Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
While I agree with the above posters, a long-sleeved poll shirt with chunks and a sports coat is an acceptable choice. Loaders, and you're good to go. You can immediately take off the coat if everyone else is really casual.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
What kind of chunks? I have seen shirts with chunks of food on them. Will that work? How about the kind of chunks my young kids would toss out when they lost their lunch, will those work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 12:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Ah the pleasures of auto-correcting smart phones. I typed c h in o s. And p o l o shirts. Sorry!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Gotta go with a suit. Does not matter if when you work there you will be wearing flip flops and jeans. Interview is dress to impress time.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:57 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Gotta go with a suit. Does not matter if when you work there you will be wearing flip flops and jeans. Interview is dress to impress time.
And if the listing explicitly states "dress to yourself, suits don't impress"?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
While I agree with the above posters, a long-sleeved poll shirt with chunks and a sports coat is an acceptable choice. Loaders, and you're good to go. You can immediately take off the coat if everyone else is really casual.

You don't take off your coat, unless someone says "take off your coat". You don't work there yet.

Unless as one poster said they tell you to dress in business casual you wear a suit.

You don't have the job yet, when you get the job you can be casual if that is the environment.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:06 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Ah the pleasures of auto-correcting smart phones. I typed c h in o s. And p o l o shirts.
I was wondering myself. I guess smart phones aren't all that smart, are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
And if the listing explicitly states "dress to yourself, suits don't impress"?
The OP is dressing to himself by wearing a suit. If he gets the job, there will be plenty of opportunity to dress like his co-workers.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Suits always impress. What is interesting is the part culture plays in "interview attire". I have interviewed people from many cultures, with different levels of education, for various positions. And have learned to put aside my white upper class, ivy league education in a northern state bias. It is really eye opening to see what a high school graduate from the south, who is Hispanic considers, "professional" attire. This is not putting anyone down. I had to adjust my personal bias. Because sometimes the person in the "right" suit, was not the right person for the job.

So, yes, dress appropriately, but realize the person with the right skill set, and attitude will get the job, dress code aside.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I'd wear a suit to the interviews, and for the one that says suits don't impress, I'd just take the jacket off and wear the button-down shirt and slacks.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Personally it seems pretty clear to me that showing up in a suit is not the best move. I would probably go slacks and a sports coat, no tie.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 PM

219 posts, read 541,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally it seems pretty clear to me that showing up in a suit is not the best move. I would probably go slacks and a sports coat, no tie.
I'm going to second that because they put the language in the add for a reason. Wearing a suit may tell them you are a rouge which may impress them, or it may backfire like the previous poster said (about paying attention to details in an IT position). My point would be remove the clothing from the interview. Nobody notices eyebrows unless they stand out, so wear something (not a suit) that won't stand out or at the most is given a quick look over. By the way, is it a Three Piece Suit?

I'd wear a tie though, there's a long stretch between wearing business casual and "suits don't impress".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search