Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,599,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is that anger I was talking about. There is an appropriate response, and you get mad instead of discussing something rationally. Calling me dense because I suggested a few alternatives is not a good way to deal with something.

It also does not take a 'robot' to not get upset. Getting angry over something like this is a sign of immaturity, which I hope you do not take to the workplace. Control your emotions a little better (like any mature adult) and you might have better results in a job hunt. This emotional outburst of a response simply proved my point.

I am also talking as someone who knows exactly what you are going through. When I showed up for the first day of my current job I found out I would be on call (24/7) one week out of every five weeks, which was never mentioned in any interview. I was upset, but I am still working that job today. It is a good job and the pros outweigh the cons. Getting pissed about something NEVER does any good. Letting your emotions get the best of you always cause more harm than good.

And I really doubt you were 'lied to just to get you in an interview'. We in in the middle of a recession - there are many other people who would love to have any open job. I doubt that company needs to trick anyone to get someone to interview, I am sure they have a very long list of applicants.
Kudo's to you for your logic. You make a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus_123 View Post
You are lucky that you get any interview.
Well, yes, but still..

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 10-08-2009 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,599,299 times
Childcare centers are one of the crappiest jobs out there...unless you are the owner. One would have to be flexible to work at such a place.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM

746 posts, read 2,177,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
First off, I have NEVER lived in such a screwed up area.

Today I had a job interview. Well, the woman called me last week and I asked first off (like I always do) what are the hours of the job? She said 8-4 which would be ideal. She even said "Do those hours work for you?" I said great and made an appointment.

Today I get there and make small talk with her and the person I would be replacing. I state again that the hours would be great since my husband works nights and I have no child care worries during the day.

The interview goes on and I find out she lied to me. She says I can work 8-4 three days a week, but the other 2 I have to open (6:30 am one day) and close the other (till 6:30 pm).

I was livid. She never mentioned this on the phone. I said to her I told you I can't work other hours because I have family commitments. The person I'd be replacing tries to talk me into the great schedule. I say I can't do it. I explained it to you.

The interview stopped and I left.

What a waste of my time, energy, effort.

Let me add it was POURING down with rain today. I wasted my time and gas.

Gods of job karma do not like me.
I'm sorry, but IMHO opinion, you erred here. Jobs are exceedingly hard to come by right now and I can't afford to turn down an otherwise perfectly acceptable job opportunity. I would have found a way to cover my child caring duties for the one morning and evening necessary in the schedule. My husband is currently on second shift too, so I am looking for first shift hours as well. For the one morning a week, my husband would be willing to interrupt his sleep to make sure the kids got off to school. For the one late day, I would find childcare. It's not the end of the world. You must not need a job that bad if you are that inflexible.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Childcare centers are one of the crappiest jobs out there...unless you are the owner. One would have to be flexible to work at such a place.
I worked in several. The first I worked 9:30-5:30, the next 8:30-4:30, another was 7 am-until 3ish (I can't remember as it was years ago).

Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,907,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I worked in several. The first I worked 9:30-5:30, the next 8:30-4:30, another was 7 am-until 3ish (I can't remember as it was years ago).
The above is an indication that you cannot compare years ago to today. Today is just not like even a year ago. Unless you come to terms with that, and for as long as you dig your heels in with the limitations you put on yourself, you would be hard pressed to find employment.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,437,970 times
IMHO, the comments here reflect personal circumstances and perspective. No one is necessarily wrong (except if you're being judgmental). What may have been crappy a few years ago still is crappy today, but job seekers tolerate it more. And that's because jobs are harder to come by. Employers can afford to be picky, inflexible, even disingenuous more so today than yesterday. It's not a really good scene out here right now.

That doesn't excuse employer behavior. Some potential employees are either more tolerant of the crap, or they see things for what they are, and they take the job and deal until they find something better. Others don't want to do that, because an interview with red flags can lead to a bad job experience. What if you take that job, it bombs, and you end up with a bad reference or experience not worth putting on your resume? You have to weigh things.

I've made the mistake in the past of taking a job with some red flags and went through some unneeded stress. But I was paid decently and received decent experience. Was it worth the price? Yes and no. The job before that was crappy AND paid less. What I have learned is that I need to choose the best and most flexible work environment I can for my kids' sake. And hopefully that new job will pay a lot more than the last one. I also want to work somewhere for several years and not jump ship after 2 or 3 years b/c the boss is a PITA or the pay sucks. A tall order these days, so I am glad to have a job now.

That being said, GypsySoul's experience is hers, and she has a right to how she feels. And she has a point. The more employees put up with, the less likely the work world will change.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,907,609 times
I agree. Our choices are all a product of our personal circumstances and will differ from person to person. In making these choices, we agree to be responsible for the outcomes. The challenge is understanding the dynamics of the give and take within those choices and that to a certain degree we have control over the results.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
I would not like to work for someone who is a liar or some such, but for me, the truth is that there are few jobs if any, and if I need a job, I'll work for the devil himself. That said, I did quit a job (knowing there were more out there, ah, 1999) when the supervisor threatened a complaint on my license when I didn't want to be forced to work a day shift as an attendant after working the night shift as charge RN. (Wouldn't want to be forced no matter what- it's just physically a disaster, and you're still responsible for any mistakes you make).
However, with hindsight, if there were no other jobs around and I knew that, I'd have sucked it up, worked and whined about it, and feel like I got my finger stuck in a light socket for all that turnaround awakeness. I would never trust that supervisor on ANYTHING but I find it a bit facile t say that someone wouldn't want to work at a company that does ____ or a supervisor, etc. Ya gotta eat. Sometimes that means eating, well, stuff you don't wanna eat.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,279,641 times
They should have told you straight out what the job hours were. Let me preface what I'm about to say with this...(I am a woman and I did raise a child, a child whom I was VERY particular about his care, to say the least!) I don't think you're "inflexible" to not want those hours. If your husband can't do the early part, the early morning hours are particularly problematic. That said, however, I think some may be just advising you that you may want to consider accepting some conditions you don't like if you want to work. Obviously, if you can't do it, you just can't do it. I do understand that, but again, I think it IS advisable to try to work out whatever you can if something comes available but the hours are not ideal. (In this case, yes, I do understand also that their lack of forthrightness from the get-go is an issue, not the hours alone.) Just saying...

Also, my husband & I have both had experiences of taking jobs which had something about them that was not what we desired, but we were desperate enough at that point to take them anyway and soon saw the situation change for the better. For example, my husband took a computer support position working 3-11pm. He hated that, but within about a month, he unexpectedly was able to change to days and worked at that job 13 years! I took a job right out of college that was part-time when we desperately needed full-time. Again, within about a month some unexpected circumstances came up which enabled me to go full-time as desired. Another time I took a job about 20 miles from our house. I wasn't pleased with the distance and commute time, but within about 3-4 months I was able to transfer within that company to our suburb of Plano working five minutes or so from the house. So sometimes things can change even if they are not great when you begin.

But, by the way, Gypsy Soul, at the same time, I have turned down jobs (even when very desperate to work) because of certain things. I remember one job I was offered and refused to take when I desperately needed work because I felt the lady that offered the job had some kind of mental/emotional problem. I just knew it wouldn't work out, end of story. LIke bowian said above, there were definite red flags. So I know there are times, you just have to refuse it. Another time, again when we were very desperate, I was offered a job working as a social service worker in a men's half-way house...at night in a less than desirable part of town. I was desperate enough to take it, but my husband wouldn't allow me to do so, and probably rightly so, in retrospect.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-08-2009 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search