Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times

Advertisements

Keep it up and I'll have to book passage on the next train to anywhere!

It has been a few years since My Beloved and I took our last train trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
I did not have a car in college until my junior year.

At Warrensburg I would hop an automobile ride on Friday afternoon to Independence and then go to work that evening and work all day Saturday and then Sunday til 1:00 pm. After work, I would go up to MoPac on Grand and catch the Sunday afternoon train that went through Lees Summit, Pleasant Hill and then Warrensburg on its way to St Louis. There would always be around 20 or 30 students waiting. That was always a pleasant trip. From the Warrensburg depot my dorm was only about a block away.

The last time I was on a train was in 1989 going from Durango (elev 6,512) to Silverton (elev 9,318) on a narrow gauge line. The two towns are only 45 miles apart but the round trip took all day because of the mountainous territory and average 10 mph travel. There are four and five star resorts along that line in which the only way in and out is by hiking or by train--unless you could afford to have your helicopter land at the resort landing pad.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM

This view on Lexington looking east was no doubt taken from atop the First National Bank building. This photo would have to be in the forties.

The large building on Main is the Bundschu department store. This photo shows the immensity of that place, at least for that period in time. I don't recall exactly where everything was but the top floor had admin offices and a sales area that might have been sports equipment or camping stuff. The elevator was people operated. There was a basement sales area also, and I think that was where their "on sale" or bargain stuff was located.The dark building to the right of Bundschu's housed legal offices and the street level was Davis Paints for many years. To the immediate left of Bundschu's was the S.S. Kresge (KMart/Sears, chuckle) dime store and to its left the light colored multi story building held a furniture store at street level. That store burned, Kresge bought what was left and expanded. The furniture store moved over just to the west of Chrisman Sawyer Bank. It might have been Tuckers Furniture by that time.

This photo would really be the cat's meow if the Plaza Theater marquee could be made out.

Maybe I posted this once before, my memory bank may not be working this morning.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Those streets will be even more crowded this weekend than they were back then. Santa-Cali-Gon is back, and 250,000 sweaty people are expected to drop by.

I remember the first of the new series of SCG Days, just 41 short years ago. The Explorer Post I belonged to helped with the parking lot shuttles. The first two years they used open-air tractor drawn trams borrowed from Hermann, Missouri. We collected a small fee, but I don't recall the price. I do recall a load of drunks we picked up late Saturday evening. They were rather generous tippers, paying $10 for the tractor driver proving he could go in reverse. After the first year or two we switched to assisting with barricades, traffic control, and lost child seeking.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
And to the upper right, at the SE corner above Milgrams, is the Carl Building, which at the approx time of this photo,housed my mom's beauty salon.

Even tho it looked like that floor is no longer utilized, it was good to see the "Carl Building" inscription still there on my recent trip back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
This view on Lexington looking east was no doubt taken from atop the First National Bank building. This photo would have to be in the forties.

The large building on Main is the Bundschu department store. This photo shows the immensity of that place, at least for that period in time. I don't recall exactly where everything was but the top floor had admin offices and a sales area that might have been sports equipment or camping stuff. The elevator was people operated. There was a basement sales area also, and I think that was where their "on sale" or bargain stuff was located.The dark building to the right of Bundschu's housed legal offices and the street level was Davis Paints for many years. To the immediate left of Bundschu's was the S.S. Kresge (KMart/Sears, chuckle) dime store and to its left the light colored multi story building held a furniture store at street level. That store burned, Kresge bought what was left and expanded. The furniture store moved over just to the west of Chrisman Sawyer Bank. It might have been Tuckers Furniture by that time.

This photo would really be the cat's meow if the Plaza Theater marquee could be made out.

Maybe I posted this once before, my memory bank may not be working this morning.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 AM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
And to the upper right, at the SE corner above Milgrams, is the Carl Building, which at the approx time of this photo,housed my mom's beauty salon.

Even tho it looked like that floor is no longer utilized, it was good to see the "Carl Building" inscription still there on my recent trip back
Wasn't there a beauty shop in that same vicinity called Laverne's?

Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Those streets will be even more crowded this weekend than they were back then. Santa-Cali-Gon is back, and 250,000 sweaty people are expected to drop by.

I remember the first of the new series of SCG Days, just 41 short years ago. The Explorer Post I belonged to helped with the parking lot shuttles. The first two years they used open-air tractor drawn trams borrowed from Hermann, Missouri. We collected a small fee, but I don't recall the price. I do recall a load of drunks we picked up late Saturday evening. They were rather generous tippers, paying $10 for the tractor driver proving he could go in reverse. After the first year or two we switched to assisting with barricades, traffic control, and lost child seeking.
I attended the 1947 version although I did not know what it was. All I can remember is men having long beards and can recall a small snippet of the parade in which soldiers were marching. We were looking for our next door 16 year old neighbor among those soldiers: it was the WCHS ROTC.

That 1947 version was the second since 1940 and the last until 1973. The S.S. Kresge store in the Universal news reel film, below, would have been the one on Maple.

Santa-Cali-Gon Days Festival - YouTube

Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 AM

From The Examiner concerning this weekends festival:

Festival hours are noon to 11 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday.
• No pets on the festival grounds. McDonald points out that the busy atmosphere with lots of people around isn’t ideal for pets anyway.
• Carnival hours are 6 p.m. to midnight today, noon to midnight Friday, 10 a.m. to midnight Saturday and Sunday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday. There are no carnival coupons this year, but wristbands are $22 per day. Buy them at the carnival.
• Several churches, Scout troops and others charge for parking near the Square. The chamber says that’s typically $10 to $15. There’s also shuttle parking in two places. Park for free in the large lot behind the Community of Christ Auditorium (Walnut Avenue and River Boulevard) or at William Chrisman High School (Noland Road and U.S. 24). The shuttle ride costs $1. The shuttles run about every 15 minutes and are handicap-accessible. There’s no shuttle from Chrisman on Friday.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I attended the 1947 version although I did not know what it was. All I can remember is men having long beards and can recall a small snippet of the parade in which soldiers were marching. We were looking for our next door 16 year old neighbor among those soldiers: it was the WCHS ROTC.

That 1947 version was the second since 1940 and the last until 1973. The S.S. Kresge store in the Universal news reel film, below, would have been the one on Maple.

Santa-Cali-Gon Days Festival - YouTube
Great find! I recognized many of the buildings. Too bad they have forgotten the reason they celebrate SCG. In the 70s they at least had a pioneer encampment.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:33 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Great find! I recognized many of the buildings. Too bad they have forgotten the reason they celebrate SCG. In the 70s they at least had a pioneer encampment.

A great find indeed. I caught a glimpse of a billboard advertising 1941 vehicle so this is from 1940 or 1941

What were some of theother businesses/buildings? I cam always go to trusty Polks to fill-in the. Stores along the parade route What is the long crowded street shown (dont hv the "seconds" marked). Lexington or Maple? I can't make out the signs at first glance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City