Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 08:28 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
My mistake -- I was looking at a photo of Alton Elementary from the early 1960s and didn't realize that my comment wouldn't post near the photo. Sorry, new here.

Re: the urban renewal, I was in high school when the Square was "improved." In 1981 I did an internship in the Planning Dept. and the planner I worked with acknowledged that the renewal was a big mistake.
Welcome to the group, we hope you'll stick around and share memories of old Independence, and/or ask questions. Our group of nostalgic "experts" can probably answer or find the answers to almost any query concerning our fair city.

As you read through the old posts and find something to question or comment on just click the "Quote" button in the lower right portion of that post. It will then include the original post with your post, so we know what you are referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 09:02 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

The former Alton Elementary School and now the world headquarters of the Restoration Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a split off from the old RLDS.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:51 AM

Today your assignment is to identify the where, why, and when this photo was taken.

Bonus points for identifying the people!

Old 12-22-2015, 12:00 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Today your assignment is to identify the where, why, and when this photo was taken.

Is the location east or northeast of the square?

Old 12-22-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Is the location east or northeast of the square?
Definitely!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:11 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:

Groundbreaking the "new" police station

L to R:

WCHS
MAD
Pearjas
Sally36
Major Tom
Phog Allen

Old 12-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Groundbreaking the "new" police station

L to R:

WCHS
MAD
Pearjas
Sally36
Major Tom
Phog Allen
You have the why and almost the where. However, you are slightly off on identifying the persons; I am not the second from the left- I am the one in uniform!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:48 PM

409 posts, read 293,563 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;42355081][color=SeaGreen][b]Welcome to the group, we hope you'll stick around and share memories of old Independence, and/or ask questions. Our group of nostalgic "experts" can probably answer or find the answers to almost any query concerning our fair city.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm delighted to find this thread.

I was born at the San and spent the first seven years of my life at 33rd & Grand, near Crysler, where my parents built a new ranch house in the early '50s. I attended Alton Elementary for three years while my brothers went to St. Mary's, Alton, and Palmer.

In the mid-'60s we moved to a subdivision off of Noland Rd. (about a mile south of 40 Hwy) that was originally in Independence but annexed by KC in the early '60s. I lived closer to Truman but attended Raytown High. My husband and I have lived in Lee's Summit and KC but are moving back to Indep. as soon as construction is done on the modest farmhouse we are remodeling off of 39th St.

I'll dig around in my memorabilia and see if I can find any photos.

Am working my way through this thread from the beginning so that I don't ask about something that's already been discussed.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:50 PM

[The former Alton Elementary School and now the world headquarters of the Restoration Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a split off from the old RLDS.]

I knew that it was for awhile, but since I never see any signs of life I thought perhaps it had been abandoned.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You have the why and almost the where. However, you are slightly off on identifying the persons; I am not the second from the left- I am the one in uniform!
I'm guessing the mid-1970s, judging from the clothing. I worked in the Police building in 1980, so I know it was there by then.

Wow, police uniforms were pretty fancy back then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City