Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 06:11 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Today's Examiner has a story about an old spring on North River. Do any of you recall it or its location?

What ever happened to the spring on North River? - Independence, MO - The Examiner
Interesting. My first response would have been that Pollys Pop on North River got their water from a spring. But the description in the Examiner sounds more grandeur.

When the Maple Street extension going east off of Truman Road at Grand Avenue was built they had to fill in a rugged area, but I doubt if they would have covered up something as grandiose as that and the water would have to go somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:24 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times
Quote:
Today's Examiner has a story about an old spring on North River. Do any of you recall it or its location?

What ever happened to the spring on North River? - Independence, MO - The Examiner

Just a wild guess but the forestry behind the 24 Hiway Shopping Center actually drops way down below the level of N. River. The then-gravel rear of the center had telephone pole logs that ran the north boundary of the property, then there was a steep incline down to the forest below. AT one time my buddies and I were going to plant a garden down there as I am almost sure we had a stream nearby.

I did a Streetview of the back last week and couldn't believe the vegetation has crept up to the back of the lot. The owner subsequently paved and fenced the lot (it was really in a trashy state and disrepair, it was sad to see) so you can't really tell that it used to drop off. Besides the weeds and other overgrowth, there were lots of gulleys that ran down to the bottom, where the forest began, it was that steep. It took awhile to fight thru the weeds and avoid the gulleys to get to the bottom. We lost many a baseball down that hill and lots of itchy skin while looking for them. I guess over the course of decades the vegetation grew and grew and covered up the access/view below, but I suspect she may be talking about that area. If you see the one white house north on River (west side), that sat on street-level land but the land drops off nearby, even though from Satellite view you can't tell it. That whole area from the Shopping Center down to City Block & Products (now a recycling center) sat on a level with River Rd while US 24 started a descent westward (I think the Site gas station was at the bottom). The north edge of the properties sat on a plateau.

I suspect that might be where's she talking about. The vegetation growth over the years has probably hidden much of the view from River Road, that's why they couldn't find it. Either that, or it's even further north. That's a pretty big plot of forestry there even though some of it has been developed with a couple of streets connecting River Rd to Sugar Creek.

If you look at where N. Willis dead ends, you can see better the drop-off, as there's a patch of land that isn't covered with trees.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 09-15-2012 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 AM

A major spring in Independence in 1911 was “White Springs.” This spring was used in the production of carbonated beverages. This was probably the spring Polly’s Pop used. Polly’s did not come along until the 1920s but a another company started producing carbonated beverages at the River Blvd location in 1905.

Another major spring was Cusenberry Springs in Kansas City. This is the springs that fed the lake at Fairmount Park.

Another major spring was Lithia Springs at Mount Washington, Missouri, which is now in Independence.

From A Report on the Mineral Waters of Missouri, 1892:
"Lithia Springs is situated six miles east of Kansas City on the property of the Lithia Springs Improvement Company. The water flows from the side of a deep ravine into a walled limestone basin about seven feet square and eight feet deep, the overflow pipe being so arranged to keep the water constantly at a depth of four feet. The flow is at about 250 gallons per hour, which, for waters of this class, is very abundant; the exact location of the spring is in the N.W. ¼, N.E. ¼, section 32 T. 50 N. 32W, nearly three hundred yards south of the Missouri River."

If someone has a section map of Jackson County, the location could be pinpointed as to whether it is close to River Blvd.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
City Block & Products (now a recycling center)
Didn't City Block make concrete blocks? It was owned by a Williamson, I think.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 AM

239 posts, read 257,218 times
Well, I don't want to ruin the book!! :P I only scanned a couple more. One I believe is the electric theater that's been talked about. Hopefully the other books you ordered will have some good ones too!!

