, which likely fried my old antenna.

I'm now shopping online for a new antenna to use a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.com I received last year, and I found this antenna for $26.60 that looks very promising:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Terk XMICRO2 Single Output High Performance Roof Mount XM Antenna

Any suggestions from my fellow satellite radio junkies? Why would XM sell a product that couldn't withstand the elements when they KNEW in advance that people use antennas on top of their vehicles? Needless to say I'm very unhappy right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,196,143 times
Winter freezing and summer heating is very hard on solder joints in electronic components. But I agree that 1 year is too soon for a device so passive as an antenna to fail. Are you sure it wasn't under warranty? It's likely that your particular antenna had some manufacturing flaw.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 AM

1,399 posts, read 7,716,225 times
Understand that in order for the non tec masses to "understand" stuff what is referred to as an antenna is really an "active antenna".

By active antenna I mean that the "antenna' is really an antenna AND a low noise narrow band preamplifier. This is done to mask the line losses (interconnect cable) which would otherwise add directly to the RF front end noise figure,...ie. decrease the input sensitivity. In short the Antenna is a Lot more than just an antenna..there's active circuitry in there powered from the head unit.

And so....there's a lot more to go wrong than thinking of it as just a passive antenna would lead one to believe.

For what it's worth.....

BTW...the exact same thing is true for GPS antennas as well. And it's true for sat tv dishes too...

Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,196,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Understand that in order for the non tec masses to "understand" stuff what is referred to as an antenna is really an "active antenna".
Good info, thanks for clarifying. I'm usually better versed in those details, but I've only had sat radio for about 9 months. It took me a few years to get interested in paying for radio.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:39 PM

32,629 posts, read 77,807,982 times
Thank you both for the insight. I was doing some research and read about several others, including another Pennsylvanian, who also had problems with their original XM antennas fizzling out on them. In my case there was noticeable moisture damage on the magnetic side (underside) of the antenna, and I suspect that since we've had a very dynamic winter the freeze/thaw cycles might have permitted moisture to seep underneath the antenna and then freeze overnight, eventually damaging it and rendering it unable to receive a signal.

I went ahead and ordered the $26.60 antenna, which thanks to free shipping and my gift certificate I'll be paying only $1.60 for. Not too shabby! Now thanks to the XM SureConnect system I also purchased I should be able to keep the antenna mounted somewhere inside of my car, away from the elements.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:38 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,482,693 times
I've had that problem with my Sirius satellite antennas. I went through four of them in a one year period and I took extra precautions to ensure that the antenna was as protected as possible while still giving me a good signal. It does seem moisture does get into the antenna. So, as a result, and because I hate Wal-Mart with a passion, I go to Wal-Mart, buy the $29.99 Sirius Satellite Radio setup (with antenna), bring it home, install it, take the old antenna out, clean it with some rubbing alcohol, package it all back up and return it with some bogus claim. Yeah, I know, I know, I'm bad, but I'm tired of paying $39.99 for antennas every couple of months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics