Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 AM

177 posts, read 367,870 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering applying for a faculty position here for next fall, and need info on the school and area. Need to know safe, decent areas to live within 20 -30 mins of the school, and any specific info about the college that hopefully someone teaching there can provide. As far as housing would be eventually looking for a townhouse or small house with at least 2 BR/2BA and about 1300 sf. Any info about the general area and specific questions above would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 AM

34 posts, read 106,769 times
30 minutes covers most of Knoxville. Just keep in mind that one of the bridges is going to be out for a long, long time (I think they said 3 years) starting early next year (but there are several others including one that's just a few blocks away). If you need a place that lets you have a large dog, you're somewhat limited, otherwise, there's a long ton of townhouses here. You didn't mention a budget, so that limits what anyone here can probably suggest.

If you don't want a long drive, stick to Alcoa/Maryville. If you need broadband and rely on your cellular phone, keep in mind that some places that are out in the less developed areas may not have broadband and phone connections may be spotty depending on where towers are situated. The first place I looked at when I moved here a few weeks ago was great on paper -- a not too ugly A-frame next to a big undeveloped area with hiking trails, gorgeous view, etc... but no broadband available, and while the owner's Verizon and someone else's Sprint phones worked fine, I could barely get a signal on my AT&T.

I was told that a lot of professors live in the Sequoyah Hills area (yes, it's spelled that way), but those might be of the full & tenured variety, not the associate/lecturer/assistants.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 AM

110 posts, read 214,877 times
The PSCC main campus is located in the Hardin Valley area. You could probably pretty easily find something right there in the Karns/Hardin Valley area. There really are tons of options in West Knox that would be a 15 min drive from you. You didn't say if you were looking to rent or buy so I'm assuming rent. I would look in the Hardin Valley, Karns, Cedar Bluff, Ebenezer, Bearden, Farragut areas. You shouldn't have too much trouble. Turkey Creek is a very popular stretch of retail, restaurants, etc. and is located about 10 mins from PSCC. West Town Mall is located off of West Hills Exit from interestate and is about 15 mins. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:23 AM

394 posts, read 799,999 times
Here is a good search engine for real estate: Find Homes By Area

Campus is at the intersection of Rt 162 (Pellissippi Pkwy) and Hardin Valley Road.

I'd suggest a visit of at least 3 days to explore different areas to see where you feel most comfortable.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 PM

177 posts, read 367,870 times
Thanks for the info. I would probably be renting first temporarily until my townhouse here sold, then would look for something comprable to what I have here (2 BR/2BA) and about 1300 sf no higher than low 150's. Have seen some places online that look like good possible places - which areas of town would be recommended for someone single and who has a pet (cocker spaniel) and wanting something safe, decent, and quiet?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,539,755 times
I just want to chime in that I highly disagree with living in Alcoa or Maryville while working at Pellissippi. Yikes. That's at least 25 minutes away. Meanwhile apartments, townhomes and condos are numerous right near the college. Suggesting Sequoyah Hills isn't helpful, either. It's about 25 minutes away, too. That would be, indeed, a place for the tenured professor at UT- the president's home is located there - which is just around the corner from that college.

If you run a Google Search for Hardin Valley Road, Knoxville, TN, but use the search options for real estate and you will find what you need. When you get there, check the "Rentals" option and uncheck the "For Sale" option. Click on "search" again. That will get you everything that is available and then some!

And yes, there are complexes that accept dogs, and a lot of them, surprisingly. Anything near Pellissippi is safe and a great area.

Last edited by hiknapster; 12-22-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 01:55 AM

62 posts, read 190,771 times
Agree with hiknapster...

If I were working at the PSTCC Hardin Valley location, I would look no further than Hardin Valley, Lovell Rd, Campbell Station, Westland Drive, Cedar Bluff area...although almost any area around Knoxville will be within 30 minutes mileage wise, once you factor in morning and afternoon traffic, I would stick with the above mentioned areas of West Knoxville. If you are planning on working at other PSTCC locations, then obviously the areas would change.

There are very few areas in Knoxville that are actually considered "unsafe." I've lived in West Knoxville, North Knoxville, and Downtown Knoxville and liked living in each area... We currently live in West Knoxville because it was in our ideal school system and worked out well for commuting to Maryville, Oak Ridge, and Lenoir City since both my husband and I are self-employed...but, other areas of Knoxville are equally as charming and safe.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I just want to chime in that I highly disagree with living in Alcoa or Maryville while working at Pellissippi. Yikes. That's at least 25 minutes away.
Mea culpa, mea culpa... I put it into google maps and it gave me Pellissippi State Technical Community College, which would be convenient for Alcoa/Maryville, since it's near Foothills mall.

I'm new here. Forgiveness for bad advice, I beg.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:59 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,856,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I just want to chime in that I highly disagree with living in Alcoa or Maryville while working at Pellissippi. Yikes. That's at least 25 minutes away. Meanwhile apartments, townhomes and condos are numerous right near the college. ..... <snip>
Well I disagree with you on this one, actually it could be only a few minutes away depending on the campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narual View Post
Mea culpa, mea culpa... I put it into google maps and it gave me Pellissippi State Technical Community College, which would be convenient for Alcoa/Maryville, since it's near Foothills mall.

I'm new here. Forgiveness for bad advice, I beg.
narual you were right and 'gave in' too soon.... IF profesora meant she would be starting in the brand new and quite large Blount county campus of Pellissippi CC. It's located in Friendsville not at all far from the Maryville city line. Sometimes people from up in Knoxville don't know everything going on.

Pellissippi State Community College Blount County Campus

Maybe profesora can come back and let us know which campus she will be working on so that better information can be provided.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
narual you were right and 'gave in' too soon.... IF profesora meant she would be starting in the brand new and quite large Blount county campus of Pellissippi CC. It's located in Friendsville not at all far from the Maryville city line. Sometimes people from up in Knoxville don't know everything going on.
Much though I'd like to feel vindicated, I was looking at the one on 1010 Middlesettlements Road, which now has me confused, because in google maps it lists the website as pstcc.edu, which is the correct website for the school, but the school website doesn't list anything at that location. Maybe it's just a building they own, or where their data center is or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville