Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 PM

21 posts, read 39,384 times

Advertisements

...to any job that advertises opening for "ROCKSTARS".

I see this every single day. "Do not apply unless you are a ROCKSTAR" "Rockstar ______ Wanted!" etc. Mostly on Craigslist.

It's a stupid choice of words, so obnoxious that it automatically makes me think the company writing the ad is just looking for gullible masses of people to scam.

(in fact, I pretty much gave up on Craigslist. I found a previous job there but it's just so full of trash now that it's worthless. Just had to vent!)

PS- I'm young and hang out with lots of musicians. I have spent lots of time in recording studios. I have been to a lot of shows and know a lot of bands. I promise you that what they think "rockstar" means isn't actually what it means

Good luck in your job search everyone! Let me know if you get interviewed at one of these companies searching for Rockstars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Quite obviously they don't mean they want literally a rock star. Nor do they want a literal groupie like you, either.

If you don't want to apply, fine. Don't.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,306 times
I think the OP is just making a point about what measures a company will take to be appealing. I agree that the term sounds desperate and annoying. "Rock Star"=expectation to perform at an extraordinary level.That's the same term used by an employer of an insurance company that I considered working for. I'm glad that didn't work out.

And I just about had it with Craigslist as well. Although I did see at least one real ad a week ago....

Old 06-11-2010, 05:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Rockstar is a long used term in the sales field. Obviously the OP is young and doesn't know corporate lingo.

In a Craigslist ad it means they want to work you to the bone in a commission only job selling vacuums door-to-door, no car allowance, no expenses paid. Stay away.

But in the corporate world it is used as well. When the company I work for was recently looking to fill a sales related position, we used the word "rock star" around the office to describe who/what we were looking for. (We didn't list it in the ad though.) The "Rockstar" we hired makes six figures.

By the way, I see that you live in the same area as I do. My guess is that you have no idea how many actual "rockstars" live in this area--there are a dozen or so multi-platinum musicians who live around here. Guys in local bands don't count, they aren't rockstars, they are guys in local bands. Which bands do you hang out with? What band does your husband play in?

Last edited by annerk; 06-11-2010 at 06:06 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I think the OP is just making a point about what measures a company will take to be appealing. I agree that the term sounds desperate and annoying. "Rock Star"=expectation to perform at an extraordinary level.That's the same term used by an employer of an insurance company that I considered working for. I'm glad that didn't work out.

And I just about had it with Craigslist as well. Although I did see at least one real ad a week ago....
Totally agree.

The ads I've seen for "rockstars" have, after further research and a lot of digging around on my part, ended up being really crappy jobs---most of which aren't even in sales. Even my employer has been throwing that term around.......for an admin position that barely pays minimum wage.

I don't even bother with Craigslist anymore.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Totally agree.

The ads I've seen for "rockstars" have, after further research and a lot of digging around on my part, ended up being really crappy jobs---most of which aren't even in sales. Even my employer has been throwing that term around.......for an admin position that barely pays minimum wage.

I don't even bother with Craigslist anymore.
I'm not sure I'd use the term "rockstar" for an admin type job.

Like I said earlier, it generally is used to describe someone in the sales field. It's the same idea as using the word "rainmaker" in a law firm.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Chill out #2, for every job app I dismiss for their silly ad, you have one less person to compete with!

I didn't know it was a sales term. I have never worked in sales. I see it frequently on entry-level admin, web design, programming, and customer service ads. I just thought it was strange how the term is thrown around!

Annerk, I live in L.A. now but was close to the band scene in Orlando and Atlanta. Music isn't really my thing but I know my husband has worked on some bigger albums (Grammy nominated, top 10, probably not platinum!).

Craigslist has some real jobs with small companies, mostly entry-level. I did get a job I liked from a Craigslist ad a couple of years ago. Otherwise all my jobs that I've gotten have been through applications to the company website or just walking in and asking for an application. I'm keeping an eye on it but not spending 8 hours a day refreshing the listings. In cities where posting a job ad is free (Orlando), Craigslist is completely useless.

Have any mid-career people found anything worthwhile on Craigslist? It seems like even the postings that ask for 5+ years experience, bilingual skills, a bachelor's degree, and your own car and laptop only pay $12/hour.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato06 View Post
Craigslist is completely useless.
I don't think the guy we hired yesterday who applied to our ad on Craigslist thinks so. I think he's making $18 an hour.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:34 AM

^ Are you in Orlando? That is truly evidence of a diligent job searcher, good for him!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato06 View Post
^ Are you in Orlando? That is truly evidence of a diligent job searcher, good for him!
Right outside of Orlando.

We currently have two skilled labor/trades positions, one technical position, and a dozen unskilled labor positions open. We're having a hard time filling them because we aren't on a LYNX route, won't let people smoke while they are working, and require a drug test and proof of citizenship or a greencard. That rules out the majority of the population looking for work in the fields we have openings in. (Except the technical position, we expect to start interviewing next week for that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search