Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:10 AM

501 posts, read 801,535 times

Advertisements

I submitted my resume a couple of hours ago for a customer service position for a home furnishings company. I received an automated email with the following:

Automatic Reply Email Questions

Hello

Thank you for your interest for this position. We are ready to hire the right candidate for this position today. Please reply to this email after answering the questions below.

For the last 3 jobs mentioned in your resume, please tell me the following:

What were you hired to do?

What were your accomplishments?

What did you enjoy most from your role?

What did you enjoy least from your role?

How much were you making when you left?

Why did you leave?

What have your previous colleagues and bosses said (or would say) are your natural gifts and talents while at work?

Are you interested in a part time or full time position?

If hired to work with us when would you be able to start?

Tell us something interesting about yourself…(there is no right or wrong answer to this question)

Thank you for your time in answering these questions for us. All responses and information will be kept confidential.

Please email your responses

In the subject line of the email, please insert “_____________________ – Your Name”

Availability

What is your desired time horizon for this position (short vs. long term)?

Can you commit to this position for at least one year?

How many hours and on what days each week are you availabl e for this position?

Money

Given that this position starts at _________/hr DOE, what are your compensation goals after the first year of work?

Why You?

If you have not already done so in your initial cover letter response to our ad, in 300 words or less, explain why you are the ideal candidate for this position and what in your past experience has prepared for this opportunity. If you have already answered this, please copy/paste your response here.

Your Top 3 Motives

In priority sequence, what are your top 3 motivations for applying for this position?

Considerations or Concerns:

Do you have any questions, considerations or concerns that you would like me to address? If so, please share them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
wow, that is a pretty obnoxious questionnaire to send to every single applicant!

but the point of an interview will be to meet you, see what you're like in person, how you present yourself, whether you can speak and interact with humans well, and articulate your thoughts in the spoken word as well as the written.

so i think this questionnaire is pointless, but i don't think it makes the interview pointless.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:27 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
I imagine they will discuss and ask questions about your answers.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
They could also be screening candidates based on initial responses.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
They could also be screening candidates based on initial responses.

I agree. It's uncommon to ask this many questions off the bat but, personally, I'd rather have the time to write proper responses to these questions than to have to do this quickly and verbally in a f2f interview.
I'd bet the f2f interview will be relatively short ... a 1-rounder, perhaps.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
wow, that is a pretty obnoxious questionnaire to send to every single applicant!

but the point of an interview will be to meet you, see what you're like in person, how you present yourself, whether you can speak and interact with humans well, and articulate your thoughts in the spoken word as well as the written.

so i think this questionnaire is pointless, but i don't think it makes the interview pointless.

I agree its obnoxious, there is a question about pay with a blank space for the amount, the ad never specified. I think it puts me at a disadvantage to ask me what my compensation goals are a year after I start and I do not know what the range is that I will be starting with. I answered once we both determine we are a good fit then salary would be something to discuss.

It just seems like this line of questioning would be something to ask in the f2f meeting especially the way it ended. I asked the recruiter some questions however I have not yet received a response.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I agree. It's uncommon to ask this many questions off the bat but, personally, I'd rather have the time to write proper responses to these questions than to have to do this quickly and verbally in a f2f interview.
I'd bet the f2f interview will be relatively short ... a 1-rounder, perhaps.
I would have liked to have more time to prepare to answer also, but I did not want to take too much time replying because it may be perceived that I am unable to think quickly.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM

on a related note, i just started an application form, and one of the questions in the form is "what are your values?"

what the hell kind of question is that, seriously? i mean i know i can give some pat cliche answer, but "what are your values?"??

they also want to know what i am passionate about, which is easier to answer, but still kinda dumb.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,819 times
They are doing a brief personality overview. If they have a bunch of conservative people and you are into NASCAR and whoopin it up, perhaps you won't be a good fit. As far as the passionate piece, they want to see if you have motivation. If you are passionate about your family, will you be placing them above work?

Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM

these fields have a character limit of 79, by the way. so describe your values in 79 letters or less (including spaces and punctuation). i'm not sure what they can learn about me from that!

i mean seriously, that is a huge, open-ended question, not something i can sum up in a tiny blurb. i don't even know where to start answering that question. am i that unusual? i don't think so.

"what are you passionate about?" and "why do you want to work here?" also have the same character limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search