Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 22,798 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing with Cerner and being offered a job is far from a sure thing, however, I just want to do some research so I am prepared in case they do offer me a position.

I have heard mixed reviews about working for Cerner and figured this would be a good place to ask for help. My wife and I would both be moving and we want to make sure Cerner is a company that would make it worth from St. Louis for.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,812,890 times
Cerner is apparently the largest developer of health systems, with installs all over world. You won't need to worry about layoffs as they are growing significantly, planning to hire something like 4K-5K in KC over next few years. They've been attracting a large % of their employment from outside KC over the last decade.

I've heard they expect some to work over 40 hours/week depending on position and other positions can be constant travel. Will it be an IT/developer position? Otherwise a good company to work for. Have two friends that have been there for over 10 years (one came from Austin) - they intend to stay for rest of careers. I'd consider Cerner myself as one of first if ever losing my job (in IT) for any reason. Make sure you understand which site you'd be working as they have several spread about - a couple up in N KC, one is S KC and another going up in Western KCK for the planned growth, near the racetrack/soccer stadium.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,048,363 times
Ten years ago a memo circulated the internet, from the Cerner CEO to his managers, in which he blasted employees for not working more than 40 hours a week, and insisted a measurement of effort by how many cars were in the parking lot at 7:30 a.m., and on weekends. I believe the CEO had to apologize in a newspaper article. But, that was ten years ago.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 AM

I've heard there are still some depts that are expected to work over 40 hours/week. Like most large companies, some depts can be great while others suck. Of the two I know, one is not expected over 40 and the other travels constantly. OP, be sure to check into that... might make a condition for hire if concerned about it. But wouldn't mention or ask about it until made an offer.

Not clear if your position is IT related but if Cerner doesn't click for you or if not able to transfer to better dept, KC's IT unemployment is only about 2-3%. There are more IT positions in KC than people to fill them. There are nearly 3000 tech companies/IT shops in KC, more than STL.

At the rate Cerner is growing, they'll likely pass up Sprint as KC's largest employer within a few years. Sprint is turning around though, so hopefully they start mass hiring soon too.

Last edited by xenokc; 01-14-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Old 01-14-2012, 04:56 PM

6,834 posts, read 11,576,146 times
A few years ago I came across a web site where you could comment on and rate your employer. I have no idea what the name of it was, but I do recall there were plenty of negative comments about Cerner - the long hours, the poor supervisors, etc. Of course, this is probably like apartment ratings - only the unhappy people post. I do know one person who works there, and she has been there several years so it must have something good going for it.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:31 AM

15 posts, read 65,565 times
This is an old opinion, but when my mom worked there 10 years ago she said she was never allowed to leave for things like kids' school performances, or bad snow storms and was always expected to work over 40 hours. She worked in their marketing department. They paid well, but eventually she decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and quit.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 AM

35 posts, read 138,715 times
dddfffttt - I moved to KC specifically to take a job at Cerner years ago. Zero regrets. Shoot me a message if you have any questions.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 AM

Was at a dinner party last night in Hyde Park and someone from Cerner was there. Asked if the over 40 hour thing is still expected and he said it depends on department. He said travel positions are well over 40 and depts that are related to software development are expected to work 45-48/week. Is pretty consistent with what I hear from the other two I know at Cerner.

What type of position are you considering?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM

12 posts, read 38,328 times
Does your possible job with Cerner involve travel? I have a friend who works for them and says the travel is grueling. I'm laughing at the number of post about working 40 plus hour weeks, as my friend says she works no less than 75 or 80.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:03 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,009,636 times
I have two good friends who have worked for Cerner for over 10 years and they never plan on leaving. They both started in entry level positions and worked their way up to making a really good living. I dont know how much they make but they both live in 500k houses and do whatever they want so it is probably pretty decent.

The guys that run the company are really forward thinking. I have heard some weird stories about some people not being treated well but I dont know how true they are and if they are just coming from disgruntled employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City