Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times

Advertisements

Yesterday we had a guy come in wearing swim trunks to ask about a job. Swim trunks, a tank top, and sandals. Like he was on the way to the beach. Crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 02:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,548,469 times
I also can't imagine a truck driver making a delivery to a customer looking less than his/her best. For goodness sake, it's not that hard to get a shower and put on clean clothes before your delivery appointment. Most of the drivers in my company look presentable at the customer. But a few don't. And it just burns me up to see our reputation sullied by some clod walking into the shipper in some greasy gym pants and a T-shirt with some silly message on it...

Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 PM

52 posts, read 246,416 times
Was at a job fair/instant interview last fall for a local manufacturing company. While I didn't expect to see people in suits for some of the hourly positions offered, I thought that everyone would have at least washed whatever business casual attire they would have worn. Flip flops, flithy cut off jeans and tank tops seemed to be the clothing of choice. I was also shocked to see how many small (unruly) children were brought to the interview. And talk in the waiting area (in earshot of HR) consisted of how badly their last job sucked, how they got around doing the work they were assigned, and whose brother/sister/cousin was arrested for assualt/theft/DUI/whatever since many of them seemed to know each other from Bumblescrew, upstate NY. It was so surreal.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM

42 posts, read 186,758 times
Default Unbelievable but true

My company was opening a new jewelry store in a small town a few years ago. The main industry in the area was a large chicken processing plant. While the location for our store was being remodeled, we set up a table out front with employment applications, pens, etc. We hoped to hire about six or seven people and train them to sell fine jewelry.

On the application under the catagory "Current Employer", about half the applicants listed the chicken plant. What was so amusing to us was what they listed as their position. These are the two actual positions listed that I'll never forget:

Gizzard Puller
Chicken Chaser

Needless to say, when we called in some of the applicants for an interview, very few plant workers were included. About 90% of those interviewed showed up dressed in jeans and T-shirts, sneakers, flip flops, etc. Did they really think they would stand a chance?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:53 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,842,797 times
Quote:
Gizzard Puller
Chicken Chaser
Better than Chicken Puller or Gizzard Chaser!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:01 PM

943 posts, read 3,163,104 times
I have interviewed my share of just terrible applicants but none of those people would ever admit to me or to themselves that they were just terrible. The thought never entered their mind, or would they ever consider a class in job hunting or reading a book about interviewing and resumes. It is a subculture of people and that is how they think.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,447,191 times
Also, don't thrust your face at the person at the front desk, register, etc. and say/shout "Application!"
And remember, don't be rude to any of the other employers - you never know who has the boss's ear (I always did, and if someone was rude to me I made sure the boss knew it)

Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 AM

79 posts, read 226,636 times
Back when I had really bad insomnia, I was cruising through want ads and I emailed my resume to this very high end dr.'s office in Manhattan.

I had two email addys at the time. One, my business email which included my real name, and a personal one which didn't.

So the day comes for the interview and it's a bomb from the moment I sit down, we both know it but we're going through the motions until she pulls out my resume and says, "Soooo... Psycho Boy Jack..."

The moral: if you have multiple email addresses, make sure you send out your resume from the right one!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
When I used to vet resumes at my last job I can't tell you how many came in from email addresses like sexxxysilviaxxx@ and nig***zphatboy@ and tokersmoker@ and so many other completely inappropriate addresses.

Also be careful what you've got on Myspace, facebook, twitter, etc. Yes, employers look, and yes, employers won't hire you even if you are the best candidate if your social life is questionable. Remove all photos of you passed out, smoking weed, throwing gang signs, your tattoos, your piercings, etc. Have comments your friends leave for you require approval as well. Guilt by association is alive and well. Don't give employers any reason to not want to hire you.

There's nothing wrong with having accounts with social networking sites, but just be prudent in what you put online. The golden rule is if you wouldn't show it/say it to your 80 year old grandmother, keep it off your site.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM

750 posts, read 1,435,646 times
I once interviewed a candidate for an open position in my department. It was a well paying job, as an appeals researcher for a big insurance company. He was professionally dressed, serious, the interview going well. His cell phone rang, he answered it, and held his finger up at me in a "just a moment" gesture, and carried on a conversation.

I stood up, gathered my papers and left the conference room. When he finished his call, he opened the conference room door, and I told him our interview was complete. I had all the information I needed. No, he was not hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search