Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I definitely don't claim to know everyone in the metro area, but I have lived here for two years and worked in a medium-sized office and have been struck by the willful ignorance and general apathetic nature of just about everyone I have met here.
Unless it's about college sports (mostly obsessed ku fans), then they can tell you details that I doubt most recruiters know haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 AM

35 posts, read 78,778 times
I'm sorry you're in that situation. If you can, leave. If that's not possible, then I'm sure you're smart enough to invent a life to enjoy on your own, in spite of the apathy there -- just like I've done here where I live. I'm trying to decide whether to take a HUGE loss on my depreciated house or just forget that and go traveling most of the time.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
KC is apathetic as a whole or mostly? Haven't heard that one. I've run across apathetic people everywhere but of all cities I've been (extensively in all majors in the US), KC would be top 25% for NOT being apathetic. Complacent maybe. I do think KC can be too complacent in some areas but that's because it's so freakin easy and hassle free to live here.

Apathy doesn't build a top arena, PAC or P&L or organically build one of the largest arts districts in the US. Apathy doesn't nail a gig with Google fiber out of over a thousand cities/towns that went after it.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
KC is apathetic as a whole or mostly? Haven't heard that one. I've run across apathetic people everywhere but of all cities I've been (extensively in all majors in the US), KC would be top 25% for NOT being apathetic. Complacent maybe. I do think KC can be too complacent in some areas but that's because it's so freakin easy and hassle free to live here.

Apathy doesn't build a top arena, PAC or P&L or organically build one of the largest arts districts in the US. Apathy doesn't nail a gig with Google fiber out of over a thousand cities/towns that went after it.
I've been on the verge of moving to KC several times in the last 4 years. I llike a lot of things it has to offer. For me, it's the many colleges in the area and the Sports Complex where I'd love to see live baseball and football of the major league level. KC is in a great geographic area -- easy interstate access to the whole country. I love that there are many churches of my faith there, and I prefer the political leanings of KC in general.

I don't like the tornado danger, however, nor the humidity and bugs (this is from the perspective of someone who lives in an arrid climate free of tornadic activity and most bugs (we do have some scorpions). And if I ever wanted to ski again, it would be a long drive to Denver in an unpredictable winter driving season.

I need to be around people who care about the things happening in the rest of the country, not just KC. I haven't lived there to see for myself, but some of the comments on here about the locals are scaring me away. I'm no rocket scientist, but enjoy intelligent discussions of all subjects. I don't get that here, and I'm no longer sure I'd get it in KC. I will proceed with my eyes and mind open, but, for now, I'm staying put.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:39 PM

"I haven't lived there to see for myself, but some of the comments on here about the locals are scaring me away. I'm no rocket scientist, but enjoy intelligent discussions of all subjects. "

Hah, I agree. If this site were my only perception of KC, it would scare me away too. There is a much much better site that has actual 'discussion', not rants and reactions to rants.

KC is a large enough metro that has many many subcultures. You can find what you want if you look.

BTW, have lived in MO (KC/STL) most of my life and have never seen a tornado and don't personally know anyone directly impacted by one, but they do happen once in a while. It's not equivalent like the consistent hurricane risk on the E Coast.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Yes, this site certainly does drum up emotional reactions. I appreciate your perception of that.

After coming from such a small town here, I'm sure you're right about my being able to find what I'm looking for, as the KC area is very spread out. I am really trying to bond with it and move there -- it holds many advantages.

On tornadoes: I have a 92 year old friend in Grand Junction who taught in Colby, KS -- he loved it there. He always reminds me he grew up in the NE/KS area and has never seen a tornado. I have, on the other hand, seen them in Denver -- and had many scares in TX when I was there for 7 years. I know, too, that none of us are safe in our own homes no matter where we are - a plane could crash through my roof, but I don't lose sleep worrying about it. I hear ya on the hurricane/east coast thing. I'm just glad most houses in the KC area have basements.

Thank you for your helpful input.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 PM

I'd think the most difficult thing to adapt to compared to CO would be the higher humidity in the summer. The tornado thing is typically not on the minds of people who live here. Humidity often is, especially from those who come from dry areas. There are breaks from it in the summer sometimes but not consistently dry like CO - and KC is greener because of it. At least our winters tend to lean dry and sunny. I'll take dry winter days over bone cold damp ones that the rest of the Midwest tend to have more often.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM

"I'd think the most difficult thing to adapt to compared to CO would be the higher humidity in the summer. The tornado thing is typically not on the minds of people who live here. Humidity often is, especially from those who come from dry areas. There are breaks from it in the summer sometimes but not consistently dry like CO - and KC is greener because of it. At least our winters tend to lean dry and sunny. I'll take dry winter days over bone cold damp ones that the rest of the Midwest tend to have more often."

I lived in northern Jersey as a kid and then 15 years in the Detroit area. Both were humid, but if you have A/C, it's not that much of an issue. I do worry about mold in the KC area, as I've heard references to that. I have to research it -- maybe it's only in very old houses? Or maybe just so much hype from naysayers. What about spiders? I've heard there are lots of them. It's my one phobia when it comes to nature. Stupid, but I can't help it.

I definitely do miss the "green" living out West, since I grew up among lush forests. I belong to a KC gardening group on-line, and I really envy the gorgeous yards and gardens they have. Here, I have alkaline soil and can't grow much, including trees. The green of KC would be a nice replacement for the mountain scenery if I do pull out of here.

I know what you mean about the winter in other parts of the Midwest -- it was depressing in Michigan from October to April most years.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post

Not apathetic on a city-wide scale of getting certain projects undertaken and completed, but moreso on the individual and group levels.
KC is definitely apathetic. Most people I know there, particularly my relatives, never like to explore anything outside their comfort zone. They also have a willful ignorance with regard to not wanting to learn about things that don't interest them.

" I do think KC can be too complacent in some areas but that's because it's so freakin easy and hassle free to live here."

And that would be the downside to the low cost of living. It usually increases complacency and apathy overall when things are just too easy with continuing the status quo.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Can be said about any city. If your relatives didn't explore much doesn't mean most people in KC don't. It does amaze me running into people in Olathe though have never/rarely been in KCMO. Then again there are people I know of in Brooklyn and Queens who don't explore outside their one mile radius.

The growth of KC amenities, initiatives and growth of people from elsewhere aren't supporting your case. But yeah, there are apathetic people in every city. I just wouldn't describe KC as dominantly so. Complacent, indifferent at times, yes.

Last edited by xenokc; 12-08-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City