Quote:
Wow, those are great Pearjas! We can now see where both SS Kresge's were, along with Crown Drug before moving to Alton Plaza post-1951. First photo I've seen also of Milgram's even though there's been plenty of discussion/data that it was at that corner. Although she had closed or sold her beauty salon by then, my Mom's shop was in the building above Milgram's. Great to see these photos, I ordered the book along with a couple of others yesterday and can't wait to see other pictures.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Good memory. J. Dale Williamson was the owner

Yes, it had big pallets of blocks and tall mounds of sand. Good place to horse around after business hours. Sometimes in our more mischievous moments we would throw snowballs at cars westbound on US 24, going down the hill. If the brake lights came on, we'd run for cover (lots of good places to hide). One time someone did stop his car and come up looking for us, we scattered and got separated, really scared and that was probably the last of the snowball capers.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Google Maps shows 4-6 "bodies" of water (use Map View to see them in BLUE) inside the triangle of N. River Rd, Kentucky, and Park. If you switch to Satellite View, the parts that you can see amongst the trees is moss covered and very likely not visible from River Rd. There has to be something feeding those ponds, and I suspect a stream/creek as the Mighty Missouri is not too much further north.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Good memory. J. Dale Williamson was the owner

Yes, it had big pallets of blocks and tall mounds of sand. Good place to horse around after business hours. Sometimes in our more mischievous moments we would throw snowballs at cars westbound on US 24, going down the hill. If the brake lights came on, we'd run for cover (lots of good places to hide). One time someone did stop his car and come up looking for us, we scattered and got separated, really scared and that was probably the last of the snowball capers.
MRG, did you ever “hop a car” during a winter snow?

I don’t recall anyone getting hurt but it had the potential of really being dangerous.

When it was snowing, we would get our sleds out and stand alongside the road in the residential area and wait for a car to come along. I always did this away from my house since I was told several times not to do engage in this activity.

When a car came by it could not be going fast because of the snow. We would throw the sled down behind the car, jump on the sled in a prone position and grab the bumper. You had to be fast. Wow, what fun to be towed like that.

If the tail light came on we disengaged quickly and acted like we were not doing anything out of the ordinary. Some drivers would stop immediately, read us the riot act, and tell us to get away from their car. Others seemed willing to pull us along until we let go. Sometimes a neighbor would let a bunch of kids get on behind an then go around the block.

Back in those days, I do not believe the city ever plowed a residential street. A good many of the cars had chains on the rear tires to help with traction. I always had chains in the trunk when I began driving.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:

City Block took out a full-page ad in 1960 Polk's

ROCK - SAND - CEMENT

Lintels

Steel & Aluminum

Sash & Waterproofing

"Howard Supreme" (the only thing I could find on that was a type of strawberry!)

Jalousies

Doors & Windows

Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
MRG, did you ever “hop a car” during a winter snow?

I don’t recall anyone getting hurt but it had the potential of really being dangerous.

When it was snowing, we would get our sleds out and stand alongside the road in the residential area and wait for a car to come along. I always did this away from my house since I was told several times not to do engage in this activity.

When a car came by it could not be going fast because of the snow. We would throw the sled down behind the car, jump on the sled in a prone position and grab the bumper. You had to be fast. Wow, what fun to be towed like that.

If the tail light came on we disengaged quickly and acted like we were not doing anything out of the ordinary. Some drivers would stop immediately, read us the riot act, and tell us to get away from their car. Others seemed willing to pull us along until we let go. Sometimes a neighbor would let a bunch of kids get on behind an then go around the block.

Back in those days, I do not believe the city ever plowed a residential street. A good many of the cars had chains on the rear tires to help with traction. I always had chains in the trunk when I began driving.
Your gang must have been a lot bolder than us as I don't recall ever seeing someone do that. I can picture it since cars did go pretty slow in the snow and slush. I do remember being allowed (many times) riding on the tailgate of a small station wagon, coming back from morning baseball practice at Northeast Athletic Fields. So it would have been along 23rd St, or Winner or Truman Rd. Many starts and stops, but the dad who was also team manager didn't seem to think it was dangerous and it wasn't against the law . . . yet. If we were really bold, we would hop off at a red light and "dare" the light to turn green lol. What fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City