Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM

216 posts, read 624,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Well $144/year/unit is a pretty decent 'donation' for the sake of the sign. Kudos for them doing this but if I lived there, I'd look for a foundation to help keep it going.

I'd give them a few bucks every year.

TabulaRasa will probably contribute. She has that emotional attachment goin on with it.

We could take up a collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,642,167 times
And bonus, if they created a foundation, donations would be tax deductible, whereas the HOA dues are not.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,810,166 times
Good point. I know someone who lives in Western Auto building, will suggest it to them.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,810,166 times
For those who don't know what we're talking about, this is the Wester Auto sign...

Old 04-30-2011, 06:50 AM

886 posts, read 2,227,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
To be clear and fair, kcmo, those are nice quality pics....as is typical of your postings. But they are pics of poor quality housing conditions - and that is why they are depressing.
I've been in several of these places.... they are upscale, nicer then the majority of your suburban housing on the inside. Walking distance to entertainment, markets, etc...

I see nothing depressing about those places. They look exciting.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,693,433 times
Thumbs up Great Photos!

Thanks for the photos!!! Very nice renditions of some pretty fascinating architecture. In my travels, I have taken pictures of architecture from Washington DC to Seattle, WA. I partcularly like the older buildings; Seattle has 'surprise' gargoyles and lions' head renditions, while DC seems to favor balconies, loooong windows, and intricately rendered cornices. When homeschooling my son, we had a course on architecture, and I was in my element! I love how architects insert the little nuances that change concrete, wood, and brick to inspiration and comfort. I could live in one of those places and be quite happy - if my job and circumstances required it.

3 Years ago we bought an old farmhouse that no one wanted; the previous owners tried to 'modernize' it by painting the trim blue-grey and putting pinkish-brown metal siding on it. We took it down, and lo and behold - wooden shingles! Some of it had been broken and damaged, but DH is a woodwoorking genius... Our house is now bright white trimmed in deep red, and the shingles just make it interesting. People slow down to look! We love it when other folks clean, redo and reface old architecture, and make it into something fresh, clean, and pretty.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 PM

216 posts, read 624,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Thanks for the photos!!! Very nice renditions of some pretty fascinating architecture. In my travels, I have taken pictures of architecture from Washington DC to Seattle, WA. I partcularly like the older buildings; Seattle has 'surprise' gargoyles and lions' head renditions, while DC seems to favor balconies, loooong windows, and intricately rendered cornices. When homeschooling my son, we had a course on architecture, and I was in my element! I love how architects insert the little nuances that change concrete, wood, and brick to inspiration and comfort. I could live in one of those places and be quite happy - if my job and circumstances required it.

3 Years ago we bought an old farmhouse that no one wanted; the previous owners tried to 'modernize' it by painting the trim blue-grey and putting pinkish-brown metal siding on it. We took it down, and lo and behold - wooden shingles! Some of it had been broken and damaged, but DH is a woodwoorking genius... Our house is now bright white trimmed in deep red, and the shingles just make it interesting. People slow down to look! We love it when other folks clean, redo and reface old architecture, and make it into something fresh, clean, and pretty.
Sounds very cool! In regards to the pink and brown siding.... there was an old house journal of some sort years ago, and every month they featured a house that had had some disaster like that perpetrated on it.... Remuddling they called it! I have always loved and remembered that phrase, and when I see a house like that I think it has been remuddled for sure! Great that someone like you came along to save it!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:29 PM

89 posts, read 258,939 times
Thanks for updating the photos with the neighborhoods. This is very helpful!

It really shows what interesting character there is in so many neighborhoods. If you like city living - and I've lived in a couple cities - you can't help but be impressed and intrigued. I love the variety of architecture, the use of color, the blending of old and newer styles. I visited some of these neighborhoods during my short weekend in KC, and these pics help me identify other areas to focus on for my rental search via internet. (I'm hoping to come out again and hit the streets in a month or so).

Old 05-01-2011, 09:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,908,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_muse View Post
Thanks for updating the photos with the neighborhoods. This is very helpful!

It really shows what interesting character there is in so many neighborhoods. If you like city living - and I've lived in a couple cities - you can't help but be impressed and intrigued. I love the variety of architecture, the use of color, the blending of old and newer styles. I visited some of these neighborhoods during my short weekend in KC, and these pics help me identify other areas to focus on for my rental search via internet. (I'm hoping to come out again and hit the streets in a month or so).
Thanks, it's nice to hear a thanks once in a while. It took me a couple of hours to edit that post, so just a simple thanks goes a long way.

Good luck on your move to KC!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 PM

82 posts, read 174,657 times
If I lived in a condo, one of the things I'd miss is a plot of dirt to tend. I'd pay extra to have that. A sunny spot close at hand, about 8' by 16', would be sufficient. I'd want more than a concrete balcony with a few potted tomatoes.

Does any condo development in KC offer that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City