Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My perspective on church as a mainline, non-evangelical Protestant who doesn't go for either the born-again thing or the megachurch thing, is that my particular type of church is not especially common in KC, especially not within my demographic (which is not an incredibly churchgoing demographic, period). Pews aren't particularly easy to fill in old school, traditional-to-semi-traditional Protestant denoms, though they appear to be easier to fill in the more charismatic megachurch flavored congregations (which makes sense; they put on a good show, for those who are into that sort of thing, and very actively market themselves as entertaining places). What I've found are a handful of small, struggling, very decent congregations who are committed to doing good works in KC, but lack numbers (and, correspondingly, much financial support), and count on their small, but dedicated congregations to do a lot. My idea of church is very heavily rooted in social justice, being out doing good in the neighborhood, living humbly, the charity of giving time and talents to those in need...I tend to avoid the Joel Osteen-style prosperity theology crap.

My husband's perspective is a little different; the social justice and charity perspective is still there, but it's as much about a sense of community and multiculturalism. He's a cradle Catholic whose family hailed from old downtown KCK from a time when every ethnic group's church stayed separate (and within a block or two of all the rest) and held masses in their own language - Slovakian, Slovenian, English, Croatian etc. His family moved from KCK to Mission several generations back and became active members of one of the local parishes, where cultures merged, moreso than in the more old world situation of Strawberry Hill of days past. Due to a private school system, social/fraternal organizations like Knights of Columbus, and the fact that Catholic parishes served as cultural communities for various old-world ethnicities in the area, they maintained a much stronger attendance and dedicated sense of community.

The evangelical megachurch thing is a presence in the KC metro, for sure...but in my perspective, not overridingly so. That could be due to self-selection...I mainly associate with others who, like me, are more interested in a churchgoing experience that looks totally different. Our views are a little different than others our age...we seek things more akin to what our parents sought in a faith community. There are definitely churches in the KC area that cater to young-to-middle age adults that are consciously moving away from the older school, traditional sense of church, and they def. have their audience. I'm not among them, but the audience is for sure here.
I noticed this last April... I was in KC just before Easter and thought I'd find a big Presbyterian church similar to the one we attend in Denver to drop in for one of the Holy day services. But I didn't find any, so didn't bother. Seems like KC doesn't go so much for the theologically progressive but liturgically traditional mainline Protestant churches.

My parents have always been suckers for the "slick" evangelical preachers. The last church they were involved with was shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:01 AM

75 posts, read 143,827 times
OP it's a completely different world here than it is in socal. I lived in Orange County for 20 years & the singles scene is worlds apart from KC. It's true, a lot of women here are in their second or third marriage by their mid thirties. I know plenty that's for sure.

I agree totally about the stigma of being 30 & unmarried with no kids in KC, in socal it's not an issue.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:12 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJon View Post

I agree totally about the stigma of being 30 & unmarried with no kids in KC, in socal it's not an issue.
What is your opinion regarding why you think that is still the case?

Old 12-28-2015, 12:41 PM

75 posts, read 143,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What is your opinion regarding why you think that is still the case?
From what the OP is saying it sounds like it is. I mostly encountered this growing up in Gladstone. My old stomping grounds around the westport/plaza area, not a big deal.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:54 PM

10 posts, read 16,589 times
Funny, I am in Denver now, and I had a few women APPROACH ME, and talk to me and I have only been here for a few days. This has NEVER happened, not once in KC, whether downtown, or in OP. Kansas city, especially Johnson county has some of the rudest, entitled, bitchiest princesses I have ever seen.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson3244 View Post
Funny, I am in Denver now, and I had a few women APPROACH ME, and talk to me and I have only been here for a few days. This has NEVER happened, not once in KC, whether downtown, or in OP. Kansas city, especially Johnson county has some of the rudest, entitled, bitchiest princesses I have ever seen.
I'm gay and married w/kids, so I'm not looking for women here in Denver lol! But a lot of women I know are more friendly/outdoorsy types who can dress up and look hot, or dress down and climb a mountain It's a different culture in Denver for sure, but maybe having fewer "townies" makes a difference.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 PM

163 posts, read 297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
OMGoodness, I gotta disagree here again. A friend of mine was in town one time so we headed down to the Plaza for a drink. We were in a conversation with two attractive women within a couple of hours. We were both married so at the end of the night we said goodbye to the young ladies but my buddy and I both agreed that women in general seemed more open and easygoing then the snotty, uppity, makeup caked princesses in the Scottsdale and Tempe area.

Furthermore, I always felt that the best aspect of the Midwest in general and KC in particular is the people (it sure isn't the breath taking scenery). Anyone who thinks JoCo is full premadonnas has never lived in Phoenix, San Diego or L.A.

Along with peoples pleasant attitude, the things I miss about KC are the classic residential architecture, the ultra cheap cost of homes, the walkability of Waldo, Brookside, KU Med district and Westport, the very very high number of parks per square mile, the BBQ and the lack of traffic.

Couldn't agree more. After living in KC area for 7 years I now realize how I miss the openness and friendliness of all the people ( including the women ). And the women are beautiful and generally non-pretentious. I had opportunity to do extensive training in my profession in several locations around the country but, shallow as I agree it may be and since most other aspects were equal, I chose KC to do my training because of the friendliness and quality of the women in the area. If you cannot talk to women in KC you probably cannot talk to women anywhere.

Carpe

Old 12-30-2015, 11:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I noticed this last April... I was in KC just before Easter and thought I'd find a big Presbyterian church similar to the one we attend in Denver to drop in for one of the Holy day services. But I didn't find any, so didn't bother. Seems like KC doesn't go so much for the theologically progressive but liturgically traditional mainline Protestant churches.

My parents have always been suckers for the "slick" evangelical preachers. The last church they were involved with was shut down.
They do exist, though. I'm really happy with mine (Lutheran - ELCA), and my spouse's place of employment (Episcopalian) also fits the "theologically progressive/liturgical traditional" mold.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

I know what church you are talking about!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
They do exist, though. I'm really happy with mine (Lutheran - ELCA), and my spouse's place of employment (Episcopalian) also fits the "theologically progressive/liturgical traditional" mold.
Then if I think we're going to want to go to a church next time we're in KC, I'll ask you Lutheran is plenty close enough to Presbyterian. My grandparents were long time members of Westwood Lutheran, back when I think it was a Danish Lutheran church. I have plenty of memories of that church (although it's Catholic now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City