Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:50 AM

252 posts, read 1,074,652 times

Advertisements

I want so bad to move to Maryville but a little afraid to move w/o a job and then I also have to worry about finding a rental community that will take me w/o a job. I have searched the papers and I am either not qualified, or they make little wages, and since I am alone I cannot survive on just anything. Anyone move to Maryville w/o a place to live or employment? What did you do? stay in a hotel? and then look? or did you know someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,397,986 times
I understand your fears, they are normal. If you didn't worry about moving without a job I would suggest maybe you have unrealistic views of TN.
But here is a suggestion. Apply for every job, including the low paying ones as just a stepping stone. Take what ever is offered, even if it is at a restaurant, convenience store, Wal-Mart, what ever brings some sort of paycheck. With that get a temp apartment that you can afford on those wages for say 6 months (this is if you don't have savings you plan to use to make the adjustment) then look for a more career orientated job and then a community you really want to live in once you are here.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 AM

252 posts, read 1,074,652 times
thank you mbmouse, thats kind of along my lines of thinking, but since I am not familiar with the area I am not sure where to look for a temp apartment on walmarts, or convenience store wages, anyone know? I am by myself, so I will only have my income. I can supplement a little with savings!

Also, hard to find even a walmart job long distance I am afraid.....lol.

Last edited by Topo; 09-22-2007 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: added

Old 09-22-2007, 10:08 AM
pdq

170 posts, read 529,568 times
I would never move without first having a good job or at least 6 months worth of savings to float on. So many people make that mistake and end up stuck in a dead-end job with poor wages.

What line of work are you in?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:27 AM

16,180 posts, read 32,644,180 times
Don't mean to be a wet blanket but don't move to Maryville without a job lined up. Jobs here are hard to come by for locals but for out of towners it is more difficult. You are right to have reservations.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,690,346 times
Find someone who is looking for a roommate. You're not the only one in that situation. That's the easiest way to find someplace cheap and also someone who can help you get settled. After six months or a year when you've got a job you can find an apartment. In the meantime, put any furniture you have in storage.
Look in the local paper online and Metro Pulse Online for people looking for roommates. You may need to start out in Knoxville and then move to Maryville after you get settled.
Look at stores where you can apply online.
The Kroger Family of Companies Career Opportunities (broken link)
https://hiringcenter.walmartstores.c...nitialPage.jsp
Goody's Family Clothing | Career Opportunities (http://www.goodysonline.com/careers/ - broken link)
Jobs are there is you look and network.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,824 times
Default Moving to Maryville

Are there a good number of heating&air companies in Maryville?I would assume so.Am I right? I could also wait tables as I have a lot of experience in that area if I needed to in the beginning of my move.i am universally EPA certified in the HVAC/R industry.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:00 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 529,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikayell View Post
Are there a good number of heating&air companies in Maryville?I would assume so.Am I right? I could also wait tables as I have a lot of experience in that area if I needed to in the beginning of my move.i am universally EPA certified in the HVAC/R industry.
Tikayell,

With your qualifications you can get a job in Anytown USA if your resume is good. Why would you leave Hendersonville?

Old 09-22-2007, 01:08 PM

16,180 posts, read 32,644,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikayell View Post
I have had dealings with three of the HVAC companies that service residential. By far Stanley Best Heating and Air is the absolute best. Mr. Best, Sr. just passed away recently in a glider accident but his son Stanley, the one I have dealt with, is still running the business. He is very honest and very good at what he does. If he doesn't have a job he will know who does.

Good Luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:57 PM

113 posts, read 334,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Don't mean to be a wet blanket but don't move to Maryville without a job lined up. Jobs here are hard to come by for locals but for out of towners it is more difficult. You are right to have reservations.

Along with all of these suggestions...is it possible for you to come ahead and shop for a job? Or go on-line to find and contact the HVAC Companies within so many miles of Maryville to see if they have a vacancy, they come to town to interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville