Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,806,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
I appreciate your input. I have relatives who live in southern OH and think they "qualify" as southerners..............very funny.

KY is a pretty small state, but the eastern part is very different from the western part. I have a friend who lives in Louisville, then lived south, but the parents wanted to move back to the "Midwest" meaning Louisville.

To me..............and maybe only me.......KY is not "southern." I would not call TN "southern." I would not call NC "southern." Even though Texas is southern....it's not "southern."

To me, there are about 6 states that are "southern:" Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and SOUTH Carolina. That's it.

As far as the Midwest goes...............When I think of Pittsburgh, I think of the Midwest, and yet it's not.

What is the Upper South vs the Lower North? That's what I don't get. Everyone wants to be "southern."
If we are talking geographically speaking its all subjective.Culturally there are more facts to support it historically as Southern.So tell us why you say NONE of those states you mentioned are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:03 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
Culturally, it seems clear to me that the thirteen states which composed the Confederacy would qualify as "Southern", without question. True, parts of Virginia no longer are overwhelmingly Southern in many ways today. But historically, absolutely.

Similar arguments can be made for most of the states you list as "not Southern". The states you DO consider "Southern" are all located in the Deep South - and culturally, Florida's present-day "Southern" aura is certainly questionable, due to changes in population patterns and origins. The same could be said for much of Atlanta and north Georgia.

Again, "Southernness" depends upon whether one refers to the map, geology (!), history, past culture, present-day culture, origins of the majority populations, and probably a whole lot else that doesn't occur to me at present.

But by all of these criteria - Kentucky is a Border state with a strong Southern heritage and predominately Southern cultural patterns.

Of course, we could just do a poll about beaten biscuits...

Old 12-02-2011, 04:08 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Places like Portsmouth and Piketon in Ohio are part of the upland South.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
oh yeah and even Chicago has a south side, some of you can repeat the mantra ''I am in the south" while you shovel your driveway this winter.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:26 PM

GraniteStater, please give us your defininition of "upland South". Thank you.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,549,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm sorry. Nowhere in Ohio is part of the south. Ever.

The southern tier of New York has as much in common with the south as southeast Ohio does. Neither areas are part of the south. Appalachian, sure. But not Dixie.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Well, when I lived in Cincinnati for three years back in the early '70s, I did my very homesick best to make my apartment part of the South, Kentucky in particular...sort of like foreign embassies are considered part of the country they represent.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:41 AM

28 posts, read 73,692 times
It is interesting if you think about it.

Ky is bordered by four mid-western states, one or two? border states, and one southern state. Yet it is influenced "more" by the southern state. (LOL)

Interesting to say the least.

I just did a mapquest out of curiosity. Interesting that it is the exact same distance from (Lexington to Chicago) as it is from (Lexington to Atlanta). Detroit MI is actually closer.

But enough with the separation.......

I was a telephone operator for almost ten years and I can attest that there are very smart intelligent people from every state as well as unbelievable Idiots from every state. It got to the point where I became "unshockable"

Old 12-04-2011, 01:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,689,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Again.....HUH?
What part do you not understand? Show me how Western Kentucky is part of the midwest and I'll show you 5 reasons why it's part of the south. For starters tell me what truly midwestern counties have more than a 20% black population? (A common characteristic of the south) Good luck on finding one. I can think of a few that are in midwestern states but those counties are definitely southern culturally, such as the Missouri Bootheel and Alexander/Pulaski counties in Illinois.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:43 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,549,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Well, when I lived in Cincinnati for three years back in the early '70s, I did my very homesick best to make my apartment part of the South, Kentucky in particular...sort of like foreign embassies are considered part of the country they represent.
lol but if Ohio was southern you would not have had to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky