Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,783 times

Advertisements

Its not just the evolution thing its also the Westboro church and Sam Brownback and all that. Kansas seems like its really conservative and I'm not sure we want to live in a state like that.

I mean I am working on the plaza. I thought it was downtown? Is it in Kansas City?

Thanks for all the input, sounds like we have a lot to digset. Thanks for the link on stuff to do in KC we are looking forward to our visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
The Plaza is in KCMO about 4-5 miles S of downtown, at around 47th St. It's basically at the S end of KCMO's urban core. Many suburbanites think of the entire strip as 'downtown' or 'going into The City'.

And yes, KS is more conservative than the MO side (outside Lawrence and KCK), though something like 45% of Johnson County voted for Obama. KCMO city core is pretty hard core Blue.

BTW, here's my city guide along the main MAX bus line... The Plaza is near S end of this map...

Last edited by xenokc; 06-02-2011 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 AM

495 posts, read 778,284 times
Actually kcmo, they built a very nice Price Chopper and Lowes in Roeland Park where the old Price Chopper stood. The Wal-Mart is still not the best, but it was recently remodeled as well. I use to own a tudor in RP and found the area to be very charming, especially between Roe and Nall. It was a quick drive downtown or to the Plaza, which I loved.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Actually kcmo, they built a very nice Price Chopper and Lowes in Roeland Park where the old Price Chopper stood. The Wal-Mart is still not the best, but it was recently remodeled as well. I use to own a tudor in RP and found the area to be very charming, especially between Roe and Nall. It was a quick drive downtown or to the Plaza, which I loved.
Good to hear. Like I said, I like RP. Some of the comments in this thread set me off...

Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Kathleen Sebelius, the previous governor of Kansas and a democrat, now works as the Secretary of Health and Human Services in the Obama administration.

Kansas, as a whole, is more conservative than Missouri is, as a whole, but living in a suburb in Kansas will be little different than living in a suburb in Missouri.

And the Westboro guys? Everyone hates them. And they are out of Topeka -- like an hour from KC.

It's a pretty common thing for suburbanites to call everything in the city limits downtown -- not just in KC but in every city -- but downtown is the central business district of a city. There are probably about 100 other neighborhoods in Kansas City and the Plaza is one of those other neighborhoods.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Both MO and KS are extremely conservative outside of central KCMO and St Louis City. The suburbs around KC and SL can be more moderate, but they are still conservative (both MO and KS).

MO has two large urban centers and a major college town and the rural and suburban conservatives there still run the show in Jeff City most of the time.

No way around it.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Extremely? You tend to get heavy handed with superlatives and overstate things, which often weakens the validity of your posts. Now Southern MO is pretty hard core as is parts of KS, but overall it's not like the South. Spend some time in Georgia, Alabama or Northern Florida... outside of Southern MO, you don't see 'extreme' in MO/KS - is mostly otherwise individuals. But KS/MO overall are _relatively_ more conservative than say, most coastal states, I'll give you that - not as extreme (overall) as the South.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Extremely? You tend to get heavy handed with superlatives and overstate things, which often weakens the validity of your posts. Now Southern MO is pretty hard core as is parts of KS, but overall it's not like the South. Spend some time in Georgia, Alabama or Northern Florida... outside of Southern MO, you don't see 'extreme' in MO/KS. But KS/MO overall are _relatively_ more conservative than say, most coastal states, I'll give you that - not as extreme (overall) as the South.
I was just saying it overpowers the urban areas. You over simplify things to make KC look better in stats, which weakens the validity of your posts

Last edited by kcmo; 06-02-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM

414 posts, read 884,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
And the Westboro guys? Everyone hates them. And they are out of Topeka -- like an hour from KC.
Also, remember that this place doesn't really represent Kansas. The WBC attracts crazies from all over the country with a high number coming from the religious zealots "escaping" California.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Not that voting record is definitive... MO voted 49.4% for McCain and 49.3% Obama... that's doesn't make MO extreme anything. It is balanced overall than most states... Southern MO is pretty hard core conservative so that pretty much makes the rest of the state not deeply Red. Again, I realize that voting record isn't only indicator but MO overall is essentially in the middle of the US barometer, not even close to extreme anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City