Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I don't want to come off in this thread like some bitchy diva, because I am not. I just feel like I am honest about what hours I can work. I also would expect a place interviewing me to do the same.....
You are not coming off that way - you were LIED TO and you are angry and I would be too. It's better that you found out now rather than later.

A few years back I was hired for a job and was told it was 5 days a week from 9-5 and I accepted. The very first day of work, the boss had the nerve to ask me if I could work until 5:15 everyday. This was after agreeing to a salary for 9-5. I have no problem staying late as long as I am the one making myself stay, but when it's "required", I do have a problem. The job did not work out for me for other reasons and I am glad I am not there. I cannot and will not work for a LIAR!

Personally, I can't work for someone I don't respect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
First off, I have NEVER lived in such a screwed up area.

Today I had a job interview. Well, the woman called me last week and I asked first off (like I always do) what are the hours of the job? She said 8-4 which would be ideal. She even said "Do those hours work for you?" I said great and made an appointment.

Today I get there and make small talk with her and the person I would be replacing. I state again that the hours would be great since my husband works nights and I have no child care worries during the day.

The interview goes on and I find out she lied to me. She says I can work 8-4 three days a week, but the other 2 I have to open (6:30 am one day) and close the other (till 6:30 pm).

I was livid. She never mentioned this on the phone. I said to her I told you I can't work other hours because I have family commitments. The person I'd be replacing tries to talk me into the great schedule. I say I can't do it. I explained it to you.

The interview stopped and I left.

What a waste of my time, energy, effort.

Let me add it was POURING down with rain today. I wasted my time and gas.

Gods of job karma do not like me.
Sorry to hear this! That interviewer was EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL! Why do people feel so free to waste someone else's time? The prospective employee is going to find out sooner or later that it is NOT straight 8 to 4, so why not be upfront about it over the phone and then let the prospective employee make the decision before going for an interview whether the hours will work for them? But no, some people are morons or they think you'll be so dazzled by them you will agree to work any hours.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 PM

70 posts, read 136,877 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I don't want to come off in this thread like some bitchy diva, because I am not. I just feel like I am honest about what hours I can work. I also would expect a place interviewing me to do the same.

I realize there is always some investment in a job interview and that you may not get the job despite using your gas, time, and so on, but when they blatantly 'lie.'

Well, live and learn. Tomorrow is another day, Scarlett O'Haras of the job seeking world.

Hubby was VERY sympathetic. He said it's their loss.

You're not coming across as a bitchy diva. You have family commitments and you cannot back out on those. It appears they did the old "bait and switch" on you as someone else mentioned in this thread. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

I have read several of your threads, and I know you are getting frustrated. Perhaps you can look into something where you can work from home? Start your own business? I know that sounds like a bunch of hokey advice but I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason. Perhaps you are being guided into doing something that's the right fit for you.

Regardless, I wish you nothing but the very, very best of luck in the future Gypsy. Hang in there. It's not you, it's the situation right now. People are trying to take advantage of people left and right.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Thank you all for the support.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,243 times
You did the right thing if they lied before your hired... what a waste of time.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
That's wrong. I'm sorry that happened. They get you in there and then, "Oh by the way...." and they think you will just agree. Grrrr....

The only plus is you didn't start working there and then they say, "Oh, tomorrow, you have to be here at 6:30am."

My current job - which is almost over thank goodness - they were not forthcoming on a lot of things during the interview process and are some of the reasons I quit.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
While it would have been nice for HR to say "8-4 three days a week, start 6:30 AM one day a week and end 6:30 PM one day a week", it's not the end of the world. If you don't want to go on any more interviews, you are going to be unemployed forever.

In this job market, if you are so inflexible that you cannot start 90 minutes sooner, you are going to have a very tough time finding work. Sorry but that's real life.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeseburgers View Post
The Container Store offers a shift called "family friendly" which is from 9am-2pm - specifically for school drop off's and pick ups.
sugar-coated version of "part-time", which for many people is "underemployment"

Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Most of the employers today feel that they don't have to be honest with anyone. They get you in the door and people are so desperate for a job that they will do anything to get it. So, they go with a general idea of the job, then unless you specifically pull it out of them, they won't tell you. Good for forcing them, too bad you can't get them to pay for your wasted time and gas. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get paid for going on all these wasted job interviews.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
sugar-coated version of "part-time", which for many people is "underemployment"
True, but there's nothing wrong with that. My last job had fairly long hours and a long commute and my wife (who was working f/t and we were struggling with day care expenses and eventually picking up/dropping off kids from school) would've LOVED to work a job with those hours. It's would've been really convenient for us and perhaps motivated me to give more to my job knowing that we had that partial 2nd income without a lot of hassle and extra expense. I'm sure there's others that feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
While it would have been nice for HR to say "8-4 three days a week, start 6:30 AM one day a week and end 6:30 PM one day a week", it's not the end of the world. If you don't want to go on any more interviews, you are going to be unemployed forever.

In this job market, if you are so inflexible that you cannot start 90 minutes sooner, you are going to have a very tough time finding work. Sorry but that's real life.
I hear you on this, but if all you do is agree to any schedule/schedule change they give all the time no matter what, you'll be working 12 hours/day every day, trust me, I've seen it all to often. Business has needs, but it also shouldn't be that your choices are simply limited p/t employment vs. working so much that the only thing you can do is sleep and have no family, etc. either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search