Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:21 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I have never thought of JO County as being rich. They think they are rich though. If I had a dollar for every time some smuck told me that JO county was the richest or fifth richest or whatever in the country I could have afforded to leave my brookside shack and cross the state line!

A quick Google search will she that JO County is nowhere near the richest County in America. It's the wealthiest County in Kansas lol.
First off, it's easy to be the wealthiest county in a rural state like Kansas. JoCo is competing with Wichita, KCK and Topeka? And especially when you are babied by the state capital and can use incentives to prop up your economy often by taking companies from neighboring KCMO. I have never seen such a "wealthy" county have to bend over so much to developers just to build basic retail centers and office parks. JoCo being a "wealthy" county is a joke. It's typical suburbia with very little low income areas to offset it, otherwise it's about as average as you can get.

Nearly every suburban county in this area is much more affluent than JoCo and these counties generally have much higher populations and large urban centers, plus a very wide range of incomes. Montgomery County Maryland is actually rated 13th in the nation and they have tens of thousands of section 8 residents. Does JoCo even offer section 8 or do they do the bare federal minimum and keep those people in KCMO and KCK?

Same thing with JoCo's schools. Easy to look good on paper when you have nothing to offset the good stats like other jurisdictions do. Like I have said before, I'm more impressed with what Independence or even Park Hill or Lee's Summit is able to do with their more economically diverse kids than I am with Leawood.

JoCo is only rich to JoCo people. To anybody that has been anywhere, JoCo is nothing more than average suburbia. The county as a whole is not super affluent (mostly in pockets like Mission Hills and Hallbrook), yet there is nothing real poor there either. The place is average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 01:22 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I would imagine dating would be difficult in JoCo if you're not religious (or the wrong religion). I get the feeling many people find their spouses in a church.
Wow. I don't know where you get that. I don't know ANYONE who found their spouse at church and currently I know one couple that even attends church.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
I don't know anyone who "thinks" they are rich. I know people who ARE rich, but don't flaunt it. I know people who are not rich and don't pretend to be. I have said repeatedly on this forum that I am nowhere near rich, yet I love Johnson County. I don't look down on ANYONE, but if you have an attitude against Johnson County and try to say bad things about it and downright LIE about it, I'm going to call you on it.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:41 PM

495 posts, read 778,709 times
This forum is so irritating to even visit anymore...nothing but bickering back and forth between kcmo boosters and joco boosters. Not one thread can have a civil discussion without someone bashing one side of the state line. Get a freaking grip people, nobody cares what side of the state line you live on and neither is better than the other. In fact, they are pretty much the same in most peoples mind.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
The KC metro area is the oddest city I think I've ever been in. The only times the hate subsides is at a Royals World Series Champions parade lol! Once it's over, everyone goes back to their corners.

I would imagine dating would be difficult in JoCo if you're not religious (or the wrong religion). I get the feeling many people find their spouses in a church.
You know what, though? I never get that sense in day-to-day interactions with people in person. Since moving to the metro in '07, I've observed that particular phenomenon to be pretty much an online community thing.

Couldn't speak to the church thing, as I don't attend church in JoCo, nor did I meet my spouse in church (though we are both church attenders and he's from JoCo.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I have never thought of JO County as being rich. They think they are rich though. If I had a dollar for every time some smuck told me that JO county was the richest or fifth richest or whatever in the country I could have afforded to leave my brookside shack and cross the state line!

A quick Google search will she that JO County is nowhere near the richest County in America. It's the wealthiest County in Kansas lol.
Lol, I live in Mission, my husband works in Brookside, and I can tell you which area of the two is the more conspicuously consumptive!

Old 12-21-2015, 04:46 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,167,311 times
Quote:
You would imagine wrong.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:07 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You would imagine wrong.
I would imagine that Denver is better than KC for single people. Far more transplants..

Old 12-21-2015, 05:42 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would imagine that Denver is better than KC for single people. Far more transplants..
If you live in the city. If you are clear out in western Lakewood or something, I think you would have a similar experience.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:01 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson3244 View Post
I moved here as a single guy from the west coast 4 years ago, and this city is hell if you are a single male The women in this town who are single are practically non existent, and the few who are single(even if they are far below average looking) have literally hundreds of guys fighting over them. The women in the area are very cold and unfriendly, especially the ones in Johnson County, and unless you are part of their social group, they will not even talk to you.
I moved there from the West as well as a single male several years ago and could not disagree more. I had no problem meeting women and felt that not only were they more attractive physically (I'm more attracted to women of European heritage and there is a lot of German and Czech heritage in the midwest in general) but also more friendly. I had a girlfriend after only a year and was married after 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson3244 View Post
Also seems to me, that people in this part of the country do not like anything that is even remotely different, whether it be an accent, a skin color, or personality quirk. When I was living on the west coast, I had no problem meeting women.
This is also something I must disagree with. When I first moved there I was bored because it seemed like the only thing to do there was eat, get drunk and watch sports none of which I find appealing. After being there for a couple of years I found that the arts, particularly things like independent film and improv comedy flourished there. As I met more people I found that the arts were actually quite a bit stronger in KC then in the city out west in which I grew up. I came to the conclusion that people were more likely to get into music and film because..ya know...the weather sucks so who wants to go outside and go hiking or mountain biking. I will admit that KC is a bit of an island in this regard because culture is basically non existent in the adjacent medium sized cities like Topeka and Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City