Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That's why I said Missouri is the most Southern Midwest state.

However in its heaviest population centers, it leans Midwestern by far. St. Louis and KC are not Southern.
agree !

Springfield is different,however.

Springfield is in the bottom 1/3 of MO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,063,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
True. However at the time I still really wouldn't have called St. Louis a northern city. It had a lot of outside influences though but I still think in 1860 it leaned southern overall, not by much though.
But wasn't St. Louis also known for its largely Republican German abolitionists??

Old 01-09-2017, 11:28 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
wouldn't consider the bottom 1/3 of Missouri to be "Midwestern " at all.
I agree. Missouri is about 25 percent pure southern, and the other 25 percent, the northern half of Southern Missouri is a transition zone mix like southern Indiana and far southern IL and the other 50 percent is Midwestern.

From US 50 in Missouri down to about 20 miles north of highway 60 is transition zone. More south you go the more southern it gets and then when you get about 10-20 miles north of highway 60 then it transforms to totally southern. Most agree on the Missouri forum about this.

From the AR border to about 50 miles north into Missouri is southern. After that it's this transition zone of both elements.

However north of US 50 there is still southern influence in pockets such as around Lexington Missouri and Booneville for example you will find some influence but overall it's more Midwestern.

If you combine the areas in Missouri that are transition zone and areas that are truly southern, that gives you a state that's about 60 percent Midwestern and 40 percent southern total. Overall makes Missouri a more Midwestern state!

Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
But wasn't St. Louis also known for its largely Republican German abolitionists??
Yes, there was immigrants there and Republicans more overall but it still had notable southern influence even at that time.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
agree !

Springfield is different,however.

Springfield is in the bottom 1/3 of MO.
Springfield is literally right on the line of where the transition zone ends and the south begins. Overall Springfield leans more southern though immediately south of town it's southern zone for sure though. Springfield has outside influences because of the university.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,511,645 times
KY in the south? or the midwest? Really... who cares? OK... you guys can have 'em.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:37 AM

Good map I made a couple years ago. However, might want to extend the yellow line a bit further north in central MO. Little Dixie areas still have some fairly strong influences in pockets still even though it leans Midwestern today.

Overall gives you a 50 percent Midwestern state, 25 percent transition zone like southern Indiana and IL and 25 percent fully southern. Some will argue in south central Missouri the southern line jets north a bit too but I didn't draw my map like that such as just south of Rolla many say the southerness really picks up.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:26 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,063,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Good map I made a couple years ago. However, might want to extend the yellow line a bit further north in central MO. Little Dixie areas still have some fairly strong influences in pockets still even though it leans Midwestern today.

Overall gives you a 50 percent Midwestern state, 25 percent transition zone like southern Indiana and IL and 25 percent fully southern. Some will argue in south central Missouri the southern line jets north a bit too but I didn't draw my map like that such as just south of Rolla many say the southerness really picks up.

Why do you say that St. Louis is Baltimore like? Because of the mixed support in the Civil War and also the former Southern heritage?

Also it seems like your Southern line matches the climate line. Where it goes from continental to subtropical. Well at least it goes South of it a bit since the subtropical divider in Missouri is the Missouri River where it seems everything south of it is humid subtropical and north of it is continental. St. Louis being there means that it has influences of both like Cincinnati. Was this deliberate?

Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Why do you say that St. Louis is Baltimore like? Because of the mixed support in the Civil War and also the former Southern heritage?

Also it seems like your Southern line matches the climate line. Where it goes from continental to subtropical. Well at least it goes South of it a bit since the subtropical divider in Missouri is the Missouri River where it seems everything south of it is humid subtropical and north of it is continental. St. Louis being there means that it has influences of both like Cincinnati. Was this deliberate?
Many say St.Louis feels like an east coast city and there are some similarities to Baltimore and Cinci as well. I'm talking mainly St. Louis city though.

St. Louis is right on the dividing line literally.

Funny how some call Cincinnati sub tropical when all year round it is cooler than St. Louis in the winter and the summer. Northern KY has a colder climate than St. Louis. I hate the term tropical overall though because when I think of sub tropical I think of Florida, southern Georgia, South Texas. Places like Tennessee don't have palm trees and tropical plants. Where I live in Southwest Florida is sub tropical bordering on tropical almost.

Northern KY also seems to get more severe winter storms the last few years compared to stl. This latest ice storm was a flop for St. Louis. Temps were slightly too warm again.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
St Louis is warmer because of elevation which is lowest in the Mississippi River valley. At one time the continent was trying to pull apart, that's why the area around New Madrid can have bad earthquakes. St Louis sits at 465', the hills above Cincinnati are 900'. St Louis gets more tornadoes historically as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky