Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times

Advertisements

During the recession and recovery we have heard may counter-points for how you get a job. I want to know if following up with companies are a good idea or if it is a bad one. You rarely see the "don't call us, we'll call you" in the postings but you often aren't given contact information for the company either and have to track it down on your own and hope you get the right person. I want to know what are people's thoughts about following up. Should we follow up or should we just sit around and wait or does it even matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM

23,558 posts, read 24,082,840 times
It would depend on what stage of the interview process you are at. If you have sent resumes with no response, I would think that the companies are not interested and I would not follow-up. If you have interviewed and not heard back, I would follow-up based on what they said at the interview.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,434,741 times
I had an interview,but the guy said his manager would get back to me. I'm a bit hesitant to call them again,I figure if they were interested they would call.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,016,464 times
If you haven't even had an interview, don't follow up. IF you have had an interview, then wait 2 weeks. Usually when a job tells me "you'll know by next week" I give them an additional week. This is why at interviews I always ask "when should I expect to hear something?"

Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,682,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
If you haven't even had an interview, don't follow up. IF you have had an interview, then wait 2 weeks. Usually when a job tells me "you'll know by next week" I give them an additional week. This is why at interviews I always ask "when should I expect to hear something?"
good advice here. although if someone calls you to say someone is going to contact you to set up an interview, and then no one gets back to you, i'd follow up once a few days after you've been told to expect a call. sometimes those calls go nowhere though, so i wouldn't follow up again past that point.

i do send one follow-up/thank you e-mail after each interview. but i don't expect a response from that. otherwise, i wait from a few days to a week after they've told me to get back to them before checking in. and i only send one, very politely asking them if their timeline has changed. you definitely don't want to pester people. it very, very rarely helps and can hurt you.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,016,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
good advice here. although if someone calls you to say someone is going to contact you to set up an interview, and then no one gets back to you, i'd follow up once a few days after you've been told to expect a call. sometimes those calls go nowhere though, so i wouldn't follow up again past that point.
Yup I would do this too!

Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I agree good logic, same with the thank yous.

I think the issue is there are many "one-size fits all" beliefs in hiring. The fact is what works for some doesn't for others and there are others who find "bad advice" by "experts" actually works when it comes to finding jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search