Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:22 PM

7 posts, read 7,604 times

Advertisements

Thought this was really cool. The article also has a video of the test runs.

"KC Streetcar #801 performed test runs under its own power for the first time. During the test run, KC Streetcar crews checked the clearance, power, overhead wires, visibility and handling of the vehicle in its new environment.."
Video: The KC Streetcar runs the tracks under its own power for the first time on Thursday - infoBlizzard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:53 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,932,987 times
KC now has the best looking modern streetcars in the country, I have seen all the systems. I like the color scheme better than the Cincinnati color which use the same vehicles , very modern and contemporary. I just hope they get it extended to the plaza very quickly.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 PM

290 posts, read 347,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC now has the best looking modern streetcars in the country, I have seen all the systems. I like the color scheme better than the Cincinnati color which use the same vehicles , very modern and contemporary. I just hope they get it extended to the plaza very quickly.
I wholeheartedly agree. Seeing it run through the city reminds of the PDX streetcar when I lived in Oregon. I hope KC experiences the same urban revitalization Portland has gone through spurred in many ways due to its transportation infrastructure.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. Seeing it run through the city reminds of the PDX streetcar when I lived in Oregon. I hope KC experiences the same urban revitalization Portland has gone through spurred in many ways due to its transportation infrastructure.
I think once people see and use the starter line, many parts of the city will be wanting it expanded into their areas. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I can see this growing into one of, if not the largest modern streetcar system in the country over the next 15 years because KC doesn't have an expensive LRT system to maintain. Rather than doing what many other cities have done and have basically a single light rail line with few stops in the city, KCMO could build a very comprehensive modern streetcar network that could stretch from Waldo to NKC. Midtown KC would take off if they get it extended to the plaza.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,561,198 times
for some reason I had a different impression of light rail... now I'm disappointed in it.

Mostly, rail to me "cuts through" or by passes the roads... this one is just a glorified bus that only has one route.
remember this KATA bus? http://ulocal.kmbc.com/mediadetail/1...ESC&offset=471
I wonder what this streetcar is going to do in winter

Old 11-13-2015, 08:06 AM

65 posts, read 121,079 times
This isn't a light rail line. It might morph into one if it ever goes south of the Plaza and uses the old right of way. But for the foreseeable future it will be a streetcar-only system. Light rail almost always uses a dedicated right of way (and therefore can move faster). Of course, local observers and the media mix up the terms all the time, further confusing the issue.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:15 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,173,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
for some reason I had a different impression of light rail... now I'm disappointed in it.

Mostly, rail to me "cuts through" or by passes the roads...

Streetcars work differently than light rail. More stops, usually more economic development all along the length of their lines, and KC has such little traffic and congestion that a streetcar can run nearly as fast as a dedicated ROW light rail system could. Many light rail lines also operated on city streets and in traffic in downtowns, anyway. And KC can always use deciated lanes for future extensions if traffic patterns necessitate that.

And I wouldn't worry about what it will do in winter...

Old 11-13-2015, 12:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,259,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think once people see and use the starter line, many parts of the city will be wanting it expanded into their areas. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I can see this growing into one of, if not the largest modern streetcar system in the country over the next 15 years because KC doesn't have an expensive LRT system to maintain. Rather than doing what many other cities have done and have basically a single light rail line with few stops in the city, KCMO could build a very comprehensive modern streetcar network that could stretch from Waldo to NKC. Midtown KC would take off if they get it extended to the plaza.
I think Denver should start putting in these streetcars once the LR is completed. It could work well in the urban core.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post

Mostly, rail to me "cuts through" or by passes the roads... this one is just a glorified bus that only has one route.
remember this KATA bus? http://ulocal.kmbc.com/mediadetail/1...ESC&offset=471
Like vinix1999 said, it's not a light rail system. Yet.... Nor does it need to be a LRT system. Light Rail almost always functions like a streetcar in urban areas unless they have heavy rail infrastructure ie tunnels etc. (Boston T, St Louis MetroLink etc). Streetcars fit much better in an urban environment. They are more usable for people that live in the city for short trips etc where full blown light rail tends to be more oriented to commuters. Because KC has almost no surface street congestion, there is no reason to build tunnels etc. Hopefully someday if the line goes beyond the plaza or north of the river, the trains can go into dedicated rights of ways and increase their speed and have fewer stops.

Oh and the streetcars will do just fine in the snow. They won't slide around like a bus. It snows in Toronto and they have a massive streetcar system.

Edit: Got sidetracked and it took me an hour to actually hit the "post" button. I see Sdavis already mentioned all the same things I did.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,561,198 times
but wouldnt it be just cheaper to use buses?

if they make frequent stops like buses, drive similar route like buses, capacity like buses... why not use one?
it cant be for the green impact because the power plant in kc isnt any more environmentally friendly. all it does is move pollution from city to somewhere out of sight

if it is speed for dedicated line, they could set up bus only lanes and integrate bike lanes next to them

only reason i thought it was light rail was because that was what i voted for... think it got shot down but thought this was it.

unless there is a glaring advantage of them over buses? heck, at least a bus can detour if the roads get messed up, what do street cars do if the tracks break or an accident happens over it? or a down power line? can they run if the city has a power outage from winter storm? or a tornado ripping lines out,causing downed lines. it is a short route at moment, so it wont be a big impediment, but if it gets spread to rest of city, then it might matter more

in my mind, there is a reason trolly systems faded out in the us... they arent practical when compared to other things

i guess it not sliding in winter is good. do the rails need to be plowed? or can the car just roll over ice encrusted rails? what about the power lines? does icicles bother them, or does the heat from lines just melt snow? i have never been on a streetcar

Last edited by MLSFan; 11-13-2015 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City