Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 PM

433 posts, read 959,586 times

Advertisements

Hi, OP here. I've been away from CD for several days, and after reading all of the posts here, I'm still undecided.
From what I've read, the negativity seems to be a little overwhelming.

I'm on the verge of renting a ranch condo at a 50+ community in South OP, so any additional views about the area would be appreciated.

This Sunday is supposed to be the day I sign the lease!!!!

DECISIONS..... DECISIONS.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 PM

82 posts, read 174,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
KC is apathetic as a whole or mostly? Haven't heard that one. I've run across apathetic people everywhere but of all cities I've been (extensively in all majors in the US), KC would be top 25% for NOT being apathetic. Complacent maybe. I do think KC can be too complacent in some areas but that's because it's so freakin easy and hassle free to live here.

Apathy doesn't build a top arena, PAC or P&L or organically build one of the largest arts districts in the US. Apathy doesn't nail a gig with Google fiber out of over a thousand cities/towns that went after it.
Earlier this year, with an unpopular mayor running for reelection and a crowded field running against him, less than one out of five registered voters in Kansas City, MO bothered to vote in the primary. In the runoff election, turnout was only slightly better, about 22%.

Is that just complacency, or is it apathy? It's not as if the city doesn't have problems. Maybe the voters didn't believe the election results would change how the city is run. Still, I was disappointed.

What I've noticed more in the KC area than elsewhere (outside the midwest) is that when people talk to each other, they shy away from discussions that will expose differences of opinion. They prefer to find the points of agreement, and not stray from those. It doesn't mean that people don't have opinions. Rather, they consider it pointless, if not somewhat rude, to engage in argument over things that won't be changed by talking.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:34 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
I was speaking metro wide not KCMO but good point on the low voter turnout for the mayor when most were not happy with last one. They changed voting places from last election though. It took me a while to realize my voting place was somewhere else. I think they reduced number of voting places, which may have been disruptive. Could be an example of apathy though, at least for KCMO. My point was that the other signifant things couldn't be accomplished if KC were 'mostly' apathetic.

Also agree with your second observation, though it tends to be when in larger groups, not so much one on one with someone you know.

On the flipside, one thing I've noticed about KC metro is that they are willing to treat newly met people with respect by default until (if) they do something to lose the respect. In many other cities, you get no respect until you do something to earn it. It's probably why many people say KC is 'friendlier' than most other places.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I definitely don't claim to know everyone in the metro area, but I have lived here for two years and worked in a medium-sized office and have been struck by the willful ignorance and general apathetic nature of just about everyone I have met here.
The only time in my life I've ever been in a situation surrounded by a majority of people seeking true intellectual stimulation was during my years enrolled in a liberal arts college, and the only time in my life I've ever worked a job with a majority of people who follow current events/are widely conversant on a number of topical issues was when I was the editor of the newspaper. Most people just don't care. That's not KC, that's everywhere.

I think general failure to care about/be informed about the world around themselves outside of a very small bubble is something that can be found pretty much anywhere...def. not specific to KC, or any other one city.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToNext View Post
I need to be around people who care about the things happening in the rest of the country, not just KC. I haven't lived there to see for myself, but some of the comments on here about the locals are scaring me away. I'm no rocket scientist, but enjoy intelligent discussions of all subjects. I don't get that here, and I'm no longer sure I'd get it in KC. I will proceed with my eyes and mind open, but, for now, I'm staying put.

It will be fine. My experience is nothing like that of what people are posting. I have friends that are not only interested but heavily involved in sports, the arts community, music, politics, and many other things. We have dinner parties all the time and we are all on top of the happenings all over the world and discuss them at length. I was at a poker game awhile back and we talked about the upcoming presidential election for 3 hours straight. I go out all the time and have intellectual discussions about all kinds of things with people I just met.

KC as with anywhere in the world is going to have it's share of apathetic people. There is nothing wrong with being apathetic if that is how you want to live your life. Hell, practically my entire family doesnt really know much about what is going on anywhere unless they cover it on Channel 9 news and they are perfectly happy with that.

I was never really satisfied with that lifestyle so I went out and met people and now have tons of friends that are educated, curious, and intellectual that I can have fun with. My best friends include a pharmacist, an ATM technician, an architect-in-training, two high school teachers, a financial planner, and a business manager. I guess my point is that if you want to live outside of the apathetic, there are more than enough opporunities to do so here.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:53 PM

398 posts, read 993,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Hi, OP here. I've been away from CD for several days, and after reading all of the posts here, I'm still undecided.
From what I've read, the negativity seems to be a little overwhelming.

I'm on the verge of renting a ranch condo at a 50+ community in South OP, so any additional views about the area would be appreciated.

