Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM

13 posts, read 24,082 times

Advertisements

Hooray!! We bought a home and are moving to Maryville in early March! We have been in Arizona for 5 years. It will be nice to get to TN; it already feels like home. Originally from Virginia and Kentucky, we picked the Smokies because we have loved the area for years, so decided to retire there, closer to friends and family. On our trip in October we found our home and 2 acres and closed on the property in December! Just been jumping for joy ever since.

This year we may be working on the fixing of the "fixer upper" part of the home. So, we wanted to know if anyone has opinions or advice on 2 things: 1 - Are there any discount house materials places other than retail, where we can get supplies for home improvements? 2 - I know it is early for this question, but Is there a good farmer's market nearby, or people who sell veggies from their gardens? We may not grow much of a garden the first year. Thanks so much to anyone who replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,382,992 times
There are some discount places around, Knoxville Rail Salvage is one, and I think there is a place in Sweetwater too. However, it really depends on what you are getting, because what they sell are seconds, discontinued items, or factory rejects.

I have had customers that wasted their money because what they ended up with was junk. However, some things don't really matter, as long as you pay close attention to the items.

There are also a couple places around East Town mall (flooring for one). However, when I was doing my bathroom and was shopping for tile, I could find nothing that was worth buying. Either the color lots were all messed up, or the prices were just about the same as retail, or they didn't have enough supply for my project. However, there were lots of other items that seemed to be priced OK. You have to know the value of what you are looking for before you go discount shopping.

I would not buy roofing, or siding at a discount supplier. Those are the two materials my customers had problems with. They found out there were no warranties on the materials. In fact with one siding job, they found out the materials were actually "rejected" by the manufacturer, and should not have been for sale. The material was defective.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM

131 posts, read 511,566 times
OP- When you went to Knoxville in October, was that your first visit? How long did you stay?
We're planning to move around July/August. Still trying to talk DH into going for a visit before hand. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:13 PM

Smile Thank you!

Thanks, Barking Spider. We are looking for doors and some lumber to finish a garage and make some built-in storage shelves. The floors are all in good shape. We do have some siding to get, but thanks for the tip, won't get it there. Appreciate it!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM

Hi, whatalady! We had not been in the area for about 15 years, so things had changed. We stayed a week. We lined up houses to view with a realtor before we got there. Not having to worry about having a job this time, since we are retired, was a big plus. We feel this is our permanent move, the one where we can finally stay. We grew up in rural southwest Virginia, and have lived in Phoenix, AZ for the past 5 years, so have been both ends of the rural-big city spectrum. We "kind of" knew what to expect from visits years ago, but wanted to see what had changed. The visit cemented our intentions, made us sure this was what we wanted, trying to see the positives and negatives. It was worth the extra couple of thousand expense and time. I am happy to say visiting did not change our mind about moving, just made us sure it was what we wanted. If you can't visit you can still make it work - I have moved places without a visit before. it is just a less anxiety-ridden decision if you try to see what you are getting into as much as you can.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM

131 posts, read 511,566 times
Thanks!

Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,620 times
We are looking into moving to Maryville this summer too. Have never been to the area, going by friends likings as well as going to UTK for grad school. We are in a little different boat since we are not retired and have 3 kids with us. I friend requested you as I would love to have some input on area, and how you like it once you get there.
Thanks

Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,655,385 times
I have gotten some good deals on Doors from Knox Rail but you have to look at them and say "what makes this a reject?" it may just be dirty or a minor ding you can live with.

Sadly, their prices have gone way up on some old standbys like laminate counters :-(. I wonder if I will have to start traveling to sweetwater or even Asheville.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtonorth22 View Post
We are looking into moving to Maryville this summer too. Have never been to the area, going by friends likings as well as going to UTK for grad school. We are in a little different boat since we are not retired and have 3 kids with us. I friend requested you as I would love to have some input on area, and how you like it once you get there.
Thanks
Hi, southtonorth22,
Would love to give input on the area. We get there March 7. Staying in a motel a few days at first while getting utilities and a few things situated. Actually sleeping in the house March 11. We were impressed on our visit, so we are really looking forward to long term. I confirmed your friend request. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I have gotten some good deals on Doors from Knox Rail but you have to look at them and say "what makes this a reject?" it may just be dirty or a minor ding you can live with.

Sadly, their prices have gone way up on some old standbys like laminate counters :-(. I wonder if I will have to start traveling to sweetwater or even Asheville.
Thanks, creeksitter,
Since doors are one thing we are looking for, I am going to have fun looking at Knox Rail. Sorry to hear about the countertop prices. Oh, well, it will be an adventure looking around. We want the place to have character anyway, so a ding or something minor we can live with just fine. We have never been able to buy a house till now, so we are just so excited to get the fixer-upper and it is ours. It's perfectly livable, just needs some details. And a new furnace. Absolutely cannot wait to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville