Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,413,006 times

Advertisements

It depends on the Unicru personality test. If you score red, it's deleted before the manager sees it (how is this not illegal?). Yellow, it's saved in the backlog. Green, you are on top of the list to get interviewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,404,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They fall into a deep dark hole where they are reviewed by a Rabbit carrying a time piece. Those that drink the right potion will be invited in to play a game of chess. The ones that don't die playing get to meet the Queen of Hearts. She'll pick the one she can tolerate the most and they will get the job.

(It's satire folks, just calm down.)
LOL...I'm thebunny, and apparently I am at the end of the rabbit hole in this case. They go to me, and I look at them, first to see if they have the required experience. If they do not have the required experience, that's it. If they do, I send it off to the recruiter or the person hiring for the position.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,506,580 times
I have had a fair amount of luck with online applications. I always have the extras such as awards, fairly well networked, and the experience. When I don't my app hits cyber trash probably like those on this thread.

It's a very competitive market as all us know and if you don't have most of t's and i's crossed and dotted there is someone that does.

All of these hoops employers want us to jump through are nothing more than filters.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
We will only accept them online through our HR system. You must follow directions, create a user ID and password, and upload a resume pdf or docx file. If you can't do that correctly, you will be eliminated since that ability is required for all jobs. As they come in the hiring manager reviews and marks them as meeting or not meeting the requirements. HR does the same, and in case of a difference we discuss and work it out. Then I will decide how many to interview, rank them, and cut it off at or about that number, usually 15-20. If a bunch of people are close around that ranking we might include more. The other 80-100 get a rejection letter soon after, those invited for an interview get a call.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,087,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Online applications are basically a crapshoot. A friend of mine who worked at an Investment Bank told me they never even looked at online applications and told me to not even bother with them. All the posts in the thread so far are correct but policies differ from company to company. To the OP, you don't have anything to lose applying online except for your time. That said, don't expect a lot of success from applying online. You are better off networking by going on informational interviews, cold calling, and asking friends and families about people that they know who are in the industry/company that you are interested in.

I agree, online applications have always been a joke and I would rather sell stuff out of my house than complete a online application.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I agree, online applications have always been a joke and I would rather sell stuff out of my house than complete a online application.
Remind me, how long did it take you to find a job?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,087,915 times
Quote:

I'm working now and feel good and that's all that matters. Feels good to be out of non-profit

Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM

23,604 posts, read 24,139,882 times
I have received interviews and a job offer from an online application. It works, if your resume shows your skills and you interview well.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,163,851 times
Applying online doesn't mean your resume will be considered but not applying online means your resume will never be considered. I'm happy that there are people who feel that online applications are "a joke". It just means one less candidate to compete with.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:19 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,404,332 times
Quote:
That would be, and I quote "all of 2012"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search