Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,380 times

Advertisements

I rode this bus many a time before I began driving. Grand Street and ? in KC was a diverging place for many (or all) of the KC buses. They were parked in long lines along both sides of the street. All you had to do was find the bus on the east side that said "Indep, Mo" on the front. I cannot recall what it cost or how long it took but the bus stopped all along the way and at its destination back then at Liberty and Maple, Main and Lexington, and Liberty and Lexington on the courthouse square. For some reason there was no stop at Maple and Main. At some point they combined those stops and moved them to Osage and Lexington in front of the old post office. Nowadays I guess the bus from KC stops at the station at Truman and Memorial Drive.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 09-12-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM

This is supposed to be a photo of the Central Radio School in Independence.

But, I cannot relate this corner to a corner in or around old Independence.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 AM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

I rode this bus many a time before I began driving. Grand Street and ? in KC was a diverging place for many (or all) of the KC buses. They were parked in long lines along both sides of the street. All you had to do was find the bus on the east side that said "Indep, Mo" on the front. I cannot recall what it cost or how long it took but the bus stopped all along the way and at its destination back then at Liberty and Maple, Main and Lexington, and Liberty and Lexington on the courthouse square. For some reason there was no stop at Maple and Main. At some point they combined those stops and moved them to Osage and Lexington in front of the old post office. Nowadays I guess the bus from KC stops at the station at Truman and Memorial Drive.

My very conservative Mom had no problem putting me and a buddy on a bus from Independence to Downtown on a "teachers workshop" type holiday. How times have changed, when it was safe for young teens to ride the bus, go to a movie, shop , play pinball at the amusement shop on Grand, visit the bookstore (with some dirty titles) and otherwise wreak havoc DT yet be able to come home safely without much worry.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
My very conservative Mom had no problem putting me and a buddy on a bus from Independence to Downtown on a "teachers workshop" type holiday. How times have changed, when it was safe for young teens to ride the bus, go to a movie, shop , play pinball at the amusement shop on Grand, visit the bookstore (with some dirty titles) and otherwise wreak havoc DT yet be able to come home safely without much worry.

I recall there being a novelty shop in that area that sold "naughty" things that I thought were illegal to sell and were sold no where else (that I knew of) and wondered how they got away with it. Likewise, in the book store.

I was also talking the other day to a fellow '59 graduate when at age 13 or 14 her boyfriend came over to her house, they walked a couple miles to the square, got on a KC bus and went downtown to see the American Royal parade and then reversed the trip.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Anyone want to name this place?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:51 PM

MRG, did you make it to Lake City on your recent trip to Independence?

It would appear that Jackson Street is now Heideberger. Van Buren St still exists. Nothing is left below the tracks. And very little above.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,325 times
Quote:
MRG, did you make it to Lake City on your recent trip to Independence?

It would appear that Jackson Street is now Heideberger. Van Buren St still exists. Nothing is left below the tracks. And very little above.

The town was built on either side of the Missouri Pacific tracks on the K.C. to Lexington route. Anything on the south side of the tracks is now within the boundaries of Lake City Arsenal.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Has a Harry S Truman connection.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Not very far from Harry's home but actually too far north.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,962 times
Quote:
Not very far from Harry's home but actually too far north.
It reminds me of the old courthouse in KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City