Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM

229 posts, read 879,469 times

Advertisements

My sister had an interview today for a rather large retail chain. The interview lasted for 30 minutes..however 20 of those minutes the questions being asked were about actress Betty White...the last 10 was doing a credit check and checking out her Facebook page.

Rather than being asked questions such as if she could do the job and/or her past work experience she was asked questions like "..what do you think of Betty's new TV Land show Hot In Cleveland?" My sister just played along which wasn''t easy for her since she doesn't watch TV much less having an interest in Betty White.

OK if you were my sister..how would you handle this? Walk out of the interview? Asked to be interviewed by someone else? Play along?

Last edited by cathy J.; 07-29-2010 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,306 times
Frankly,

The scenario you recounted sounds like the interview version of one one of those prank shows like "Punked" or one of those Date from Hell shows.

Am I being punk'd by replying?

If that had happened to me I might have just gotten right up and left.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
I would have said I have never seen the show and made a comment related to the position to get it on track.

Sometimes you have to take charge of the interview when you're dealing with an idiot.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy J. View Post
My sister had an interview today for a rather large retail chain. The interview lasted for 30 minutes..however 20 of those minutes the questions being asked were about actress Betty White...the last 10 was doing a credit check and checking out her Facebook page.

Rather than being asked questions such as if she could do the job and/or her past work experience she was asked questions like "..what do you think of Betty's new TV Land show Hot In Cleveland?" My sister just played along which wasn''t easy for her since she doesn't watch TV much less having an interest in Betty White.

OK if you were my sister..how would you handle this? Walk out of the interview? Asked to be interviewed by someone else? Play along?
I would have told them that I don't even own a television set - which is true. And then I would have asked some questions about the company and the position opening.

they sound like a bunch of idiots I don't think I'd want to work for them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy J. View Post

I've had interviews where the interviewee asked me non-work related questions but usually it was filler time; like when we were waiting for someone or someone was printing something. I don't mind them. Sometimes I think they just ask them to see how you handle water-cooler talk.

My company interviewed a girl who was 10 minutes late because of a bad accident. When she arrived we gave her a few minutes to calm down (she was visibly nervous about being late) and someone said "just be glad you weren't in the accident" and she replied "especially as high as my insurance is" that led to a 15 minute talk about Flo (the Progressive lady), the Snapple lady and the "where's the beef" lady. It was fun and I remember her interview like it was last week instead of two years ago.

Yeah how well you'll do the job is important but how you fit in with the current staff is important too. I hate when you interview someone and can't get any idea of their personality

Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,382,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
how well you'll do the job is important but how you fit in with the current staff is important too. I hate when you interview someone and can't get any idea of their personality
Exactly! They know what your experience is from your resume or application - if they're interviewing you, they want to get to know you, which means your personality.

So if they want to talk about TV shows, go with it! Trying too aggressively to "steer" the interview back to the job isn't always the best idea.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:51 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,721,841 times
There's nothing to be gained by walking out.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:58 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,403 times
The interviewer may be an idiot, but he has something you don't.....a job and the power to give you one. Walking out solves nothing.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:08 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I would have said I have never seen the show and made a comment related to the position to get it on track.

Sometimes you have to take charge of the interview when you're dealing with an idiot.
+1. However, I wouldn't characterize the interviewer as an idiot -- its likely to show up in your body language. He or she may not have had any training/experience in conducting an interview, and it turns out to be much more difficult/demanding than most realize.

Answering as Seain suggests, then asking a job-related question, is a good way to get things back on track.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I've had interviews where the interviewee asked me non-work related questions but usually it was filler time; like when we were waiting for someone or someone was printing something. I don't mind them. Sometimes I think they just ask them to see how you handle water-cooler talk.

My company interviewed a girl who was 10 minutes late because of a bad accident. When she arrived we gave her a few minutes to calm down (she was visibly nervous about being late) and someone said "just be glad you weren't in the accident" and she replied "especially as high as my insurance is" that led to a 15 minute talk about Flo (the Progressive lady), the Snapple lady and the "where's the beef" lady. It was fun and I remember her interview like it was last week instead of two years ago.

Yeah how well you'll do the job is important but how you fit in with the current staff is important too. I hate when you interview someone and can't get any idea of their personality
Excellent comment. Skilled interviewers are examining three things. They are Ability (can the candidate do the job), Motivation (will the candiate do the job) and Fit (how well the candidate will integrate into the company, culture, climate, work unit, etc.). The first and second are fairly easy to determine. The third is typically much more 'iffy'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search