This Sunday is supposed to be the day I sign the lease!!!!

DECISIONS..... DECISIONS.....
Your post got taken over by other people having their own conversations. That happens sometimes. Conversations drift into other areas not related to the topic of the thread, because the few regulars who post here get into discussions among themselves.

I noticed in your first post, that you said that you were considering OP because you had a job offer. In this economy, I would not turn down a job offer if it was a better opportunity and you were not satisfied with your current job or current living situation.

Kansas City is like a larger version of Omaha. I think that you will find that dating opportunities in KC are like Omaha, only there would be more opportunities in KC since there are more people in KC. KC metro is over twice as large as Omaha metro. So for every one person that you might meet in Omaha, there will be two or more people that you would meet in KC. Demographics between KC and Omaha are similar enough that the proportion of singles to married people, and older people to younger people is probably about the same.

Overland Park though, is kind of a place for married couples to settle down. It's a suburb like west Omaha/Millard. Higher priced houses, which usually requires two incomes. The Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley school districts draw families with children to OP.

But that doesn't mean that you won't find a partner in OP or in the greater KC area. It's not going to be any worse in that regard than Omaha. I would try it.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 PM

35 posts, read 78,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It will be fine. My experience is nothing like that of what people are posting. I have friends that are not only interested but heavily involved in sports, the arts community, music, politics, and many other things. We have dinner parties all the time and we are all on top of the happenings all over the world and discuss them at length. I was at a poker game awhile back and we talked about the upcoming presidential election for 3 hours straight. I go out all the time and have intellectual discussions about all kinds of things with people I just met.

KC as with anywhere in the world is going to have it's share of apathetic people. There is nothing wrong with being apathetic if that is how you want to live your life. Hell, practically my entire family doesnt really know much about what is going on anywhere unless they cover it on Channel 9 news and they are perfectly happy with that.

I was never really satisfied with that lifestyle so I went out and met people and now have tons of friends that are educated, curious, and intellectual that I can have fun with. My best friends include a pharmacist, an ATM technician, an architect-in-training, two high school teachers, a financial planner, and a business manager. I guess my point is that if you want to live outside of the apathetic, there are more than enough opporunities to do so here.
Great post; very encouraging. I think there are pockets of low-level energy folks all around the country. I've lived in NJ, MI, PA, CO, TX -- have found it everywhere and on the road. The joke about my relatives in Jersey is that they think they'll fall off the earth if they cross the Delaware River (I left NJ 46 years ago and never looked back).

Old 12-10-2011, 08:46 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
Yeah, I surround myself and work with people who are adventurous, creative and make things happen. Anyone can choose to be around apathetic, unadventurous people in any city - granted, some can't choose to be if that's their workplace environment. Is astounding to me to run across people in Queens/Brooklyn and parts of Jersey who don't leave their 1 mile radius.

One thing I think is unusual about KC is the consistent protesting in Mill Creek Park (off the Plaza) about most any social issue. Social protesting far exceeds union protesting in KC. Is so common that Occupy is just another one. While not my thing, that's not an indication of apathy.

Strangest one I've seen at Mill Creek fountain was setup as a play by vegan/pagans protesting against eating meat. They were dressed as half people/animal, on high stilts and long capes, using the capes as the walls for the stage. Highly stylized (as if produced by Julie Taymor), highly creative, bizarre message. It drew a huge crowd. KC Star mentioned the event after the fact.

And then there's the art institute crowd who always finds something to protest about, especially in front of Scientology at 31st/Main with the Guy Fawkes masks.

Speaking of pagans, a few years ago I was biking along Southmoreland park (next to Nelson Musuem) on May 1 - I remember the date because it was May Day for neopagans. There was a pretty strange ritual going on next to a large structure they made out of branches fallen from an earlier storm. There was fruit and clothing hung over the branches. They formed a large circle (about 40-50 or so) and a rather large woman in layered 'natural' clothing with her breasts out (symbolizing fertility I suppose) was walking around the circle with a long staff with something on top that was smoking. Every few people or so she'd touch a person's head with the staff, including kids. Can run into some pretty curious things biking around Midtown.

Last edited by xenokc; 12-10-2011 at 09:13 AM..

Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Actually, for it's size, KC has had some of the smallest Occupy protests in the whole country. Now that doesn't necessarily show that people are apathetic -- I attributed that moreso to KC's conservatism than anything else.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:53 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Actually, for it's size, KC has had some of the smallest Occupy protests in the whole country. Now that doesn't necessarily show that people are apathetic -- I attributed that moreso to KC's conservatism than anything else.
It could also be that the "corporate culture" and working for big business is deeply ingrained in many residents of KC compared to other places...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City