Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 AM

254 posts, read 810,537 times

Advertisements

I have an interview tomorrow and I am very excited about it. One of the qualifications they have in the job description is negotiating construction contracts. I am not familiar with this type of negotiation and do not have it listed on my resume. How can I snag the job without this background? I don't want to lose the job to someone who may have these skills. I am sure it won't be a problem in learning it but I do not have experience doing this type of negotiating. They must know this as it is not on my resume.
How do I answer this question if it comes up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
Hard to imagine you would have a shot vs. a candidate that has this experience. Best you can do is stress you are a fast learner. I would try and figure out exactly what goes in to "negotiating construction contracts" so you can at least talk intelligently about it. Perhaps you will find out you have some related experience.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
They probably assume that you have that experience whether it is on your resume or not. I would say that the lack of said required experience will sink you.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM

410 posts, read 1,522,551 times
Say "While I do not have direct experience in ______ my experience as ______ has taught me _______which is applied to (said direct experience)." Be sure to know your skills, the skills they are looking for and what similarities they have. Negotiation is Negotiation regardless of field....words are different, theory is the same.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,170,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Say "While I do not have direct experience in ______ my experience as ______ has taught me _______which is applied to (said direct experience)." Be sure to know your skills, the skills they are looking for and what similarities they have. Negotiation is Negotiation regardless of field....words are different, theory is the same.
I would switch the order of the two phrases.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
Spend ever waking hour between now and the interview online/in the library studying construction contract negotiation and contract law. Study enough so that you are able to talk intelligently on the subject in the interview.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM

650 posts, read 1,813,366 times
Speaking as a General Contractor, negotiating construction contracts could either mean dealing with the subcontractor or the client. Let them know you're very good at dealing with people. It would help if you've had client or subcontractor relations in the past. Any relations at all will do, they just want to know you've dealt with them. It would be especially great if you have experience quantifying numbers and materials. Then it makes it sound like you know how to check the contract amounts.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 AM

I am reviewing basic construction services agreements info I printed off the net. I want the job but am surprised they want to interview me knowing that I do not have this background. I was recently laid off from a start up and am furiously looking for employment. I am very interested in the job but am very nervous about the requirements. I just hope I give a decent interview and don't undersell myself. I am confident in my skills but not this particular area.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 PM

475 posts, read 1,372,206 times
It may be difficult to fathom but it is completely possible they didn't even notice this was missing but that doesn't mean you're off the hook. I was called by a company and was missing a component and had to do my best to cover it. I'd expect they will come directly at you with questions regarding this. If you can't quote direct experience, try using a business case you find and state how you could use it in your negotiating and that you understand the principles, preferably an industry standard or a program associated with quotes and negotiations. Try to keep extended talks on what you know best with supporting stories of your success in those categories.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM

Guess I'll go in with fingers and toes crossed using other examples of my negotiating skills. All I can do is give it my best shot, I guess......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search