Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times

Advertisements

^headshot trophy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
White collar and blue collar are terms used to describe one's profession. It has nothing to do with what they do in their free time, what they drive, what they wear, or culture in general. It is a classification on the type of work that a person does.

A person could work at the Ford plant and be into cooking, making fine wine, and the ballet.

A CEO of a company in JoCo making several hundred thousand could be into hunting and fishing.
Welcome to the entire point kcmo (and I) was making. A lot of people here have white collar jobs yet don't necessarily buy into the typical, coastal white collar mentality.

A CEO of a company in JoCo making several hundred thousand who is into hunting and fishing is exactly the kind of thing you find around here. The argument being that that is more rare in other parts of the country.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
The original claim though was that KC is 'mostly into Bass Pro, etc', which is hardly the case. I did discover horse back riding in KC via a friend up around Smithville lake and enjoy it. The horse people I got to know up North are well educated, well read, speak distinctly and tend to be foodies. Many are from places like Jersey or SoCal. So I'm not sure what the point is here. KC is surrounded by 'country' so there is access to it. What a surprise. But to say over half of KC metro are into the 'country culture' is pretty ridiculous. Very few in suburban/urban area of KC are. But overall, the outskirts of KC is much more appealing to me than say the St. Charles service industry culture - you stay classy St. Charles.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I was using the term blue collar loosely, but I thought that was obvious. Anyway, I’m off to catch a train to watch the caps beat the blues. sorry aragx6

Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
I think it's more a question of urban vs rural culture. STL is more urban than KC. DC is yet vastly more urban than STL. Midwestern cities being a bit younger and having drawn so much from the South and rural areas during the industrial era has kind of created a hybrid urban-rural culture.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I was using the term blue collar loosely, but I thought that was obvious. Anyway, I’m off to catch a train to watch the caps beat the blues. sorry aragx6
How'd that work out for ya, buddy! GO BLUES! First place, here we come

Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
How'd that work out for ya, buddy! GO BLUES! First place, here we come
Blues are doing great since their coach change, maybe caps will follow suit.

BTW, I'm a blues fan. Used to be my team (them and the Avs), but have adopted the caps for obvious reasons.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 AM

A coaching change has a way of kicking people into high gear, and I'm happy to see it's working out at the moment!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 PM

35 posts, read 78,778 times
Default And I thought I was the only one............

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the info and for the positive comments! You are correct in that no matter where one lives there will be complaints about dating. I just didn't want to move where the odds were severely stacked against me.

Here's a sample of what I've been reading and filling my head with:

================================================== =======
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I found the following post online: (just an example of what I've been finding):
[SIZE=2px]
"If you are a single female, run, don't walk away f - 5/12/2010
[/SIZE]

I feel sorry for Kansas City in a way. It has so much potential. It's spread out, easy to get around in, the traffic isn't too bad and there are beautiful things to see. There's also a lot of big-name concerts and more performing arts than you would imagine in this type of city. You do have to own a car or you are screwed because if you ride your bike, you will be run over (probably the most "bike-unfriendly" city out there) and the bus system sucks. Walking is ok if you are not afraid of being mugged or raped. Yes, the crime is bad, but you learn how to avoid it mostly. Then what's the real problem? It's the people...I've never lived in a lonelier place. Everyone here is from here or near here except me. They all have the same friends from high school or college I guess and are not looking for more. They are also extremely complacent. This is not a growth-oriented population! I work as a contract trainer all over the US. Kansas City people are some of the worst audiences. They do not want to learn or grow. Everywhere else that I've lived, I've had a group of interesting, intellectual friends and lots of dating options. Not here. I have friends all over the US, just not here. I have a few friends and I know a lot of people, but it's still so lonely because most of them do not want to develop friendships. Even worse than that is the dating. Since I travel a lot (that's the only way I could live here and survive), I know it's not me. The guys here are horrible. Yes, there are some young college hotties, but I'm 45 so that's not a long-term solution (although I have gone there a time or two). The guys - even the less-than-attractive ones are rude and act as if you are lucky to be with them. I have tried to talk to guys at the book store etc, but they freak out if you just say hi. It's so weird. I have been hit on a few times by hot guys, but each one has either just moved here or is visiting from out of town. I do have a boyfriend now otherwise I would be outta here tomorrow. Whenever he goes out with his friends, even to happy hour, he is swarmed with desperate 20-something year old girls! Even when I'm there! It's the craziest thing! I image one will get him eventually and then I will move far, far away!! What I wouldn't give for some intelligent, enlightening conversation and a group of friends to meet for wine or coffee! Is that too much to ask?"
This sounds like my situation here in Montrose, CO. It's either rich transplants (always couples) or the locals who hang with their high school friends. The people here, in general, couldn't care less what goes on past the City Limit sign. Example: when Tim Russert died (I think in '08), I mentioned it at a lunch place I went to every day where they knew me. Nobody had ever heard of him!! I have lived here since December of '04 and have NO friends here that I have anything in common with. Even the parish I was going to is a joke -- in-fighting all the time -- at a church!! I have a beautiful home with a million-dollar view of the mountains and mesas. I love hearing the Canadian geese that fly by here all the time. Except for this time of year (December), I love the climate and the abundant sunshine and dry air. Were it not for my two beautiful dogs, I'd be 100% miserable. I want to get out, but can't decide where to. I had considered Kansas City, even very recently, but the post I quoted warns me it would just be the Montrose of the Midwest minus the mountain scenery. No thanks. This was not the first time I heard this complaint about the local KC people. I am 65, but feel 45, and I'm not ready to sink into dead-end complacency with people who don't even follow current events.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToNext View Post
This sounds like my situation here in Montrose, CO. It's either rich transplants (always couples) or the locals who hang with their high school friends. The people here, in general, couldn't care less what goes on past the City Limit sign. Example: when Tim Russert died (I think in '08), I mentioned it at a lunch place I went to every day where they knew me. Nobody had ever heard of him!! I have lived here since December of '04 and have NO friends here that I have anything in common with. Even the parish I was going to is a joke -- in-fighting all the time -- at a church!! I have a beautiful home with a million-dollar view of the mountains and mesas. I love hearing the Canadian geese that fly by here all the time. Except for this time of year (December), I love the climate and the abundant sunshine and dry air. Were it not for my two beautiful dogs, I'd be 100% miserable. I want to get out, but can't decide where to. I had considered Kansas City, even very recently, but the post I quoted warns me it would just be the Montrose of the Midwest minus the mountain scenery. No thanks. This was not the first time I heard this complaint about the local KC people. I am 65, but feel 45, and I'm not ready to sink into dead-end complacency with people who don't even follow current events.
I definitely don't claim to know everyone in the metro area, but I have lived here for two years and worked in a medium-sized office and have been struck by the willful ignorance and general apathetic nature of just about everyone I have met here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City