Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 11,815 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm 22 recently graduated from college and was offered a Software engineer job at Cerner. I moved to the US 8 years ago and have only lived in Austin, Texas. From the short trip around the city by a Cerner tour guide, my impression about Kansas city is that it's small like Austin, but older, quieter and seems there is not much outdoor activities to do, and nightlife is not that great compare to Austin.

However, I think I can live just fine with that. Here are a few other things that are more important, hope y'all can help me out.

1. Where should I look for apartment and housing? Considering safety issues, convenience and pricing?
I don't mind 20 mins driving to work if it's a good area and affordable

2. What is the ideal deal for a 1 or 2 Bed rooms place?

3. Tax. From my own research, there is income tax and 1% tax for living in downtown. So should I considering living somewhere else?

4. How is the Asian/Vietnamese community in Kansas city? Restaurants, super markets...(I will relocate with my dad and he prefers Asian foods lol)

Thanks so much!

Last edited by azn26; 07-06-2013 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,647,244 times
There are outdoor activities and nightlife. What are you looking for on both fronts, specifically?

You will have a 1% e-tax (earnings tax) if you live or work in Kansas City, not just downtown, so you're gonna get hit with it by virtue of working for Cerner, no matter what.

Where to live will depend a bit on which Cerner campus you will be working at. There are a lot of options, and pricing will vary by neighborhood.

I know nothing much about the Asian communities in KC, except that there is a fairly large Korean population in the further south suburban reaches on the Kansas side, and several Asian markets are located there. My SO's little sister is Taiwanese, and does most of her grocery shopping there. Asian restaurants are sprinkled pretty liberally throughout the metro.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 AM

886 posts, read 2,229,464 times
He won't get hit with the E-tax if he works for the one in North Kansas City (not to be confused with Kansas City, North).

There is tons of out door activities and nightlife in KC.... poor tour guide? KC is bigger and has a higher metro population than Austin, but I'd think most would consider Austin more hip.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM

I thought that campus still had a KC address. I could be wrong, I'm no pro on Cerner. If it has a NKC address, then, yeah, then s/he could avoid the e-tax by also living outside KC city limits.

Call me crazy (as one decidedly more tax-obsessed poster has, already, on this topic), but the 1% e-tax is such a nonissue to me, I'd never choose my residence based on paying it/not paying it. Just not a big deal. *cue the gnashing of libertarian teeth*

Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,774,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I thought that campus still had a KC address. I could be wrong, I'm no pro on Cerner. If it has a NKC address, then, yeah, then s/he could avoid the e-tax by also living outside KC city limits.

Call me crazy (as one decidedly more tax-obsessed poster has, already, on this topic), but the 1% e-tax is such a nonissue to me, I'd never choose my residence based on paying it/not paying it. Just not a big deal. *cue the gnashing of libertarian teeth*

If I'm the "tax obsessed poster" you're referring to, I didn't call you "crazy" To each his/her own as to what's important, or "worth it"

The 1% and state differentials is a factor to consider, not necessarily the determinant.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 07-07-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM

I just began searching for apartment/house and was very pleased that the prices are so much cheaper than Austin, especially for houses.

I dont know which campus I will be working at yet but I don't mind 15-20 mins driving to work at all. So it doesn't need to be real close to work. Overall, where is good to live? For pricing and security issues? And what is a good price for rent at those place? Thanks!

Old 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM

It really depends on your preferences, to be honest. What are you looking for in a place to live, besides safety? There are lots of different residential neighborhoods, many with their own, unique flavor and closer to and further from different amenities. Can't really tell you where is good to live without knowing what you're into...house or apartment in a residential area, or loft in a business/industrial area? Yard, no yard? Parking a priority? Have pets? Do you want modern/contemporary or vintage? Access to greenspace important? Does a large complex appeal to you, or small building with few tenants? How close to shopping matters? Do you need/require public trans? On a main street for ease of access, or tucked away for quiet? Near nightlife? What kind of nightlife? Suburban or urban? You get the idea.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It really depends on your preferences, to be honest. What are you looking for in a place to live, besides safety? There are lots of different residential neighborhoods, many with their own, unique flavor and closer to and further from different amenities. Can't really tell you where is good to live without knowing what you're into...house or apartment in a residential area, or loft in a business/industrial area? Yard, no yard? Parking a priority? Have pets? Do you want modern/contemporary or vintage? Access to greenspace important? Does a large complex appeal to you, or small building with few tenants? How close to shopping matters? Do you need/require public trans? On a main street for ease of access, or tucked away for quiet? Near nightlife? What kind of nightlife? Suburban or urban? You get the idea.
thank you for the suggested questions. My number one propriety now is safety as I do not know anything about the city. Besides that, I prefer quiet suburban area and probably will go with an apartment first. It would be great if it's close to shopping centers too. I dont really need public trans as I will bring my own car with me, so I will need a parking spot at the place I live. That's pretty much all what I concern

Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM

Okay, if you want a suburban location, it's going to be pretty imperative that you find out where you will be working. There are neighborhoods near any one given Cerner campus that wouldn't make much sense to live in if you were working out of another office. Living centrally located would be an option, which would include neighborhoods in Plaza, Westport, Midtown areas of town, but none of those are suburban or particularly quiet. Safety is relative, but isn't going to be of huge concern in really any suburban area you might choose,and you'll have your pick of a wide range of apartment complexes near shopping whatever suburb you opt for.

Cerner may be able to make recommendations, too, based on where the majority of their employees in a given office are living. If you will be working up north, many people find the Northland suburbs to be quite liveable (but I have virtually no experience with that part of town, so another person weighing in on Northland options may be more helpful). The south campus has immediate access to 435, the beltway that encircles the entire metro. The suburbs closest to that campus aren't the most desireable, but due to the road access, it's easy to get there from the Kansas-side suburbs of Overland Park and surrounding communities, and you would be going in a direction opposite of most of the worst traffic. Overland Park takes some heat as a fairly generic suburb without much by way of nightlife for single people, but it would hit your marks for safety and proximity to shopping. A bit bland for some, but many find it convenient. Again, though, I have limited knowledge of Cerner apart from working near one of their offices.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:41 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,774,361 times
"4. How is the Asian/Vietnamese community in Kansas city? Restaurants, super markets...(I will relocate with my dad and he prefers Asian foods lol)"

My recollection is there is a small VN community on the north end of Downtown, a bit to the east. Google VN restaurants and follow the dots . . that should give you the general location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City