Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:33 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
The best years in my opinion were 1995-1997. Prior to 1995 they suffered from a lot of electrical problems and the ones after 1997 came with the v8 which wasn't as reliable as the straight six. I think people buy them for their unique styling and very elegant interiors they also have very soft and smooth rides. In many cases smoother than BMW and Mercedes. The newer ones 2004 to present get very good gas millage for a large car with a v8 due to their light weight aluminum bodies.
The jags were rated #1 for reliability in JD Powers for 98, and #2 for 99.
I managed a jag dealership from 97-2002...Researched reliability issues to death. Had very few problems with the V8 engines. The 6 cyl 1996-97 weren't horrible, but not nearly as good as the V8. I'd a oid anything older than a 96. In 89 for example the only car worse than jag for reliability was Yugo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 04:49 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Jaguar recently closed down production and are investing in a new production line at the Castle Bromwich plant in England, as the XJ is being replaced by a new electric model.

Jaguar's 50-year old XJ model to be electric-powered - BBC News

Jaguar Land Rover announces electric car investment - BBC News

Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i like the styling on those older Jags. but my understanding is that the engines were unreliable. i always thought it would be cool to build up an older Jag with a later GM LS series engine and transmission.
I owned a '99 XJ8. The main issue with the engines was that Jaguar, for reasons that I have yet to fathom, put plastic timing chain tensioners on 1997-2000 models. Some pre-2000 models also had Nikasil-coated cylinders, and the Nikasil could peel off and really screw up your engine. Supposedly your engine would exhibit certain symptoms before the tensioners went, important because failure was catastrophic because it is an interference engine. I took my vehicle in because it had a coolant leak that I couldn't isolate (hoses run all over this engine, including some that you can't see). The shop checked my tensioners while it was in, and they were shot. My engine had exhibited none of the symptoms that owners would supposedly see before they went. I was potentially a key turn away from destroying the whole engine. Six months after spending four grand getting everything fixed on the engine, the sealed transmission failed. I was done with Jaguar. The drive, the ride and the comfort are the main draws. Mine became a money pit. Oh, and the paint was totally shot and the upholstery was beginning to split at the seams. The cosmetics alone would have set me back probably another $5-7K to set right, and I was looking at around five grand for the tranny.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,337 times
The Jaguar XJ may be a series of full-size luxury cars produced by British automobile manufacturer Jaguar Cars (becoming Jaguar Land Rover in 2013) from 1968 to 2019. It absolutely was produced across five basic platform generations (debuting in 1968, 1986, 1994, 2003, and 2009) with various updated derivatives of every.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:55 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
I was saddened to hear that the current Jag XJ series was phased out of production, as it's a very attractive looking, fun to drive, sedan. We've had two of them, a 2012 and a 2016. The '12, SADLY was totaled, when a distracted driver ran into my wife, as she was sitting at a traffic light. It was replaced by the '16, a beautiful car in it's own right, but I miss the "low-end" torque that the V-8 had, in the '12, compared to the V-6 in the '16, even though the V-6 is supercharged..

I can understand the sentiment regarding the older Jags, as they were certainly elegant cars. However, our 2001 XJ-8, as elegant as it was, drove like a pick-up truck, compared to the current platform. The newer cars have a completely redesigned front suspension, with much improved geometry.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:58 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I was saddened to hear that the current Jag XJ series was phased out of production, as it's a very attractive looking, fun to drive, sedan. We've had two of them, a 2012 and a 2016. The '12, SADLY was totaled, when a distracted driver ran into my wife, as she was sitting at a traffic light. It was replaced by the '16, a beautiful car in it's own right, but I miss the "low-end" torque that the V-8 had, in the '12, compared to the V-6 in the '16, even though the V-6 is supercharged..

I can understand the sentiment regarding the older Jags, as they were certainly elegant cars. However, our 2001 XJ-8, as elegant as it was, drove like a pick-up truck, compared to the current platform. The newer cars have a completely redesigned front suspension, with much improved geometry.
Really not sure what Jaguar is even doing these days. Supposedly they're going EV-only in 2025. XJ EV is cancelled, rumor is XF and XE is going to a single model and dropping the wagon variant. So you have one sedan that may or may not even be in development, the I-Pace which isn't a bad vehicle but certainly not a resounding sales success, and nothing on an electric F-Type.

Maybe Jaguar has an EV lineup they're keeping up their sleeve. That or they're in scramble mode to find someone to license an EV lineup from. No way I can see a company like Jaguar designing an actual EV lineup of vehicles by 2025 on their own from scratch.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:07 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Really not sure what Jaguar is even doing these days. Supposedly they're going EV-only in 2025. XJ EV is cancelled, rumor is XF and XE is going to a single model and dropping the wagon variant. So you have one sedan that may or may not even be in development, the I-Pace which isn't a bad vehicle but certainly not a resounding sales success, and nothing on an electric F-Type.

