Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 01:42 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times

Advertisements

Seems like Kentucky's level of Southern shows a contrast to the Midwest states to the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:01 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy99 View Post
I'm a kentucky native, but someone recently asked me if Kentucky is a southern state or if it's the midwest. The weather channel called it the midwest. And I have seen it referenced as such.

I say it's a southern state. But others say it's not. I say it is because of the culture and the attitude is much more southern than midwestern.

What do you guys think?
I disagree with you and here's why.

Yes, Kentucky has a culture somewhat like Southerners, but, Kentucky has it all over Southerner's when it comes to manners, kind hearted-souls, who are welcoming and accommodating. Kentucky people are not fake, they go out of their way, to extend a helping hand, where ever and when ever they can.

Kudos, Kentucky!!!

I call them the mid-west and so do most weather channels. The mid-westerners ROCK. People in Missouri and OK are the same.

Southerners have cliches....and are nice to your face, but sometimes can be very brutal when your back is turned. They don't accept outsiders as openly and are not as accommodating.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I disagree with you and here's why.

Yes, Kentucky has a culture somewhat like Southerners, but, Kentucky has it all over Southerner's when it comes to manners, kind hearted-souls, who are welcoming and accommodating. Kentucky people are not fake, they go out of their way, to extend a helping hand, where ever and when ever they can.

Kudos, Kentucky!!!

I call them the mid-west and so do most weather channels. The mid-westerners ROCK. People in Missouri and OK are the same.

Southerners have cliches....and are nice to your face, but sometimes can be very brutal when your back is turned. They don't accept outsiders as openly and are not as accommodating.
Then Kentucky is the only Midwestern state where Southern accents dominate? I don't think so. Just because Louisville has like 40% of the population not saying y'all and instead saying you all, and in NKY they speak with Midwestern accents (aka 3 counties) doesn't mean that the state of Kentucky is Midwestern. Kentucky has more more in common with West Virginia and Tennessee than it does with Ohio or Indiana.

The climate of Kentucky is Southern (humid subtropical). The accents are Southern. The history is mixed between Union support but you can't tell me that there wasn't Confederate sympathy to levels not seen in the Midwest. Missouri is probably the most comparable but the difference is that people in Missouri don't speak Southern for the most part and a Southern climate doesn't dominate the state.

Kentucky fits in more with the South than does Missouri and Missouri is Southern influenced. It fits more with the South than states like Ohio or Indiana. Please sir do not ignore your state history. Even the northernmost big city Louisville is still Southern in culture and it is one of the least Southern cities of the South. It has a much different feel than Indianapolis or Cincinnati and they are only 100 miles away. So imagine the rest of the state.

I understand Kentucky has a mixed history. It wasn't fully Confederate. But guess what? No other Midwest state has such a strong sense of Southern pride. Missouri is the closest competitor and something like 1% of the population there consider themselves Southern. That's more than Maryland! Kentucky on the other hand? Like 60-70% Southern identity and I know that most is concentrated outside of NKY and Louisville. You go to Western Kentucky and the people have drawls, love sweet tea, and fly Rebel flags. Eastern Kentucky is more Appalachian but that is its own animal. Not Midwestern either. Central Kentucky is Southern in culture as is Lexington. Only NKY and possibly Louisville have questionable status in the South but those are too small to determine the OVERALL state identity.

Kentucky also isn't a corn belt state like Ohio, Indiana, or Illinois. Kentucky was more of a tobacco state like the rest of the South. Kentucky's snowiest city gets 12 inches of snow annually. Ohio's least snowy city gets that and up to 20 inches. Even tiny Bloomington, IN averages 21 inches per year. St. Louis gets 17 inches annually. If Kentucky cities were women they wouldn't be very satisfied with these low inch numbers.

There isn't any Midwest state (not even Missouri) that is known for fried chicken. There isn't any Midwest city known for slow paced, genteel, Preppy culture (Lexington). There isn't any Midwest city that calls itself "one of the Northernmost Southern cities" (Louisville). There isn't a Midwest state where Southern accents or the term "y'all" dominates. Also nowhere in the Midwest is there a city known as "the gateway to the South".

Kentucky may not be fully Southern. But it's definitely not in the Midwest. Think about this:

Is Kentucky more like Ohio? Or Tennessee?

Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Then Kentucky is the only Midwestern state where Southern accents dominate? I don't think so. Just because Louisville has like 40% of the population not saying y'all and instead saying you all, and in NKY they speak with Midwestern accents (aka 3 counties) doesn't mean that the state of Kentucky is Midwestern. Kentucky has more more in common with West Virginia and Tennessee than it does with Ohio or Indiana.

The climate of Kentucky is Southern (humid subtropical). The accents are Southern. The history is mixed between Union support but you can't tell me that there wasn't Confederate sympathy to levels not seen in the Midwest. Missouri is probably the most comparable but the difference is that people in Missouri don't speak Southern for the most part and a Southern climate doesn't dominate the state.

