Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM

264 posts, read 2,144,277 times

Advertisements

Last night I drank a three beers (not much) before sleeping and then this morning I got called into work for a drug test, I drank approximately 2 Liters of water between the beers and the drug test.

Yes they screen for alcohol.

Will I pass the test? It was a urine test.

Last edited by 2goldens; 02-23-2010 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,364,520 times
Depends on the test they use, how much you drank and when, and if you are a regular drinker. I think an etg test can detect alcohol 60 to 80 hours after consumption.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:30 PM

I didn't drink for about 2 weeks until yesterday.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Last night I drank a three beers (not much) before sleeping and then this morning I got called into work for a drug test, I drank approximately 2 Liters of water between the beers and the drug test.

Yes they screen for alcohol.

Will I pass the test? It was a urine test.
You are fine, 3 beers the night before isn't going to test bad. Were you at work when they pulled you in for the test?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:03 PM

No, they called me in the morning. I just interviewed for the job yesterday and they said the drug test would be Monday next week (yesterday).

But then they said to do it today (today).

Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,364,520 times
I don't think I would worry about it too much. I doubt anything will show up. I think they are looking for excessive amounts of alcohol.

Hope you get the job!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 PM

48 posts, read 469,744 times
Default RN opinion on your question

I am a registered nurse, and I've had to do some urine tox screens on patients before, so I could give you my opinion. Although, of course, I am not going to claim to know for sure whether or not you will "pass", I can tell you the factors that will make a difference.

-The "magic number" is 12 hours...we say that if it's been at least 12 hours since your last sip of alcohol, it should not show up on a tox screen that you have been drinking (yes, alcohol clears your system much, much faster than other substances). Of course, this would not be the case if someone were injesting enormous amounts of alcohol, but it doesn't sound like you were.

- In general, you're right, the alcohol content in 3 beers does not amount to much. However, as you also probably know, your body mass does make a difference. If you are a very small person, you will metabolize alcohol much more slowly than a larger individual (meaning, the metabolites, or evidence that you have injested alcohol, will take longer to reach your kidneys and will show up in your urine later if you are a smaller person). Although, even a 100-lb woman should be able to metabolize the alcohol content in 3 beers over about 6-8 hours. If you are male, you'll almost always metabolize alcohol faster than a female, and if you are over 200lbs, you can usually metabolize 3 beers in under 3 hours. These are estimations, though--it differs from person to person depending on muscle mass, hydration, and other factors, but those are some baseline numbers to go by.

- Also, I am assuming you probably have healthy liver and kidney function; these would be other contributing factors that could keep the metabolites in your system longer (unless you are already aware of a condition, this is not something you should worry about... kidney or liver failure aren't things people "stumble upon" through failing a drug test).

- Drinking a lot of water would help a little, as long as it had already been at least a couple of hours since you had any alcohol, because it would definitely dilute any metabolites in your urine, making it harder to detect. Be careful not to overdo it, though, especially since there actually is such a thing as water intoxication (it takes a extremely large amounts of water over a very short period of time (I'm talking multiple gallons of water in maybe under a half hour), but you can seriously imbalance your electrolytes and cause major problems with extreme overhydration). You can tell you've had enough water if: your urine is clear, or if you are urinating every 30-45 minutes. At that point, you don't want to force a lot more plain water. Just drink normal amounts.

Well, sorry I wrote so much up there. My guess is that, unless you are a very small person who stayed up all night and went to have the drug test only an hour after you stopped drinking, you will probably be okay. As I mentioned before, though, I can never be sure. I hope this was at least somewhat helpful. Good luck to you!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:28 PM

18,028 posts, read 27,475,785 times
No need to be sorry. That's good info for sure.

So you drink 3 12 oz beers (I assume) and you go to bed and the next day, you take the test.

I don't think you should have worried at all. Two alcoholic beverages per day should be fine for the normal or moderate drinker. Three might give you a little bit of a buzz, but we metabolize so much alcohol per hour.

Had you drank them the morning before the test, I'd be a little concerned.

So they find a trace amount of alcohol in your system. What's wrong with that? They're kind of looking for drugs, right? For most people, drinking a few beers at home after work or the day before work is not a crime. If you're restricted from such activity for legal reasons, that's another issue.

If you're on probation or on parole for any number of reasons or suffering from a recent DUI conviction, there again-that's another story.

Hey, if you pass the test and get hired-have a drink on me!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:01 PM

We'll I should have the results tomorrow, hopefully my employer doesn't mind if alcohol is found. It is somewhat of a worry to me only because it is law enforcement. I can see if I worked in a office it not mattering as much.

I do not drink that often, I just had a few friends over that night so we had a few beers after we ate.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
alcohol is not illegal so why should it matter if it shows up. I thought drug testing was for illegal substances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search