Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,662 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone could give me fist hand information on the Scarritt Renaissance area of KC. We are being relocated, and this is one of the areas we're considering.
Here's some background info on us:
- We're a large family with 5 small children
- We homeschool
- We are devout Catholics
- We come from SE Michigan, which is a richly diverse area in terms of ethnicities, and sorely miss that aspect here in Memphis (where we're currently living)
- We are looking to move either to a rural area of KC, with 10+ acres of land, or to an urban setting. We do not wish to move to a suburban setting.

We've found information on the Scarritt Renaissance Neighborhood Association and its involvement in the community, but we are specifically looking for crime info and first hand information on the area. Is it a safe place to raise children? Is the community as a whole involved in its restoration, or only a small section of it? Does "diverse ethnically" (which is a phrase I keep reading over and over again in regards to this area) simply refer to blacks and whites, or does it include other ethnic groups as well? Which ones?
Any insights about the area would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 PM

25 posts, read 52,026 times
If you want ethnic diversity I'd head for the urban setting versus the rural setting.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,613 times
I don't know specifically about Scarritt Renaissance, but I do know that they have some beautiful homes in the area, and they have some very large homes for your family of five. This area of town also has great diversity from all over the world. There is a large Etheopian and Vietmanese community in the area.
However it was me all the positives of the area would not outweigh the negatives. There is pretty heavy crime in the area, alot of prostitution, and a pretty high population of transients. If you are used to city living you could probably live with it. I hear some people really love the area. As a matter of fact one of my daughter's classmates lives in the North East area of the city and they love it. However, her father's family is from the area.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM

I would suggest you look at Hyde Park, the further east in Hyde Park usually the better, but all over Hyde Park there are some wonderful neighborhoods. But make sure before buying in Hyde Park you talk to the neighbors, I would say the more friendly the neighbors the better the neighborhood.

You will find there is pretty good diversity in Hyde Park. The crime is significantly lower, but not non-existant. And you will be closer in this area to great shopping, resturants, and grocery stores will be a little closer. You will also find large houses with tons of craftsman period details

Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Try this.

Kansas City Crime Map - Showing Crime in Kansas City, MO - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,251 times
I was raised in this area and it was nice. Time has changed things and there is pleanty of crime. My brother in law was killed by an illegal from Mexico. He was helping at a traffic accident and was struck and killed by this person. The police were not allowed to do their job and he was set free. This kind of thing is going on all the time in this neighborhood. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:56 PM

15 posts, read 43,734 times
Hi... I just saw your post. Have you found anything? We liked Scarritt Renaissance, too, especially the view from the houses on Gladstone and one on Garfield near 12th, but ultimately we've decided on Hyde Park probably. There is a huge Catholic school in Hyde Park, and some charter schools that seem to have good reviews. I have 7 kids and homeschool, and if this goes through, we'll be heading there fairly soon. OH-- yeah, there was one more thing. I grew up in Memphis so I know what you mean about it.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 PM

Hyde Park is a great choice. There are some really nice Craftsman homes with great woodwork in Hyde Park. And some blocks, in my opinion, are so well maintained you forget you are in the middle of the city and it feels like you are in the burbs. Enjoy.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,510 times
Scarrit/The Northeast is about as diverse as it gets in KC. White (parts of the NE used to be very Italian, though not too much remain) black, hispanic (seems to be a quickly growing demographic in the area) and Asian and African immigrants.

It's block to block when it comes to the restorations and overall quality of the neighborhood. But I am optimistic that the area as a whole is on the comeback. In general, I find the further north, the better. North of St. John seems to be the best.

Most people would recommend Hyde Park/Midtown over Scarritt/Northeast and average home prices will reflect the general desirability of these two neighborhoods. I think the Northeast suffers from a bit of an image problem and is not as bad as many people assume. I think the crime may not be that much worse than Hyde Park. What may be the biggest difference between the two are the amenities. Midtown has plenty of great restaurants, shops, bars, etc - and is in a more central location than the Northeast.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,051 times
to check pretty much any and all info on a city, just google "profile kansas city" or "profile raymore" this step alone should provide you with an amazing amount of info ranging from popultion to ave. house price to a complete breakdown on the crimes committed in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City