Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 PM

10 posts, read 42,693 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Yet another soon-to-be-transplant here with a question about West Knoxville neighborhoods. I've been lurking the boards for a long time and have been amazed by everyone's kindness on here. I really can't wait to experience it in person after we move. With every trip to TN we took it was obvious how much nicer people are in the south than in Ohio (no offense to any Ohioans here!). Not to mention the better weather, the beautiful landscapes, the list could go on and on.

My boyfriend is transferring from his job in Ohio to a promotion in Oak Ridge at the beginning of December, and we've been working on finding a rental house. We don't want to buy until we've lived in the area and he's worked at his new position for at least year or so. Our requirements are pretty simple being that we're young and have no kids or pets: 3 bedrooms, 1.5 or 2 baths, and at least a one-car garage for storing his two motorcycles, less than $900 a month. We've lived in apartments/townhouses and would prefer not to share walls after some bad experiences with loud neighbors.

I haven't had much of a problem finding places near Farragut or downtown/UT that fit this description, but we're thinking we'd really like to be just off of Pellissippi Parkway somewhere between I-40 and Oak Ridge. We don't really want to be in Oak Ridge since he's working just across the river on 62, and because of the distance it would be from downtown. Farragut/Lenoir City is a little further than he'd like to be from work, and more densely populated than we'd prefer. Having grown up in rural areas, we're hoping for something that's a little farther from the city, but in the instance that I need to take a job downtown someday I don't want it to be too long of a commute...preferably a half and hour or less.

There are some condos available for rent right now in the Devanshire development (http://cardinalgroup.net/properties/rental2.php) at Lovell Road and Pellissippi Pkwy. Only $800 for a 1350 sq-ft stand-alone ranch home. We drove through the West Knox area quite a bit when he interviewed in Oak Ridge, and we especially liked Hardin Valley, and could see buying a house there someday, but we didn't explore this area of Lovell Road at the time.

I'm familiar with the Lovell Road area near I-40 and saw first-hand the beggars and traffic problems, but does anyone have any input about Lovell Road near 162? I just want to know that it's reasonably safe and convenient to get on and off the highway there and if there will be grocery stores and whatnot within a reasonable distance without having to go to Turkey Creek or Oak Ridge. Any tips or recommendations for this or other areas are greatly welcomed!

Thanks in advance for any help. I can't wait to make the move, especially as I look out the window at about 4 inches of snow that I have to brush off my car!

Kristin

Last edited by kmdejonge; 11-18-2008 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
Congrats Kmdejonge, we had a few snow flurries this morning, and would love to see a good snow soon! The Lovell rd area, is around 30 to 40 years old, and is a very safe area, as my son lives right off that on Snyder School rd, and I travel the area often, and you would like the area. I have a couple of friends that have some rentals and I will check with them, to see whats available. I know of one home, that will be available around the first of year, but rental is around 1100, but matches your description. Good luck, and I will let you know.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks, oldmanbob! I usually love the snow too, but I prefer to see it after Thanksgiving at least, since it often snows in Ohio through April! That sure makes for a long winter!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,138 times
kmdejonge, I checked the website you referred to and the detached condos you described are listed at
$1400/month not $800/month! The area is great and if we had decided to stay close to Oak Ridge, that is the area of Knoxville that we would have considered!

Good luck with your search, and you are very wise to lease first and take time to know exactly where you want to live before 'buying'!!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Bebette,

For some reason they have them listed at $1400, but I think it's a typo because on Craigslist and on their "For Lease" page they're listed at $800. I called them though just to confirm!

We know it's a good time to buy, but it's also a terrible time to sell, and without any guarantee that the housing market will bounce back in the next year or so we'd hate to have to try to sell if something doesn't work out. One reason he got the job was because we were renting and it would be an easy transition. They had other potential hires who couldn't accept their positions because they couldn't sell their houses to make the move. I hope things get better soon.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,327 times
The Hardin Valley area off of Pellissippi is a good area, and many new subs are going in around with safe neighborhoods, brand new school system, and commercial property on the rise. Lovell Road, an exit down, is a good location as well, and is very easy to access. With a new stop light at Yarnell Road, traffic flows much better. Shopping can be done without going to Turkey Creek or Oak Ridge, there is a Kroger about 10 minutes away off Parkside Drive, a Fresh Market off Cambell Station 5-7 minutes away, and a new Food City being built on Hardin Valley Road by the new high school. Many Oak Ridge employees will live in Knoxville and choose to commute, as the drive is relatively very easy, as we have helped many find homes lately that have been transfered into Oak Ridge jobs. Devanshire is a starter community that turns over quite frequently, many families that rent, or purchase and upgrade within a year or two. What you will find is that nearly all models are identical in style, layout, size, and the lots are quite small. If a back yard is of no concern, or at least for a year, then they do tend to be fairly nice and up to date on the inside. Home rentals in the area are quite easily findable, as many are taking advantage of the tough lending requirements and leasing homes to non-qualified buyers. Lovell Road is a good central location for I40 to downtown, Pellissippi to Oak Ridge, and Kingston Pike to all of West Knoxville.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 PM

Thanks, William. If you hear of any other rentals in the area that are in our price range please let me know. We can work with a realtor as our "renter's agent" and be reimbursed as part of the relocation package we're getting from his employer. We'll be coming down to Knoxville on Thanksgiving weekend to tour some properties and hopefully make a decision. I appreciate your help!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 PM

75 posts, read 226,609 times
We live off Lovell Road and Pellissippi. The road can get a little busy, but it's a great location to rent. Close to Turkey Creek, close to the Parkway, close to Oak Ridge, close to Cedar Bluff and Middlebrook Pike. You get the idea.

As to grocery stores, we head down Lovell away from Pellissippi to Middlebrook Pike, and a brand new Food City is less than a mile away. Keep going, and the Kroger's is about another two miles at Cedar Bluff.

We are also in the Hardin Valley school district.

I think it's hard to go wrong here.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:15 AM

132 posts, read 371,380 times
My inlaws just moved in there, they are nice condos that are fairly new. As far as I know the area is safe.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 AM

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I think that'll be a great location for us. Now does anyone have a recommendation on a bank? We're considering the Y-12 credit union at this point because he'll be a B&W employee, but I'm open to all suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville