Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
MRG

http://www.ci.independence.mo.us/Use...nnexations.pdf

I think the answer is 1961 when that area came into Independence.
Thanks for that, interesting. Yes that certainly looks like the time frame. And as I re-read MAD's post, I realize the street numbering is based on the "old city limits" which at one time took it only where N. Park intersects 24, not that far west from the Truman Library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM

152 posts, read 768,040 times
Greetings folks, this is Sally36's son. She sent me to type this message on her behalf. Due to mitigating circumstances she is unable to visit the Library Computer Lab and spend time with you folks on City-Data. She dearly misses the conversation and hopes to be back Online soon.

Her message is as follows:

"I've sent my son to the library to let you all know that I've been
incapacitated for over a month with acute polymyalgia rheumatica.
Lotsa pain , lotsa sitting , sleeping , and taking pills .

I hate missing all the good stuff y'all are talking about. Trying to get better so will feel like spending time at the local computer !

All you new folks , a big welcome. I hope you are enjoying all the
years -ago trivia and PLEASE add your own ! If you are young, sit down
with your grandparents . I wish i had. They might love going down
memory lane.

See you before long, I pray."

~Sally36

Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Prayers up for a complete and speedy recovery to our dear friend, Sally.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Get well quick Sally. We miss you and your old time input.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 AM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Hope ya feel better real soon, Sally! Not the same on here without ya!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 AM

About 2.5 miles southwest of the square on the south side of 23rd Street and west of Sterling angled across from Hill Park was a drive in restaurant called the Candy Stripe. It went in sometime in the late 50s. It was big news when it opened because there just were not very many new eating places going in, in those days.

I don’t recall whether this was an independent operation or part of a chain.

The car hops wore pink and white striped uniforms and I think they walked rather than deliver on roller skates. The layout was similar to today’s Sonic Drive In. I only ate there once that I can recall. I don’t think the place lasted very long and it seems it went out of business rather quickly.

However, the concrete pads for the parking stall area are still there today. Everything else is gone. In fifty years, no business has gone in there again at that spot. The property owners must have paid a lot of property tax over the years with no return.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
About 2.5 miles southwest of the square on the south side of 23rd Street and west of Sterling angled across from Hill Park was a drive in restaurant called the Candy Stripe. It went in sometime in the late 50s. It was big news when it opened because there just were not very many new eating places going in, in those days.

I don’t recall whether this was an independent operation or part of a chain.

The car hops wore pink and white striped uniforms and I think they walked rather than deliver on roller skates. The layout was similar to today’s Sonic Drive In. I only ate there once that I can recall. I don’t think the place lasted very long and it seems it went out of business rather quickly.

However, the concrete pads for the parking stall area are still there today. Everything else is gone. In fifty years, no business has gone in there again at that spot. The property owners must have paid a lot of property tax over the years with no return.

I remember Candy Stripe, right over there by Rockwood CC. It is listed in 1960 as Candy Stripe Snak (sic) Shop, 10601 E. 23rd St.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I remember Candy Stripe, right over there by Rockwood CC. It is listed in 1960 as Candy Stripe Snak (sic) Shop, 10601 E. 23rd St.
I think that Candy Stripe must have been a locally derived name. I could not find anything related to a chain.

The owner must have some how connected his name to the Candy Striper volunteers working in hospitals at the time who wore striped uniforms. That would be a curious connection to say the least, though.

I dont think the hospital volunteers are called Candy Stripers any longer or at least the program is phased down from what it use to be.

Westport Road ran behind the Candy Stripe and right up that street was the Rockwood Country Club.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:21 PM

I did the Streetview tour down Westport Rd and Satellite view of the former RWCC, as it's been ages since I've been there. The building to the east which housed the check in and lockers etc is still around but it looks like it's part of the golf course maintenance facilities now (including golf cart parking). One can see the outline of the old swimming pool the different shade of cement from the fill-in.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Public schools in 1960: Seeing a Rock Creek elementary still in business adjacent to RW Golf Club made me curious about the schools my buddies went to back then. Some of which seem to still be around, at least the buildings are:

Alton
Benton
Bristol
Bryant
Carlisle
WCHS Div 1
WCHS Div 2
Colombian
DeKalb

Several Rock Creeks:
East RC
RC South
North RC
East RC

Fairmount
Hanthorn
Jr High School
JHS Annex

Luff
McCoy
Mt. Washington
Noland
Northeast
Oldham
Ott

Pitcher
Southwest
Van Horn HS
Spring Branch
Stark
Sugar Creek School
Wachter
Young
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City