Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,073,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Good to have the "inside story" so to speak.

So I have a few more questions for those that regularly review applications and resumes.

On systems that allow you to upload your resume intact, they'll also have a comments section in the ap after each job listing. I've always cut/pasted from my resume to fill this out -- is something different expected here?
That works fine.

Quote:
What information is actually forwarded to you -- the entire ap only or the ap + the resume?
The EEOC stuff is stripped away. I never see that. The first stuff I see is the fill in the blanks stuff. Your name, address, employment history. Below that is the cut & paste comment section, and then links to supporting documents like resume and cover letter.

For the system that I use, any files you upload keep the file names you choose. So if you call it bob_resume, that is what I see. If you call it stupid_cover_letter, I see that too.

Quote:
I've noticed more aps asking the screening questions. I always answer them honestly, but I'm wondering if people just answer them with the expected answers just to get to the next level, kind of negating the whole purpose of the questions.

Thx.
I am torn as to how to answer that. At my employer, these are used exclusively to filter you out. So if the job posting says that I need someone with 6 months experience as a forklift operator and you answer no to that question, I will never see your application. But, if you have 3 months of experience, a CDL, and used to drive a tank in the marines, I would consider you.

In that instance, I would suggest you lie on the screening question, then address that in your comments or cover letter. Say that you have all of this other experience that is comparable.

Yes, lots of people lie on the screening questions. No (unless they have comp exp as in my example above) it does not help. I can double check this stuff when comparing your résumé, and if I determine that you lied, I immediately eliminate you from consideration.

This is my experience on my system, and other systems may differ. The particular software that we use is common in some industries though, and you may very well have used it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,704,455 times
Watch between 0:53-1:12 on this video:

Marvel Mash-Up Ep. 12: Bruce Banner - YouTube

This is what happens when an employer is looking over a job application. At least this is how a friend of mine described it.....countless staring at the application

Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,587,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is my experience on my system, and other systems may differ. The particular software that we use is common in some industries though, and you may very well have used it.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 AM

127 posts, read 143,203 times
I do most of the hiring for my company and we accept applications/resumes online, through the mail, and those that are dropped off at the front desk. We keep all of them for six months. If an opening becomes available, I sift through those before spending money to advertise the position.

Word of advice: Put everything you want us to know in that resume or application. Don't ever write in "for more information, go to my website or Facebook" or "for examples of my work, visit this website." No. I'm not going to waste my time looking for your information. I already have a job. If you're too lazy to provide us with what we need, you're not who we're looking for.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
Default Active Consideration vs "On File"

Many employers are obligated to maintain applications for a year or more but that does not mean that an application is considered for that time. An application may only be considered for the opening for which you applied. The retention period end is determined by the date the opening for which you applied was filled or the last date you were considered, which ever is the latter. The retention period is prolonged when an employer is audited by DOL or EEOC.

Electronic resume management systems typically keep all applications for the retention period, even those that weren't considered because they didn't pass the screen. Digital data storage is cheap.

Paper application systems usually file applications in a folder which holds all apps for a req (job opening) then disposes of the folder at the end of the retention period. As a practical matter those records are filed by date closed. Folders are put in a box with a dispose date and when an employer needs storage space they dispose of the boxes they no longer need to keep.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,587,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Kat View Post
Word of advice: Put everything you want us to know in that resume or application. Don't ever write in "for more information, go to my website or Facebook" or "for examples of my work, visit this website." No. I'm not going to waste my time looking for your information. I already have a job. If you're too lazy to provide us with what we need, you're not who we're looking for.
Good to know.

An exception to this might be for graphics positions. Frequently, a posting will state "provide a link to your portfolio or email PDF examples." In that case, I'll include the link in my cover letter/resume. PDFs can clog up someones email box real quick! In a few cases, an ad will specifically request no links, just send a PDF. Then I'll send a 5-page PDF.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Kat View Post
I do most of the hiring for my company and we accept applications/resumes online, through the mail, and those that are dropped off at the front desk. We keep all of them for six months. If an opening becomes available, I sift through those before spending money to advertise the position.

Or a web design position where obviously you'd want to see "live" work samples.

My favorites were always the ones where under "references" they write:

Joe Cleveland

That's it. No last name, address, phone, or explanation of how they know "Joe." Do they really think there is one guy named "Joe" in Cleveland? Those got tossed immediately. It's one thing if they fill it out in person and say:

Joe Smith, 313-555-1212, Cleveland, OH Former Co-Worker

But Joe? really?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,404,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
But if I'm working now why does it matter? And you only been employed 7 months and in no position to be high and mighty. Neither one of us are because we have not been employed more than a year.
You are quite incorrect about the numbers. I do not update my employment status on here as often or as immediately as you seem to think....

Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 PM

412 posts, read 959,242 times
The company I work for only accepts online applications. You submit your cover letter, resume and answer the questions. A lot of the questions cover what's probably already in your resume so there's a lot of cut-and-pasting. Then if your application is chosen you go through a group interview, a skills test, a drug screening and a background check. If all goes well and the wind blows the right way, you have yourself a job.

I was skeptical when I first applied because I'd never used an online application system and was worried it might disappear into the ether, never to be seen again. But I had a call back within a few days.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,087,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You are quite incorrect about the numbers. I do not update my employment status on here as often or as immediately as you seem to think....

You started working last June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search