Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Same reason when people visit DC, they go here:

Rather than a suburban location. I know, you don't get it. So you can tell people to drive out to BFE to some strip mall and get the "same thing". I will always tell people to go to the "ghetto" and they always report back that they loved it. If I told somebody to go to the aurther bryants location at the speedway or olathe or the overland park jack stack they would be pissed at me if they missed locations that actually come with some atmosphere just do to their locations alone.
I wouldn't tell someone WHICH location to go to. No, I don't think a hole in the wall in the ghetto is a better location than a nice new restaurant in the suburbs. And who says the person is already in downtown Kansas City? Maybe going downtown would be going to BFE from their location.

Arthur Bryant's at the Speedway is not in a strip mall. Jack Stack in Overland Park is not in a strip mall.

If "atmosphere" means driving to the ghetto and eating in a rundown old building, I'll pass. And I wouldn't be pissed if someone steered me away from the ghetto, either.

Part of the reason I prefer nicer, newer restaurants is that 100+ year old places tend to have pest problems. It just comes with the territory. So if there is a choice between a brand new restaurant and the original location that's a rundown old building, I will pick the brand new restaurant 100% of the time. http://fox4kc.com/2013/09/06/dead-mi...n-kansas-city/

Last edited by luzianne; 07-19-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 04:50 PM

50 posts, read 111,773 times
all the employees on the west village or speedway whatever are the same peeps that were working at the old school location anyway. get some age on the smoker and it will wind up tasting pretty much the same. all those employees know how to run a kick butt bbq joint, and they should all move to a kansas town and run their own place. and pay no state taxes on their profits. im calling on all kansas city bbq joint employees to save kansas from the infestation of texas style bbq. dickey's barbecue pit is on the march. they have franchise backing. its a national disgrace on par with withdrawing from korea. don't forget to vote republican.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:55 PM

50 posts, read 111,773 times
but seriously if a long time employee of arthur bryant's wants to own their own place its very possible to do in small town kansas. every kansas town has a small town bank that backs local business. go tell them you worked at AB'S for x amount of years and see if they'll front you.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 AM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
I've been to "copies" of restaurants before (not in KC) and they are never as good as the original location. I don't mind going to the bad parts of town for good food.

I'm willing to try places in either KS or MO, but since I live in Warrensburg, the MO places are closer.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:45 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
I walked into Arthur Bryants for the first time yesterday (the ghetto location). I stood in line for a few minutes and looked around and thought "meh" and left. Since I didn't eat the food, I can't say if it's any good one way or the other.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 AM

The Kansas City Chiefs eat Zarda BBQ (interesting, since it's a KANSAS BBQ place, not Missouri) I told you Zarda was good!

Zarda feeds the Chiefs A LOT of BBQ - Arrowhead Pride

And on a side note, I am kinda surprised, but then kind of not, that they took Obama to Arthur Bryant's in the ghetto. I know it's "historic" and all that, but really??? What I kept seeing people post in comments on news articles is that the place was closed down for rodents and roaches within the last year. I thought the same thing. Most people commented that he should have been taken to Jack Stack instead. I agree.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
well to be realistic, obama wasn't there just for the food... consider it as a PR stunt... then consider "historic" bryants to jack stack... same reason he stopped by in parkville/riverside (i forgot which one), bush also stopped in riverside's corner cafe before as well (I think it was him)

I keep hearing about zarda when I look up bbq places, I'll have to try it out one of these days :S. so far the only bbq that I really enjoy is jack stack, the rest of them are okay to me, nothing to remember for me but I'm not a bbq fan either so all the bbq taste the same to me, different flavor sauce but the meat is the same

Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
well to be realistic, obama wasn't there just for the food... consider it as a PR stunt... then consider "historic" bryants to jack stack... same reason he stopped by in parkville/riverside (i forgot which one), bush also stopped in riverside's corner cafe before as well (I think it was him)

I keep hearing about zarda when I look up bbq places, I'll have to try it out one of these days :S. so far the only bbq that I really enjoy is jack stack, the rest of them are okay to me, nothing to remember for me but I'm not a bbq fan either so all the bbq taste the same to me, different flavor sauce but the meat is the same
Zarda is good. I do like Jack Stack better, BUT Zarda has the best baked beans.

And yeah, I'm sure you are right about PR/photo op. The Obama entourage ordered Oklahoma Joe's to take on the plane with them when they left. Next time they really should try Jack Stack!

Old 08-03-2014, 11:35 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The Kansas City Chiefs eat Zarda BBQ (interesting, since it's a KANSAS BBQ place, not Missouri) I told you Zarda was good!

Zarda feeds the Chiefs A LOT of BBQ - Arrowhead Pride

And on a side note, I am kinda surprised, but then kind of not, that they took Obama to Arthur Bryant's in the ghetto. I know it's "historic" and all that, but really??? What I kept seeing people post in comments on news articles is that the place was closed down for rodents and roaches within the last year. I thought the same thing. Most people commented that he should have been taken to Jack Stack instead. I agree.
The Zarda that typically caters to Arrowhead is the one in Missouri, not Kansas. And this video was done at the Blue Springs location. Not that it matters because nobody ever said that MO side bbq is better than KS, I just personally prefer the BBQ places on the MO side, especially those with multiple locations (Jack Stack, Bryants, Gates etc).

Old 08-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The Zarda that typically caters to Arrowhead is the one in Missouri, not Kansas. And this video was done at the Blue Springs location. Not that it matters because nobody ever said that MO side bbq is better than KS, I just personally prefer the BBQ places on the MO side, especially those with multiple locations (Jack Stack, Bryants, Gates etc).
The Zarda family is from Shawnee. They had a Zarda Dairy store on 63rd street (which was then 10 highway, now Shawnee Mission Parkway) when I was a kid; that is where I had my first banana split. Later came BBQ. They have a location in Missouri, but originated in Johnson County.

http://www.shawneedispatch.com/news/..._family_built/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City