Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,595 times

Advertisements

I went for an interview two Fridays ago. The interview went well, but I didn't get the feeling that I was going to get the job and I also had pretty much decided that I wouldn't take the job...too far away and not exactly what I want to do, but more money and it's a management position.

The guy I interviewed with said I would know in 24-48 hours or at the latest Friday - which was 3 days ago. I still haven't heard anything. I'm assuming they offered the job to someone else and are waiting until the accept the offer to notify everyone else?

I figured I would follow up today, but now as I sit here, I wonder if I should bother at all, not in the mood to get rejected today.

Should I bother to follow up, or just assume it is a rejection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
By the time you finished writhing this post, you could have written 2 follow up emails already.

What do you have to lose by following up?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
If you're not going to take it anyway, there's probably no reason why you would "need" to follow up here.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 AM

I feel that employers are playing all sorts of games these days and the guy specifically told me Friday at the latest, but most likely before then. You have to jump through hoops, but they can't even let you know after you spent half your day answering their questions. Since I probably won't take the job, I figured if I don't follow up then I wouldn't be "begging" for a job. I guess I figured I would feel better if they reached out rather than me.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I feel that employers are playing all sorts of games these days and the guy specifically told me Friday at the latest, but most likely before then. You have to jump through hoops, but they can't even let you know after you spent half your day answering their questions. Since I probably won't take the job, I figured if I don't follow up then I wouldn't be "begging" for a job. I guess I figured I would feel better if they reached out rather than me.
They're being like this because they can. If you think about it, 6 months ago, there were no jobs available. Now jobs are coming back online and they're doing all sorts of things like low balling offers, hiring overqualified people at lower levels because they can, not following up, etc. I think that if the job market continues to improve, eventually it'll be come a job seekers market and they won't be able to play these games. That may be a ways off though.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM

@ Roadwarrior ...I agree with you and I hope it happens sooner rather than later. I'm seeing people getting better jobs already and those unemployed for a while starting to get calls. I would just think that if I'm a company and am successful, why would I want to alientate people and put a bad taste in their mouth about my company? I don't think that all these companies thought that the recession would never end, or do they not care. In the age of the internet, SO much information is available. I've never been on glassdoor, but before I went to this interview I looked on their just out of curiousity...interesting stuff posted on there by people and their expriences. Don't companies realize that treating people this way, can potentially be a really bad thing down the line. I mean a company is people, right? Where are you going to be without us drones strolling in every morning and dealing with your crap!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Why so bitter? No employer has the time to play games with YOU or anybody. They have a job to do, making money that is.

Boss: Katestar, we need to get the floor cleaned because our largest customer will come for a visit next week. Oh, sorry, you have to work over the weekend because you are short handed.

You: But what about the candidate we want to hire? Can you give me your decision? I promised to give him an answer today.

Boss: It's OK, let's decide next week after the customer visit.

You: But I PROMISED him!!!

Boss: Let's worry about this next week. We still have time on the hiring.

You: I don't think so. It's tomorrow. Tomorrow is Friday. The day I promised to give him an answer.

Boss: Tomorrow we need to clean the floor. Let's do that first.

You: No, let's decide on the hiring first so that I can keep my promise.

Boss: #@%$@##, you are fired!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
How is your situation with the 1099 for ebay sales where the guy was using your Tax ID and paypal ?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 PM

Maybe it happened this way:

Boss: We need to clean the floor this weekend because we have our largest customer coming. Oh by the way, how's the candidate you just interviewed?

Katestar: He looks pretty good. Good experience and very pleasant to talk to.

Boss: So we should hire him?

Katestar: I think so.

Boss: Nah, let's play with him.

Katestar: What do you mean? I told him to give him an answer this Friday.

Boss: Let him hang in there for a while. Let's play hard to get and pretend that we are not interested by not keeping that promise.

Katestar: OK, that sounds a lot of fun!

Boss: Let's make him beg for the job!!!

Katestar: That's a great idea!!! We will see if he follows up with the interview. That will show us his character!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 PM

@ lifeexplorer, I think I have to disagree with you. Recruiting and hiring is very expensive and employers don't always want to wait too long so the candidate they want accepts another offer. We had that happen last month at my current job. Had to start the process all over again because they sat on their hands for too long.

I think it's disrespectful, rude and unprofessional. As to your example, I wouldn't pursue the boss like you describe, I would however, contact HR and ask them to reach out the candidates and let them know tha the decision won't be made until later. It would take all of 12 seconds, then I can go clean the floor. What's the problem with respecting people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search