Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,771,505 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So my whole reason to go get my bachelor's degree was to become a drug and alcohol counselor for our county government. Well, I applied to intern there for the Friday Night Live Drug and Alcohol Intervention program and they did not select me. I feel if they don't select me for this intern (probably because 2 females interviewed me and acted like they wanted a female for job), then they probably won't select me for the job. I do know the head of drug and alcohol services because I took a class with her. They took a lot of time with me at the internship interview, but I left with them saying they will let me know if they want me in a week or not. I took that they didn't want me.

I feel it's kind of pointless now to intern for a non-profit drug and alcohol organization since I can't get the job at the county. The county is the only worth while place to work to get a decent wage for the work you do, so I can't work anywhere else.

My back up plan is go into human resources. However, my concentration is in Criminal Justice and not Organizations Management. I don't even have an internship set up in human resources (yet). Ugh what should I do?

Regards,

the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:53 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,488,614 times
There are usually substance abuse jobs with the adult and juvenile detention facilities at the state level.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
There are usually substance abuse jobs with the adult and juvenile detention facilities at the state level.
Yeah there is a prison nearby and I would KILL to have a job at the prison. I just don't know what my odds of getting that job would be.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:50 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,130,427 times
Many counties don't have the staffing budget to add many jobs, since the state level funding has dried up. The jobs are going to be very localized depending on the tax and budgeting situation. With the sequester, federal dollars going to the state will dry up also.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Many counties don't have the staffing budget to add many jobs, since the state level funding has dried up. The jobs are going to be very localized depending on the tax and budgeting situation. With the sequester, federal dollars going to the state will dry up also.
So should I not look towards county and state jobs, but look to federal jobs?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
Many social service programs are in need of female employees, not that they are sexist, but they want to keep a balance of female/male in relation to the people getting the service. Some kinds of help are more effective when the provider is the same gender. This is not a good time to look for a federal job, if you follow the news. For HR work the most secure jobs are those not dependent on tax dollars. That would be utility districts, port authorities, and airports. The problem is that they will require many years of experience. With so many qualified, experienced people laid off in HR with layoffs and hiring freezes since 2008, it would be hard to compete right out of school. I would consider the greatest future need in HR to be the area of benefits administration, as healthcare costs and regulation continue to go out of control. Also, continuous process improvement, to provide efficiency to accomplish more work with the same or less people. Look at programs like Six Sigma and the promising LEAN program that we have implemented, I expect there to be great demand in the next few years.

lean.org - Lean Enterprise Institute | Lean Production | Lean Manufacturing | LEI | Lean Services
Six Sigma Certification and 6 Sigma Training
http://www.joanwellmanassociates.com...rprise_MHC.pdf

Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Many social service programs are in need of female employees, not that they are sexist, but they want to keep a balance of female/male in relation to the people getting the service. Some kinds of help are more effective when the provider is the same gender. This is not a good time to look for a federal job, if you follow the news. For HR work the most secure jobs are those not dependent on tax dollars. That would be utility districts, port authorities, and airports. The problem is that they will require many years of experience. With so many qualified, experienced people laid off in HR with layoffs and hiring freezes since 2008, it would be hard to compete right out of school. I would consider the greatest future need in HR to be the area of benefits administration, as healthcare costs and regulation continue to go out of control. Also, continuous process improvement, to provide efficiency to accomplish more work with the same or less people. Look at programs like Six Sigma and the promising LEAN program that we have implemented, I expect there to be great demand in the next few years.

lean.org - Lean Enterprise Institute | Lean Production | Lean Manufacturing | LEI | Lean Services
Six Sigma Certification and 6 Sigma Training
http://www.joanwellmanassociates.com...rprise_MHC.pdf
LOL well that confirms it. The fact that the 2 local counties hiring only have 1 position open and the fact there are more HR jobs out there is a sign I need to put more energy into getting a human resource job.

Thanks everyone for giving me great ideas.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,749,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yeah there is a prison nearby and I would KILL to have a job at the prison. I just don't know what my odds of getting that job would be.

Haha, get it? KILL to have a job at the prison??

Sorry, I am zero help.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,944,357 times
I'm in the mental health field (recently transitioned to substance abuse) and what I've learned over the years is: Substance abuse pays more than mental health & for profit substance abuse companies pays more than non for profit. It might be hard to do (with little experience) but see if you could intern for a for profit company rather than only focusing on gov't or non profit. You'll find that people who are in private practice are more connected than those who work for the gov't. Just a suggestion.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I'm in the mental health field (recently transitioned to substance abuse) and what I've learned over the years is: Substance abuse pays more than mental health & for profit substance abuse companies pays more than non for profit. It might be hard to do (with little experience) but see if you could intern for a for profit company rather than only focusing on gov't or non profit. You'll find that people who are in private practice are more connected than those who work for the gov't. Just a suggestion.
Here in CA though, the for profit and non profit substance abuse rehab programs pay the same-about $30k start and $40k finish. The Gov pays $40k start to $52 finish with a union and benefits.

A quick search too shows that there r a lot more HR jobs in my local market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment