Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM

448 posts, read 1,461,221 times

Advertisements

According to Forbes Kansas City is ranked 36th when compared to America's largest 40 metro areas. Dallas is also in the 36 spot. The most stressful city is Chicago. #2 is LA, then NYC is #3. The least stressed are #38 Nashville, #39 San Antonia, #40 Austin. I found this interesting given people seem so stressed out lately. I suppose less so in Kansas City if what Forbes says is correct.

The Forbes folks took into consideration; median home price drop, unemployment, cost of living, air quality, number of sunny days, and pop density.

Here is the link to the article. Full List: America's Most Stressful Cities - Forbes.com

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,696,106 times
I think it has to do more with the culture of KC. Many people there seemed to be overly laid back in my opinion. I think it also has to do with the extreme suburban mentality in the metro which could lead to lower stress levels. I don't believe the unemployment aspect for a minute considering the unemployment rate in KC mirrors the national average. Some metros are much worse and some are better with respect to that.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,672,998 times
KC is very mellow, in my experience. I lived in Chicago. I loved it, but, yeah, I'd call it more high stress. I'm a small town, rural America person by birth and upbringing, and what I love most about it is the peacefulness. I was glad to find in KC an urban locale that's more toward the peaceful end of the spectrum.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM

486 posts, read 1,036,840 times
I guess it depends on what makes you as an individual stressed. Constant nagging and peer-pressure by family and friends about not attending church can be a source of stress for some, and I'd say that's more likely to happen in KC than somewhere that isn't as Bible-Belty. On the other hand, in KC you'll have less problems with traffic jams, etc. Overall, I think it depends on the individual more than the city.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:19 AM

448 posts, read 1,461,221 times
Muman, I thought about that as well. Not quite sure if it applies to everyone, but overall I could see their logic. And since stress is such a major concern in this country today maybe this is an encourager (is that a word or did I just make it up ) for people to move to KC. I would love to see more great people make KC their home!

Old 09-11-2009, 03:13 PM

131 posts, read 321,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Overall, I think it depends on the individual more than the city.
I agree with you -- some individuals lead more stressful lives than others -- it all depends on job/life circumstances and not necessarily the place in which you live. A busy type-A professional in KC can experience much more stress than a retired person living on Cape Cod...

That is why I believe these studies are mostly BS with a kernel of truth.... especially Forbes studies...

Old 09-12-2009, 06:36 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,944,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I guess it depends on what makes you as an individual stressed. Constant nagging and peer-pressure by family and friends about not attending church can be a source of stress for some, and I'd say that's more likely to happen in KC than somewhere that isn't as Bible-Belty. On the other hand, in KC you'll have less problems with traffic jams, etc. Overall, I think it depends on the individual more than the city.
So true. I will add that one of the most stressful things for me is driving in KC. I would rather sit in heavy traffic than be forced onto an interstate at 40mph full of semi trucks going 70mph, which seems to happen almost every time I get on the highway in KC.

The church culture is also quite annoying. So far, it's nice not seeing a church every 500 feet here in the DC metro.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,672,998 times
I don't think I've ever had ANYBODY in KCMO take me to task over my church attendance or lack thereof, come to think of it.

Then again, I'm also not offended by the mere presence of places of worship.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,944,118 times
[quote=TabulaRasa;10730503]I don't think I've ever had ANYBODY in KCMO take me to task over my church attendance or lack thereof, come to think of it.

I didn't mean I was annoyed, that was quite an exaggeration. But there is a very noticeable lack of churches in many larger costal cities compared to what you see in KC and other Midwestern or Texas cities.

Church is a big deal in KC (at least in the burbs) though. Most people have a difficult time scheduling events on weekends etc around church.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:46 PM

663 posts, read 1,866,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonToKC View Post
I agree with you -- some individuals lead more stressful lives than others -- it all depends on job/life circumstances and not necessarily the place in which you live. A busy type-A professional in KC can experience much more stress than a retired person living on Cape Cod...

That is why I believe these studies are mostly BS with a kernel of truth.... especially Forbes studies...
I agree with you as well. I used to reside in the Mass. and now reside in Atlanta. It really depends on where you live in a particular area/region and what occupation/life situation you are in. The thing to realize is that these "BS studies" are probably partly subsidized by the local chambers of commerce or governments to lure in new residents (and their money).

There might be more bears in the woods of Mass. however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: