Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 03:39 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
In addition to the "Mormon War", he involved Missourians in the Florida War and Mexican War.
The Florida War took place while he was in office. He might have raised some militia troops from among Missourians but that was not a war that he started.

The Mexican-American War took place a few years after he left office. He went west in 1846 with a wagon train leaving Independence about the same time that war started but I dont think he got involved with that war.

At any rate, those were not the wars I am asking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 PM

320 posts, read 310,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Lilburn W. Boggs was an Independence resident who was elected governor of Missouri. His house was located between Pleasant and Spring Street in the neighborhood of The Campus.

Boggs may be the only governor of Missouri to be the victim of an assassination attempt after leaving office.

While in office he used his executive power as the commander in chief to call up the state militia on three separate occasions in three successive years and started three different wars.

One war was the Mormon War in which he called up the state militia and provided the militia commander with a formal order that all Mormons be eradicated from the face of Missouri or be driven from the state. His order was informally called the Extermination Order.

Boggs also started another extermination war in the same manner by calling up the militia for eradication purposes.

Yet another war was started as the result of a dispute with an American neighbor.

What were the names of the other two wars that he started?
Osage War, 1837
The Osage War in southwestern Missouri occurred when the last remaining Osage Indians refused to move west in 1837. Militia units drove hunting parties of the Osage, Shawnee, and Delaware into Kansas and Arkansas, ending the tribes' hunting expeditions into Missouri.

Mormon War, 1838
The 1830s brought a time of religious conflict to Missouri when western Missouri counties swelled with Mormon migration. In 1831, the Mormon prophet Joseph Smith received a revelation from God identifying Jackson County as the location of Christ's return. In obedience to God's word the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (as the church later came to be known) set about forming a communitarian settlement they named Far West. Mormon clannishness and rapidly rising numbers, however, frightened non-members who believed they would soon be pushed off their land. Eventually, the "old settlers," as they styled themselves, attacked and drove "the Saints" into Clay County, where the local citizens received them sympathetically for what they believed would be a temporary stay. When it became obvious that a permanent Mormon community seemed likely, the troubles began again. Clay County citizens requested removal of the Mormons in 1836. In response, the state legislature created Daviess and Caldwell counties, with the understanding by many that the Mormons would settle in Caldwell County. Mormon settlers, however, felt no such obligation and members soon spread to Carroll, Clinton, Daviess, Chariton, and Livingston counties. Distrust, fear, and soon fiery rhetoric on both sides again emerged. Eventually, open warfare, including raids and individual acts of violence, broke out between the Mormons and non-Mormon neighbors. Governor Lilburn Boggs called the militia to settle the problem. He also issued Executive Order No. 44, of doubtful legality, it declared, "The Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State if necessary for public peace..." Under duress, the Mormons signed away their Missouri property and organized a move to Illinois.

Iowa (or Honey) War, 1839
Although Missouri became a state in 1821, the northern boundary was never properly and legally surveyed. When the territory of Iowa was subsequently created, the southern boundary was simply defined as Missouri's northern boundary, setting up potential for the later conflict. To settle the situation, Congress authorized a joint commission to survey the Missouri/Iowa line. In the 1838 report, four lines were designated as being possible boundary lines, according to the phrasing of the 1820 Missouri boundary delineated by the United States Congress.

The boundary between Missouri and the Iowa Territory soon came into dispute. Governor Lilburn Boggs ordered all officials of Missouri's northern counties to execute the laws of the state up to the northernmost designated line, using the militia if necessary. At the same time, Iowa's Governor Robert Lucas warned Missouri officials to stay out of the disputed border area. Local officials were caught in between, as was a Missouri man who cut three bee trees in the undecided border area. An Iowa territorial court issued a $1.50 fine to the man. To defend Missouri's territorial rights, Governor Boggs called out nearly 800 militiamen from Clark, Knox, and Lewis counties to assemble in Clark County. He rebuffed Governor Lucas' suggestion to let Congress establish the line, leading Lucas to then call out the Iowa militia. After a month's standoff, a committee comprised of men from both militia groups convened and arbitrated a settlement requesting the two governors to submit the boundary question to Congress and suspend military operations. A judicial settlement finally established the boundary in January 1851.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Osage War, 1837
The Osage War in southwestern Missouri occurred when the last remaining Osage Indians refused to move west in 1837. Militia units drove hunting parties of the Osage, Shawnee, and Delaware into Kansas and Arkansas, ending the tribes' hunting expeditions into Missouri.

Mormon War, 1838
The 1830s brought a time of religious conflict to Missouri when western Missouri counties swelled with Mormon migration. In 1831, the Mormon prophet Joseph Smith received a revelation from God identifying Jackson County as the location of Christ's return. In obedience to God's word the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (as the church later came to be known) set about forming a communitarian settlement they named Far West. Mormon clannishness and rapidly rising numbers, however, frightened non-members who believed they would soon be pushed off their land. Eventually, the "old settlers," as they styled themselves, attacked and drove "the Saints" into Clay County, where the local citizens received them sympathetically for what they believed would be a temporary stay. When it became obvious that a permanent Mormon community seemed likely, the troubles began again. Clay County citizens requested removal of the Mormons in 1836. In response, the state legislature created Daviess and Caldwell counties, with the understanding by many that the Mormons would settle in Caldwell County. Mormon settlers, however, felt no such obligation and members soon spread to Carroll, Clinton, Daviess, Chariton, and Livingston counties. Distrust, fear, and soon fiery rhetoric on both sides again emerged. Eventually, open warfare, including raids and individual acts of violence, broke out between the Mormons and non-Mormon neighbors. Governor Lilburn Boggs called the militia to settle the problem. He also issued Executive Order No. 44, of doubtful legality, it declared, "The Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State if necessary for public peace..." Under duress, the Mormons signed away their Missouri property and organized a move to Illinois.

Iowa (or Honey) War, 1839
Although Missouri became a state in 1821, the northern boundary was never properly and legally surveyed. When the territory of Iowa was subsequently created, the southern boundary was simply defined as Missouri's northern boundary, setting up potential for the later conflict. To settle the situation, Congress authorized a joint commission to survey the Missouri/Iowa line. In the 1838 report, four lines were designated as being possible boundary lines, according to the phrasing of the 1820 Missouri boundary delineated by the United States Congress.

The boundary between Missouri and the Iowa Territory soon came into dispute. Governor Lilburn Boggs ordered all officials of Missouri's northern counties to execute the laws of the state up to the northernmost designated line, using the militia if necessary. At the same time, Iowa's Governor Robert Lucas warned Missouri officials to stay out of the disputed border area. Local officials were caught in between, as was a Missouri man who cut three bee trees in the undecided border area. An Iowa territorial court issued a $1.50 fine to the man. To defend Missouri's territorial rights, Governor Boggs called out nearly 800 militiamen from Clark, Knox, and Lewis counties to assemble in Clark County. He rebuffed Governor Lucas' suggestion to let Congress establish the line, leading Lucas to then call out the Iowa militia. After a month's standoff, a committee comprised of men from both militia groups convened and arbitrated a settlement requesting the two governors to submit the boundary question to Congress and suspend military operations. A judicial settlement finally established the boundary in January 1851.

Those are the ones.

Interestingly, in the Honey War, Missouri brought the lawsuit against Iowa and lost. The boundary was resurveyed in 1890 with large markers placed a mile apart. In 2005 another survey was conducted by the state of Missouri to reestablish the exact location of the boundary.

In the Osage War, Missouri tried to get reimbursement of the militia costs to run the Indians out of the state and were rebuffed.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Over the early years, many Indians of various tribes traded in Independence, Missouri.

In the early 1850s, how far was Independence from the closest Indian reservation?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 AM

I see where Dick Puhr a sports editor of the Examiner died at age 81. He apparently never switched to a computer.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:37 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
I see where Dick Puhr a sports editor of the Examiner died at age 81. He apparently never switched to a computer.

Now there's a name from the past.

And now I doubt he ever will

Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Over the early years, many Indians of various tribes traded in Independence, Missouri.

In the early 1850s, how far was Independence from the closest Indian reservation?
Perhaps just a few miles west in today's KCK, home of the relocated Wyandot tribe.

Quote:
I probably met him a few times. Back in the days of my youth I was an Examiner carrier. The practice in those days was to use young 'uns for the daily delivery. Bundles of papers would be dropped at the carrier's home for dispersal. I started with a residential route and the home drop of my papers. After two years the uptown route became available and I snatched it up. Instead of home delivery I went to the Examiner office on Lexington to get my papers literally hot off the press.

During the school year I went directly from school to the office. In the summertime I moseyed up mid-afternoon, sometimes arriving before the presses were rolling. While waiting I would roam about the office and made a few friends. I wasn't big on sports, so I don't specifically recall chatting with Mr. Puhr, but I do recall another staffer that made an impression. Carol Conrow was the staff photographer and writer, and generously guided me during my early days in the craft.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Perhaps just a few miles west in today's KCK, home of the relocated Wyandot tribe.
At fifteen miles west, there were for all practical purposes two equidistant reservations that were the closest Indian reservations to Independence in what was then called Indian Territory.

The two were the Wyandot and the Shawnee.

The entire eastern border of modern day Kansas was occupied by reservations of almost 30 tribes. These reservations extended west from the eastern border. The Osage reservation extended to the 100th meridian (present day Dodge City) and the Delaware extended almost to the 100th meridian.

One vacant reservation located just north of Fort Scott extended west almost to the 100th meridian and was reserved for various Indian tribes living in New York State, but they never made it to Kansas.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:57 PM

How many Indian reservations are there in Kansas today?

And, can you name the tribes occupying them?

Old 11-24-2014, 04:32 PM

In 1828, a missionary reported that Independence, Missouri, had “an overabundance of females here practicing the world’s oldest profession.”

The town could not have been that big……..

The town subsequently adopted an ordinance that provided for a fine of 20 to 250 dollars and/or up to one year in prison for houses of prostitution. Don’t know whether that covered individual free lancing or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City