Kentucky fits in more with the South than does Missouri and Missouri is Southern influenced. It fits more with the South than states like Ohio or Indiana. Please sir do not ignore your state history. Even the northernmost big city Louisville is still Southern in culture and it is one of the least Southern cities of the South. It has a much different feel than Indianapolis or Cincinnati and they are only 100 miles away. So imagine the rest of the state.

I understand Kentucky has a mixed history. It wasn't fully Confederate. But guess what? No other Midwest state has such a strong sense of Southern pride. Missouri is the closest competitor and something like 1% of the population there consider themselves Southern. That's more than Maryland! Kentucky on the other hand? Like 60-70% Southern identity and I know that most is concentrated outside of NKY and Louisville. You go to Western Kentucky and the people have drawls, love sweet tea, and fly Rebel flags. Eastern Kentucky is more Appalachian but that is its own animal. Not Midwestern either. Central Kentucky is Southern in culture as is Lexington. Only NKY and possibly Louisville have questionable status in the South but those are too small to determine the OVERALL state identity.

Kentucky also isn't a corn belt state like Ohio, Indiana, or Illinois. Kentucky was more of a tobacco state like the rest of the South. Kentucky's snowiest city gets 12 inches of snow annually. Ohio's least snowy city gets that and up to 20 inches. Even tiny Bloomington, IN averages 21 inches per year. St. Louis gets 17 inches annually. If Kentucky cities were women they wouldn't be very satisfied with these low inch numbers.

There isn't any Midwest state (not even Missouri) that is known for fried chicken. There isn't any Midwest city known for slow paced, genteel, Preppy culture (Lexington). There isn't any Midwest city that calls itself "one of the Northernmost Southern cities" (Louisville). There isn't a Midwest state where Southern accents or the term "y'all" dominates. Also nowhere in the Midwest is there a city known as "the gateway to the South".

Kentucky may not be fully Southern. But it's definitely not in the Midwest. Think about this:

Is Kentucky more like Ohio? Or Tennessee?
whatever? matter of opinion I suppose....while you've brought some food for thought to the table, I still compare it to the Mid-west...more so then the southern states....and yes, Missouri and Tenn, seem to be aligned....

Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
whatever? matter of opinion I suppose....while you've brought some food for thought to the table, I still compare it to the Mid-west...more so then the southern states....and yes, Missouri and Tenn, seem to be aligned....
Missouri and Tennessee aligned...oooooooookay?

Explain that one. They both have mountains?

Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Missouri and Tennessee aligned...oooooooookay?

Explain that one. They both have mountains?
I meant in culture.

Like I said, to each his own...I lived in several of those states, and my son now lives in one, and I plan on moving there...upon retiring....

Yes, I agree, Kentucky does have Southern tendencies...but as far as their culture, they are some of the best , kindest, truest, dedicated and loyal people I've ever met, same with people who live in Missouri, and Tenn. Oklahoma, is the same, to me and for me.

but that's just me....I'm not found of the Southern States....GA, etc...people are very different.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I meant in culture.

Like I said, to each his own...I lived in several of those states, and my son now lives in one, and I plan on moving there...upon retiring....

Yes, I agree, Kentucky does have Southern tendencies...but as far as their culture, they are some of the best , kindest, truest, dedicated and loyal people I've ever met, same with people who live in Missouri, and Tenn. Oklahoma, is the same, to me and for me.

but that's just me....I'm not found of the Southern States....GA, etc...people are very different.
I find plenty of fake nice in Louisville.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I find plenty of fake nice in Louisville.
that may very well be, b/c Louisville is fastly becoming a large city filled with relocations from other states...

I used to visit Louisville, yearly at Derby time, and back then when Secretariat won The Derby, and even before that, it was the same as other less populated areas of Kentucky. But that was a long time ago....
Western Kentucky is still as I have described....great people....

so, because we disagree, doesn't mean your right and I'm wrong, simply a matter of opinion.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:25 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Kentucky did have a "defacto" Confederate gov't. but..
Most kentuckians weren't in favor of secession or breaking up the union..
Eric, Good post..
Kentucky is a classic Border State. They were a slave-holding state that didn't have an internal consensus to secede.

In an either/or choice between South or Midwest. I say Kentucky is/was Southern. But if given a wider range of choices, I say it's a geographically/culturally mixed Border State.
peace

Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Eric, Good post..
Kentucky is a classic Border State. They were a slave-holding state that didn't have an internal consensus to secede.

In an either/or choice between South or Midwest. I say Kentucky is/was Southern. But if given a wider range of choices, I say it's a geographically/culturally mixed Border State.
peace
Kentucky is the most Southern of the border states. It's a toss up between Missouri and Delaware for being the least Southern influenced.

I have heard it said that Kentucky was the only border state to side with the losers after the Civil War. When you compare it to other border states like Missouri, Maryland, Delaware, and even West Virginia, it does have the strongest Southern identity.

Contrast this with Missouri in which Southern sympathy greatly decreased. Missouri didn't even want to really be in the SEC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky