Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:38 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
That could be a possibility. Let's hope it happens before that. If they create another special taxing district for potential streetcar expansion, I could see it passing in Midtown and beyond. I continually run into a younger demographic in that part of town, especially as more and more redevelopment occurs on Armour and Broadway.
Why not do a jackson county tax to get the commuter rails going and the streetcar expanded? I would do whatever can move it along the fastest though, so maybe another special taxing district is the way to go. I don't understand why people would be against extending it, but I'm sure there will be plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:14 AM

495 posts, read 778,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why not do a jackson county tax to get the commuter rails going and the streetcar expanded? I would do whatever can move it along the fastest though, so maybe another special taxing district is the way to go. I don't understand why people would be against extending it, but I'm sure there will be plenty.
The last vote failed because over 70% along the Troost line voted against it. The taxing jurisdiction along the Main line to the Plaza voted in favor by over 60%. I think the City plans to put it on the August '16 ballot, just for the extension of the Main route down to the Plaza/UMKC corridor.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:28 AM

377 posts, read 569,981 times
That makes sense. Most people don't believe a thing can work until it's a fait accompli. Once the streetcars are running and ridership is heavy, a lot of skeptics will jump the fence.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:36 AM

290 posts, read 346,740 times
An informative video from the Kansas City Regional Transit Alliance regarding development around the streetcar line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiPC...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-25-2015, 10:56 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Wow, this thing will be free to ride? Pretty interesting.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:27 PM

Looks like people are not quite understanding that you can't park on the tracks and you need to give the streetcars room. I think eventually people will avoid driving main street in the CBD where it's only one lane each way. That should help keep the streetcars moving and make the corridor more pedestrian friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpuB...ature=youtu.be

Here are some photos I took of the DC Streetcar getting blocked by a fed ex truck. SO I know DC is having similar problems.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:40 PM

132 posts, read 171,605 times
What idiots.

Perhaps we should paint the street car tracks fluorescent yellow with no parking plastered everywhere.

As they become a regular sight I think problems will decrease.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:57 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I like the idea in general but as others mentioned....why not just use busses?

They'd be cheaper and more flexible I would think or am I missing something????

Old 02-25-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I like the idea in general but as others mentioned....why not just use busses?

They'd be cheaper and more flexible I would think or am I missing something????
Just google exactly what you just said and you will find many debates on it. There is a significant difference between buses and fixed rail when it comes to ridership, economic development etc, but most people that don't get how urban communities develop, gentrify and thrive won't be convinced of what pro rail people will say. Either you get it or you don't and I have this feeling you don't get it and that's fine.

Hopefully it will do well, but it's gong to take time. I hope KC people have some patience and allow the main street corridor develop. The city really needs to extend it to the plaza in order to really make it work though.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:54 PM

495 posts, read 778,602 times
That corner of 13th and Main, where HnR Block is located drives me crazy. Freaking idiots stop there all the time to drop off their spouses, and many times the driver is the one getting dropped off, so the passenger casually walks around and gets in the drivers seat. I work at 1KCP and I always miss the green light because these idiots. Don't mean to come off as a jerk, but get freaking real people. I can't stand clueless people. Rant over...lol. I feel better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City