Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,119 times

Advertisements

My mother found a nice looking house online. But of course it says nothing of the neighborhood & we are not from the area. Does anyone have any information on the 1800 block of Spruce Ave in KC MO 64127? The realtor saids he can not comment. I'm not snobby, so I don't mind poor people but I just don't want to get shot on my porch. I also have a 2 & 3 year old. If you know anything about the area please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
That area is sort of a suburban enclave in the middle of the city and it’s not a good part of the city, but that’s not to say that specific area wouldn’t be totally fine.

Here is what I would say to you. If you are urban minded, can handle vast diversity, and have no problem living in a very urban area (with limited retail) and the price is awesome for a home that would probably cost 2-3 times as much in a suburb, go for it.

I think a person could live in that area and have no problems and enjoy living in the city, but it would take a person that fits that area and that style of living.

Personally, the risk would be too high for me and I wouldn’t buy a home that looks like it should be in a suburb in the city.

If I’m going to live in the city, I’m going to live in a “city” home. A row house, a Victorian, a condo, a loft, an historic home with rock etc. Homes in the Midtown area come to mind. But the prices will be much higher.

"Suburban" homes in the “city” are typically cheap and don’t fit and more times than not are section 8 and won’t last a decade. So be careful.

This seems to be a solid area though. It’s been there for a long time and people do seem to take good care of the houses, the skyline views are great too. So, if this style of home does interest you and you can handle the aera, like I said go for it.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM

After typing that response, I got your PM, so let me post a more personal response for you.

Being from rural MO, I would assume that you don’t really have a lot of interest in jumping in something like this. I mean, if you were from Philly or something, I would say go for it. But you would hate it and hate KC forever if you chose this area to live in.

I know people that have moved to KC and ended up in places like this our out in Ruskin or something and leave the city hating it.

Sounds like you do want an “urban” setting though. That’s good. KC has plenty of very cool and many times affordable (although can be tough) urban areas where you can enjoy city living without living in the ghetto.

I don’t know what your budget is and if you don’t mind posting it, I may be able to help you out more.

As far as entry level housing goes, there are a few places downtown that you might be able to get into if you want a condo. The River Market and Downtown both have “some” lower priced and restricted income condos and apartments that are quite fine places to live. Don’t get restricted income confused with section 8. Many places downtown simply give you reduced rents and you get a lot of younger people there, not people that don’t have a job and are on welfare. Different deal.

The Plaza area and Midtown have plenty of apartment and condo options as well, from lowrsise to highrise. You may not have central air or granite counter tops, or even a dedicated parking space, but you have a very nice location in an urban area where young people can get started and enjoy city life.

If you are not into the condo/loft or higher density thing, I would look for a single family home in the 39th ST area of Western KCMO near KU Med or Westport, but single family homes can be very expensive in the area of KCMO between downtown and the plaza.

If you want a single family home and can’t afford one all the way in the city without going into the ghetto, than I would try Waldo. It’s a short drive to the Plaza and even Downtown, but it’s not suburban or urban. You can also quickly get to the suburban areas out south and in Kansas from Waldo. The near northland would be similar to Waldo. North Kansas City MO and the area just north of NKC and south of Gladstone would also work if you want an older suburban area close to the city that is safe and affordable.

Hope that helps

Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM

543 posts, read 2,309,745 times
Think twice, with little ones starting school before long. That is the Kansas City District. I would look towards Independence, Raytown, or any other school district. Years ago, the area you are looking into was awesome.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM

One more post after missing you had a 2-3 year old.

City living in KC with kids is rough. First off, few even try which is odd since in most large cities, you can raise kids in the city just fine.

Honestly, as long as you have a plan to get out of the city by middle school, you are fine in the city with kids. 99.9% of the people in this town will tell you to run off to Liberty or Lee's Summit though. Try to think for yourself. It's a lot of fun to live in the city and not out by the strip malls.

You CAN live in the city, enjoy city life and have kids in elementary school. I know a lot of people who do it and do just fine.

But like said, think about moving when you kids get a bit older, but you have plenty of time.

So, having said that, if you don't want to raise your kid in a condo or apartment (again, this goes against KC's culture).

I would highly recommend, Waldo, 39th Street or NKC (not the Northland, but the area just north of Downtown across the river).

Waldo is mostly in the Center District which is better than KCMO. 39th/Westport is in the KCMOSD and NKC is in the NKC district.

But again, you are fine in elementary in all areas. NKC would be the best choice long term.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-08-2008 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,119 times
Default Section 8

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is Section 8?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:13 PM

10 posts, read 58,578 times
Section 8 is privately owned rental units participating in the low-income rental assistance program. Landlords receive subsidies on behalf of qualified low-income tenants, allowing the tenants to pay a limited proportion of their incomes toward the rent.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
And they are not just for "people who don't have a job and are on welfare" That's very judgmental and harsh.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:59 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
And they are not just for "people who don't have a job and are on welfare" That's very judgmental and harsh.
I work and pay taxes and therefore have a right to be judgmental and harsh to people with non stop entitlement mentality. If they don't like it and want to play victim, tough.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
It's this "they" I have issue with. Bundling and stereotyping in such a negative way is a very unattractive quality.

And wouldn't you rather have families in government subsidized homes than bunched up together in drug, gang and crime-infested complexes and high rises?

Well I guess it doesn't matter what you want, because that's the direction housing authorities are currently moving toward as it has been shown over and over again that poverty, when properly dispersed, is much less criminally active than when bunched all together in sub standard housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City