Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
And, once again I say KY, WV, TN, and AR have two words easily describing them. NOT Mid-Western! And NOT Southern.
I don't know what verifies your way of thinking on this, but Tennessee and Arkansas were Confederate states. Today Kentucky and large parts of West Virginia identify with "the South".

Heck Kentucky sent around 40,000-50,000 men to the Confederate cause, one of my ancestors among them and he rode with John Hunt Morgan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
And, once again I say KY, WV, TN, and AR have two words easily describing them. NOT Mid-Western! And NOT Southern.
Ehm... WAT

Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas are solidly southern. Southern West Virginia is also southern.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,266 times
OK.. Country or Hillibilly

Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
OK.. Country or Hillibilly

Again. Wat

Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster21 View Post
I was born and raised in Owensboro as well. I have to disagree with you though. If you look at the demographics page for Owensboro on this site, you will see that our demographics for religion and ancestry are more in line with those of the south ( Southern Baptist > other denominations, American > German). I also feel our speech and accent are more southern than anything. Do you honestly feel that the majority of Owensboro's populace speaks like someone from Chicago or St. Louis? I will say that the midwestern influence is definitely there due to being in Evansville's TV market and our location right on the border. For what its worth, I prefer Chili with noodles.
I was born and raised in Madisonville, and definitely consider all of western KY more south than midwest. Just the accent alone and the very strong influence of southern Baptists, and the whole food thing. I went to school in Iowa and since graduating from high school in 1984 have lived in northern states... On the way driving home to see my parents could always tell where I picked up the southern accent and the start of what I would call the south and in Illinois that would always be Effiingham down I-57. Also draw a line more east-west close to I-70 or just south into southern Indiana and then west toward St Louis....south of there much more trees and north of there more of the midwestern farms and open land. I took my then soon to be wife down from North Dakota to Kentucky to meet my parents, and she about fainted in Effingham Illinois when we stopped to eat, so different in talk and feel.

I had family who grew up in Louisville area and Louisville I would consider that city to be on the edge....a mix of both. Cincy always appeared much more midwestern...St Louis too....a mix but lean toward midwestern.

What is odd is that I never picked up much of a southern accent growing up whereas my parents accent is very strong and so is my older siblings. In school I was made fun of because I talked different and always said I was born in northern Illinois...

Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 8,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster21 View Post
I was born and raised in Owensboro as well. I have to disagree with you though. If you look at the demographics page for Owensboro on this site, you will see that our demographics for religion and ancestry are more in line with those of the south ( Southern Baptist > other denominations, American > German). I also feel our speech and accent are more southern than anything. Do you honestly feel that the majority of Owensboro's populace speaks like someone from Chicago or St. Louis? I will say that the midwestern influence is definitely there due to being in Evansville's TV market and our location right on the border. For what its worth, I prefer Chili with noodles.
We do have more of a Southern accent... but that doesn't make us southern. Having lived somewhere that is staunchly southern there is a huge difference. Its not something I can really quantify with words though.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,688 times
Default Where i got my facts

I looked it up on wikipedia. If youve ever been to southeastern ohio it is definitely appalachian and therefore fits in culturally with the upland south. Wikipedia states that neither the upland south nor the bluegrass regions adhere to state lines. And once again i agree with you cincinnati is midwestern with southern and german influences, but to the northern regions of the state, particularly cleveland, cincinnati seems southern. Its ciltural influences are like nowhere else in the state. That was my original point

Old 12-20-2011, 12:52 AM

46 posts, read 111,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxvic View Post
We do have more of a Southern accent... but that doesn't make us southern. Having lived somewhere that is staunchly southern there is a huge difference. Its not something I can really quantify with words though.
I fail to see the huge difference, and I spent a good deal of my childhood in Georgia where my father lived. Could it have been because the Murray area is more rural? I respect your opinion and I think there are a number of factors that shape a person's view on the area such as their experiences and how they were raised.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,952 times
I was born in Louisville, my Mother was born and raised in the Great Commonwealth of VA. and my Father a Canadian, all I have to say is that I was raised to respect my elders, respect people of any differences that I might have. I am a Southern Belle and have been given that non de plume (nick name) for many years. When all is said and done what difference does it make what KY is considered, just look around you and see the poverty, abuse of children and hunger. Get out there and do for others.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,581 times
just because their were southern unionist in kentucky does not change the fact that kentucky is just as southern as tennessee.As soon as you cross the river you can tell your in the south.Just cross the river an drive 15 miles an stop at the florence kentucky mall.I could not here even one "midwest accent" everyone pretty much looked an acted southern to the very core.Living in southwestern ohio it resembles the south in many ways but crossing the ohio river is like going through a time portal to a different realm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky