Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:46 PM

43 posts, read 124,623 times

Advertisements

Any opinions??

My husband and I currently own a house in Raytown - it is so small for my us and our 2 little ones. I am discouraged with the schools and I am nervous that all of the upcoming change will either really help or really hurt. We cannot get out of the house for the next couple years because of the market so I feel stuck.

I go back and forth with cutting our losses now and moving to an area we love or riding it out. I just don't know what the future holds here.

Any words of wisdom out there??

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,914,991 times
The market is down, and hopefully will settle. Have you calculated how much you'll lose? If you can survive to lose that much, it may be worth it to be happy.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:33 AM

11,114 posts, read 24,075,262 times
What "upcoming change" are you speaking of and what part of Raytown do you live in?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:38 PM

We are between Blue Ridge and 350 off of Gregory. They are revitalizing the downtown area on 63rd. And we are finally getting a grocery on 350 and Gregory in a building that has been vacant for a long time. They Hyvee and Walmart on Blue Ridge will be shut down. They are also going to put a Walmart in on 350 where Aquilla is.
Thanks.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:29 PM

543 posts, read 2,320,405 times
The elementary schools are not bad in Raytown. It is the secondary schools I am disgusted with. My kids went to school right by you at Our Lady of Lourdes. We are riding out all the so called change also. Our kids are all grown and we don't need all this house anymore. Would love to move to the lake.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 PM

11,114 posts, read 24,075,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couragerqd View Post
We are between Blue Ridge and 350 off of Gregory. They are revitalizing the downtown area on 63rd. And we are finally getting a grocery on 350 and Gregory in a building that has been vacant for a long time. They Hyvee and Walmart on Blue Ridge will be shut down. They are also going to put a Walmart in on 350 where Aquilla is.
Thanks.
So, I'm confused, is this good or bad for you? My take is bad?

Raytown needs some retail and the new retail center between EB and WB 350 should go a long way in filling that need. There will be a Walmart, but much more.

Are you talking about the old Schucks store? HyVee is moving in there right?

So that leave the big Walmart and Hyvee on Blue Ridge a massive potential eyesore.

Well, Raytown needs to clear that land as soon as Hyvee and Walmart vacate it. Get it cleared and ready for redevelopment. Raytown and the area around it is so underserved by retail that a new shopping center with new tenants would go in there if the land were ready to go. The land fronts two busy arterials (Blue Ridge and 350).

But they can't let those buildings sit there and rot for 5 years or it will begin to affect property values in the area.

Contact your city reps, get the community involved and tackle that problem before it becomes a much bigger problem.

It does not matter where you live, be it Raytown, Lee's Summit or KCMO. Residents have got to find ways to get the city they live in to "re-invest" in older areas.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM

543 posts, read 2,320,405 times
We heard Home Depot is moving to the WalMart/HyVee area. That HyVee has needed to be moved ever since Schnucks left the area. That store is filthy and stinks like rotten meat. I won't even shop there. I go to the one at 40 & Noland. Raytown has been full of empty eyesores for years. Revitalizing the old Raytown Plaza is a joke. Those stores are so small and the rent will be so high people will think twice before moving in there. Look at Woodson Village. Sheesh. We have a house on our street that has been for sale for over 2 years. They have reduced the price astronomically trying to sell it. This poor guy has 2 mortgages, as he remarried and they moved to another home. I don't know how they do it. Raytown was a great place 30 years ago. But now the mayor and all those cronies seem to think we are Johnson County or Lee's Summit. This city has the stupidest codes, which we seemed to have broken every one of them. No boats in the driveway, well that is where mine sits until the first of April and I can get it back to the lake to sit on the hydro hoist in my dock. And that is what we told them when we went to court. I can't let it sit in the driveway at the lake all winter with no neighbors around all winter. I have 3 boys and they work on their cars in the drive. No vehicles allowed on jack stands, you can only have a vehicle that is moveable in your drive. Well gee, they tore it apart one night and putting it together the next night. I have teens that love their cars, what more do they want?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So, I'm confused, is this good or bad for you? My take is bad?

Raytown needs some retail and the new retail center between EB and WB 350 should go a long way in filling that need. There will be a Walmart, but much more.

Are you talking about the old Schucks store? HyVee is moving in there right?

So that leave the big Walmart and Hyvee on Blue Ridge a massive potential eyesore.

Well, Raytown needs to clear that land as soon as Hyvee and Walmart vacate it. Get it cleared and ready for redevelopment. Raytown and the area around it is so underserved by retail that a new shopping center with new tenants would go in there if the land were ready to go. The land fronts two busy arterials (Blue Ridge and 350).

But they can't let those buildings sit there and rot for 5 years or it will begin to affect property values in the area.

Contact your city reps, get the community involved and tackle that problem before it becomes a much bigger problem.

It does not matter where you live, be it Raytown, Lee's Summit or KCMO. Residents have got to find ways to get the city they live in to "re-invest" in older areas.
I am not sure if it is good or bad that is what scares me. I think we are just right at the crossroads of really turning it around or letting it circle the drain until it is totally lost. I think it could be a great area. I totally agree regarding getting involved - I have no time as I go to school and stay at home with my kids however thankfully e-mailing until I get answers can't take that long.

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,731 times
Default Raytown, Can't sell it we can rent it.

I have heard that a Home Depot is scheduled to take over the spot where the Wal-Mart is now also. I'm thrilled! The last thing I want to see is a vacant building there, too close to my home. I think the changes in Raytown are mostly positive. The new developments will bring life and improve property values.

I'm a real estate broker and a property manager, my office is in Raytown.

The sales market is down, too many foreclosures on the market to let you get a fair price for your home. We have dozens of clients in the same boat.

As a real estate broker, and property manager I can offer you some assistance, we can list your home for sale, for lease and even rent-to-own. The idea is to get someone in the home and some cash coming in so you can get on with your life.

Call me if I can help or visit my website for more information. We service the entire KC metro area. Turn-Key Properties LLC - Turn-Key Properties LLC 816-313-8876.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,630 times
I agree with an earlier post....elementary schools ok in Raytown, but after that downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City