Maybe Jaguar has an EV lineup they're keeping up their sleeve. That or they're in scramble mode to find someone to license an EV lineup from. No way I can see a company like Jaguar designing an actual EV lineup of vehicles by 2025 on their own from scratch.

They could supposedly leverage their relationship with Land Rover or with further removed parts of Tata Motors to work on platforms together, though Tata Motors hasn't exactly been making any stellar moves in that space.

I always thought it'd be interesting if Dyson had instead of gone into trying to create an EV on its own had instead gone for purchasing one of the established British marques so that they'd at least have the brand, the base car, and the larger distribution and sales infrastructure while they worked on rolling out a powertrain.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They could supposedly leverage their relationship with Land Rover or with further removed parts of Tata Motors to work on platforms together, though Tata Motors hasn't exactly been making any stellar moves in that space.

I always thought it'd be interesting if Dyson had instead of gone into trying to create an EV on its own had instead gone for purchasing one of the established British marques so that they'd at least have the brand, the base car, and the larger distribution and sales infrastructure while they worked on rolling out a powertrain.
They're basically one company anyway.

The XJ EV was on the MLA platform, along with the upcoming Range Rover and probably the new Disco. Range Rover EV version was cancelled with the XJ EV and so by extension most likely is any upcoming Disco EV. That leaves Land Rover's first slated EV to be the Velar in 2024 which is the same thing as the Jaguar E-Pace. Not sure why you really need an E-Pace and an I-Pace when they're both EV-only. I-Pace probably gets discontinued with the next generation E-Pace. Then likely they build a sedan version of the E-Pace that's EV only. But that's not much of a lineup, one sedan and one crossover.

Likewise for Land Rover they planned on having six EVs by 2026.
Range Rover EV - canceled
Range Rover Sport - likely canceled with the Range Rover
Disco EV - likely canceled with the Range Rover EV

That really leaves the Velar, Disco Sport, and Evoque. Defender doesn't make much sense to do as an EV but who knows, maybe that could be a fourth.

Licensing an EV from Dyson could have been a possibility. But that's a hell of a gamble for JLR. It's one thing for a vacuum cleaner company to spinoff to make cars based on prototype technology that doesn't exist in the production world. If it doesn't pan out for them, which it didn't, they can always make vacuum cleaners. It's another thing for an established car company like JRL to bet their future on it.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:53 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
They're basically one company anyway.

The XJ EV was on the MLA platform, along with the upcoming Range Rover and probably the new Disco. Range Rover EV version was cancelled with the XJ EV and so by extension most likely is any upcoming Disco EV. That leaves Land Rover's first slated EV to be the Velar in 2024 which is the same thing as the Jaguar E-Pace. Not sure why you really need an E-Pace and an I-Pace when they're both EV-only. I-Pace probably gets discontinued with the next generation E-Pace. Then likely they build a sedan version of the E-Pace that's EV only. But that's not much of a lineup, one sedan and one crossover.

Likewise for Land Rover they planned on having six EVs by 2026.
Range Rover EV - canceled
Range Rover Sport - likely canceled with the Range Rover
Disco EV - likely canceled with the Range Rover EV

That really leaves the Velar, Disco Sport, and Evoque. Defender doesn't make much sense to do as an EV but who knows, maybe that could be a fourth.

Licensing an EV from Dyson could have been a possibility. But that's a hell of a gamble for JLR. It's one thing for a vacuum cleaner company to spinoff to make cars based on prototype technology that doesn't exist in the production world. If it doesn't pan out for them, which it didn't, they can always make vacuum cleaners. It's another thing for an established car company like JRL to bet their future on it.

Oh, I didn't mean license from Dyson--I mean Dyson trying to start off in the industry by purchasing one of the British marques rather than try to farm-to-table the whole thing (which ended up not working).

Old 06-09-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, I didn't mean license from Dyson--I mean Dyson trying to start off in the industry by purchasing one of the British marques rather than try to farm-to-table the whole thing (which ended up not working).
Well, what are you really getting if you're Dyson. Dyson ultimately failed at creating an EV largely because they failed to create a battery to go in it. The did ultimately have a concept using conventional batteries, but that was not commercially viable. Meanwhile over in JLR land they also failed to make their first attempt at a dedicated EV, the XJ Electric, as well as Land Rover's first EV (Range Rover Electric). Maybe they'll be more successful in subsequent attempts than Dyson was, maybe not. Dyson doesn't appear to have needed to buy an actual car company to get the same result that JLR did -- an EV that was not commercially viable.

I really don't know what JLR is going to do. I can't really see Jaguar actually being EV-only by 2025. It's a nice goal, but maybe it's too Plaid+. Everyone's kind of used to Tesla Mars Colonies by this point, but it's not really clear what Jaguar's backup plan is. Land Rover is probably fine without any EVs at least until

Last edited by Malloric; 06-09-2021 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar